Death by separation? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 39Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Death by separation?

Is it normal for a 12-week old puppy to whine and yelp at 130 dB whenever I leave the room or put him in the crate to brush my teeth, do laundry, use the restroom, etc.? I have been fortunate enough to spend basically the whole time with him for the last two weeks, but that will be ending as I start working more (pretty flexible schedule, but still). It really sounds like the pup thinks he's dying when I leave the room. Is this separation anxiety or some normal kind of thing? Thanks.
das1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 01:06 PM

Yup. Lol. My 5month old velcro puppy would howl like someone was murdering her if I tried to shower with the door closed. What worked for me was 1) crate training. We can leave her alone now and trust her to be quiet. 2) Leaving the house 50 times and coming back. I would walk out and come right back in before she had a chance to cry. Our trainer suggested it and it was really effective. It got old real fast when you have to walk out 50 times. 😂 but it was really effective.
car2ner, Datura and CactusWren like this.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 01:24 PM

Like anything else, this pup needs to practice having time alone. Start with many small moments and try not return while he is pitching a fit. It might mean hoping he'll catch his breath long enough so you can come back when he is quiet.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 02:12 PM

I just read about some stuffed toy for puppies that has an actual audible heartbeat noise that you put in puppy's

crate. Some reviewers say they really work for separation anxiety and puppy curls up next to toy and falls asleep.
CactusWren likes this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 02:16 PM

Here's one of the heartbeat toys. Amazon has a couple other brands:

https://www.amazon.com/SmartPetLove-.../dp/B000C9YHFS
CactusWren likes this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 02:22 PM
Crowned Member

I think it is normal. I had one who just screamed bloody murder when I left him alone. I think it is best to start teaching them right off the bat that they will be left and it's okay. I think it is totally normal for a baby to try and alert its caretaker that it thinks iit has been forgotten. They don't know any better.

They learn by repetition of being left and us coming back but if they scream the whole time then they think their screaming brought you back. So you do have to wait them out, which is hard. My one was tough but we got through it and he is a totally balanced adult now who is fine to be alone loose, crated, kenneled, in the home, the truck, wherever.

Had I not worked through this with him when he was teeny I dread to think how awful he could be now that he is a 90lb dog. I remember him grabbing his crate bars and biting and pulling but he did not have the strength to do anything, now imagine if he still had that behavior as a 90lb adult? Persevere!
Judy Untamed likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 02:56 PM

Someone is asking whether it is normal for a GSD to whine and yelp because (insert your favorite reason)? LOL!

OMG, yes. They talk about everything and they will follow you from room to room and feel deprived if you leave their sight for even a moment. Your best bet is just to count on staying within arm's reach of your GSD 24/7, and some sort of physical contact such as their paw on your foot while they sleep may be required.

You know that word "shepherd" in their name? That's their life. Seriously. That GSD will probably follow you around and take notes on everything you do just to make sure you are safe.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 03:36 PM
Master Member

I dont find this behavior normal but more of a created behavior. If the pup is sick,hungry thirsty or needs to go potty etc then I can see howling. Other then that nope not normal. This is most likely created and he learned he screams u come running u may not be doing that now but in the first week I’m sure you did. Pups are smart so imo if he not sick, hungry etc then ignore completely till he stops as soon as he goes let him out and give treat or give treat while still in crate.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusWren View Post
Is it normal for a 12-week old puppy to whine and yelp at 130 dB whenever I leave the room or put him in the crate to brush my teeth, do laundry, use the restroom, etc.? I have been fortunate enough to spend basically the whole time with him for the last two weeks, but that will be ending as I start working more (pretty flexible schedule, but still). It really sounds like the pup thinks he's dying when I leave the room. Is this separation anxiety or some normal kind of thing? Thanks.
I know this will sound like heresy to some but that reaction is one reason I have never crated any of my puppies. For example, I had one GSD that I could teach everything instantly. If I did something twice the same way, we were done with the training. No treats or praise were even required.

There was one exception to that. He would refuse to do any command such as "stay" or "fetch" that required him to be more than a few feet away from me. He viewed those commands as punishment and sat there crying wondering what he had done that I would treat him so cruelly as to make him stay fifteen feet away. When I finally called him, he came to my feet and wept and begged forgiveness for whatever he had done that caused this great trouble in our friendship that I didn't want to be touching him.

I got the same reaction from crating him. He didn't regard the crate as "secure". He regarded it as "punishment." I got the same reaction from my current two puppies. They prefer to be with me, whatever. They don't know what that crate is about. As others have said, get them used to your absence in small increments.

Mine do not have pathological separation anxiety when I am gone. Just be careful what "toys" you leave lying around when you go. A "toy" is anything that weighs less than 50 pounds.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm97 View Post
Someone is asking whether it is normal for a GSD to whine and yelp because (insert your favorite reason)? LOL!

OMG, yes. They talk about everything and they will follow you from room to room and feel deprived if you leave their sight for even a moment. Your best bet is just to count on staying within arm's reach of your GSD 24/7, and some sort of physical contact such as their paw on your foot while they sleep may be required.

You know that word "shepherd" in their name? That's their life. Seriously. That GSD will probably follow you around and take notes on everything you do just to make sure you are safe.
😂😂 Cracked up laughing when I read that! They totally do take notes I swear. Here’s my GS right now! Both paws on me making sure I don’t leave while she decimates a bully stick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B4026674-AEA8-4F6B-91A6-C057E7C42991_1548368092562.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	517433  
das1 likes this.

Last edited by germanshepowner; 01-24-2019 at 06:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page