Walking between my legs. - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By McGloomy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Walking between my legs.

Why does my pup insist on walking between my legs? He made me fall 3 times already. It drives me nuts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 11:18 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Tustin View Post
Why does my pup insist on walking between my legs? He made me fall 3 times already. It drives me nuts.
dont know but wait till he gets older, mine do it, and now shake their head as they walk through, now I call it a drive by, have noticed they do it to others that they like

Max Von barkstoomuch, T.D.Inc, EPI Survivor, Bloat Survivor
Heidi Von affraidofpeople
Lilah Von cantsitstill

Tester/Observer T.D.INC
Old 03-02-2019, 11:24 AM

Comfort , trusting you and staying close. Adjustments must happen when getting a puppy and one of them is.... look before you walk. slide your feet around your puppy and push them out of your way gently as you walk. I bet once people have kids they look down the stairs before walking down them. Something the didn't have to do before having kids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2019, 11:29 AM
Master Member

Sense of security. Some kids hide behind their parents when they're scared or feel threatened or just uncomfortable. Your pup will grow out of it. Good news is that means he trusts you.
Malibu likes this.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:10 PM
Master Member

How old is your puppy? How long have you had him?

It is very normal for young puppies to get under foot. If you are busy doing something then put your puppy in a crate. They do out grow it and become more independent and comfortable in their environment. If you just got your puppy his world just changed 100% and he is staying close to the one thing he knows best right now, it will stop as he settles in. It's like taking a young child somewhere totally new, you will often see them literally hanging onto a parents leg so they don't loose track of them. Be patient and be kind. Soon enough you will miss it so enjoy it while it lasts.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:57 PM

That's what they do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Tustin View Post
I have two now and have had others before. As your pup lives with you, you will notice that he probably wants to be in some form of physical contact with you at all times. As I type this, my male has his head on my foot. It is because they really, really love you (seriously) (did I say SERIOUSLY?), and walking between your legs is pretty much a full body hug for them.

I have two pups, male and female, both 100+ pounds, and they like to do it at the same time. You just get used to it and walk a little funny any time they are around so you are prepared.

If you want to turn it into something productive, teach them to do a "horsey" where they will walk with you that way.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:33 PM

in short order you can give it a name and reward it. Teach your pup to walk to the left, the right and center. If it is a game you play together it will serve you well over time.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in