German shepherd puppy 8 weeks biting/nipping - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

German shepherd puppy 8 weeks biting/nipping

Hi everyone, yesterday I bought my first GSD. He I'd almost 9 weeks we love him his temprement so far is excellent. Only problem we are having is his puppy biting but his little razor sharp teeth. I understand this is a complete norm in puppy phases I'm just curious does anyone have any tip/advice on how I can counteract this in any way. Thanks for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 04:19 PM
Master Member

Redirect with a toy, fluffy and good sized works well. Provide appropriate things to chew on and appropriate exercise as an outlet. Biting will pass with maturity. Some puppies are more bitey than others and some really enjoy it so if they think it is a game because you yell and "fight" back some will get more intense and really turn on. Always keep a toy on hand and make a note of when your puppy is most likely to bite and be prepared. Some will also get bitey when they are tired and need a nap so crating is your friend.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that I appreciate it. I have a crate I'm using at the minute. He just crys the whole time he's in it at the minute so just waiting for that to pass. I've had dogs before but never a GSD so just getting used to his ways. Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 05:34 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas1990 View Post
Thanks for that I appreciate it. I have a crate I'm using at the minute. He just crys the whole time he's in it at the minute so just waiting for that to pass. I've had dogs before but never a GSD so just getting used to his ways. Thanks again

My last pup was not happy about being crated, but with time he got use to it. Stuffed kongs can help distract them and also crating in a room you are in so they don't feel abandoned.

Sarah Stremming did a podcast about Happy Crating that has some good tips and is ONE method to helping dogs accept crating.
https://thecognitivecanine.com/blog/happy-crating/

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 05:48 PM
Crowned Member

OK look up "crate games" Implement the same. Your puppy, if this is done "right", will love going into the crate. Maybe there will be a need to work up to longer periods (as in more than 30 seconds) in the crate but.... I've had great success with the last one on crate games. (Other stuff not so much but crate games, yes!)

On biting - tug toys help a lot, too.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-17-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone, yesterday I bought my first GSD. He I'd almost 9 weeks we love him his temperament so far is excellent. Only problem we are having is his puppy biting but his little razor sharp teeth.
Welcome to the forum & Congrats on the new puppy!

I hope your puppy time is fun and that those razor sharp teeth don't do too much damage. The previous advise given, "to offer toys and chews to deter chewing on you", is good advice. I hope it works for you.

My rowdy puppy, Cassie, is 7 months old now. Thankfully, she has her big girl teeth and is almost done with teething (but not with chewing on me). She has been very rowdy and an extreme naughty nibbler. Those razor-sharp baby teeth can do some damage.

I've read where some people recommended tug-a-war with puppies. With, Cassie, I had to avoid tug-a-war for a few months. She had a natural tendency to want to play tug-a-war with clothing (pant legs, sleeves, edges of sweaters, etc.). I have several damaged articles of clothing.

Quote:
I have a crate I'm using at the minute. He just crys the whole time he's in it at the minute so just waiting for that to pass.
There is a stuffed animal you can get that has a heart beat. Many people report it can be helpful to comfort a puppy in it's crate. You can find one at pet stores or online sources. I've seen them at Chewy.com or Amazon.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 06:17 AM

bitting

Even with his toys, my puppy bit me once and I screamed (yelped)bloody murder and bit him back, that was the end of biting stage. Learned thatfrom trainers a long time ago.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 06:19 AM

Train bite inhibition the same way you train your sits, downs and stays. Bit of kibble in your fist, move your closed fist around pup's head, mouth, neck etc. If he tries to bite, pull hand back. Reward with the kibble when he doesn't bite.
Clare likes this.

What do I want? I want a GSD! When do I want it? NOW!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all that everyone. Im currently working at the biting. Having a really issue with the crating. He cries none stop when hes in it.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 10:40 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Thanks for all that everyone. Im currently working at the biting. Having a really issue with the crating. He cries none stop when hes in it.

You'll have to learn to tough it out when he's whining/crying......they all eventually get tired-quit whining and go to sleep other wise the crate will become useless....when you let him out because he's noisy all he learns is.....whine loud and long enough...I get released
Sabis mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page