Feeling discouraged, need some help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Feeling discouraged, need some help

I have a 4 month old GSD puppy who barks at people and dogs. His barking is improving and he doesn’t bark as much as he used to so I’m hoping with more training and when we start obedience training this week, it’ll get better.

The one thing that has been discouraging for me has been his barking towards kids. I’ve been struggling to socialize him with young children (especially toddlers) because my boyfriend and I have no kids. We don’t really have any relatives that have young children either except for my boyfriend’s half siblings which he gets along with (because they are around 8-13 years old). I’ve been clicking and treating with toddlers from afar but I find when the toddler comes close he will bark. Only once have I seen him accept a pet from a toddler and not bark/snap. I love my puppy so much and I don’t want him to do this but I don’t know how to socialize him without being anxious over every encounter with a toddler. Any tips? And also - is this normal for a puppy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 02:29 PM

Yes the training should improve the situation, but keep in mind...you as well as the pup need to benefit from the classes. You need to be able to 'read' the dog. You need to be able to act or react in a moments notice. It's not difficult to read the difference between if it's just excited and wants to play or is it ready to pounce on its prey. The GSD is an extremely intelligent breed and good or bad, they learn from what they see in their environment. If they see that you are weak, ie... give in easily, they will trounce on the opportunity. It's been my experience that a GSD puppy will constantly attempt to be the alpha in your household. As they mature, they will learn where they stand in the pecking order and not be so challenging all the time.I never sought outside help with training any of my girls and think I did quite well for the most part.

edit...I have twin 5 yo grandsons and my 9 mo old GSD gets overly excited every time she sees them. At times she seems out of control excited, but I know what's going on. Until I get her trained with how to act and behave, she will be crated or on a tight leash to keep her from knocking my grandsons to the ground. She's done it already

Last edited by MrGSD; 01-07-2019 at 02:36 PM. Reason: additional info
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 02:52 PM

My last post didn't really come across as I intended thanks to my pup pestering me that she wanted to play. Kinda hard to think, type and play with these critters

To summarize, don't feel discouraged. What your seeing is likely just normal behavior for a young pup that needs to learn what it can and cannot do.

I wish you the best and don't give up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:58 PM

If it helps, my boy was very child reactive in his first year or more. He still gets very interested when we are out and about and he sees small children, but as he gets older (20 months now) I have noticed he is able to contain himself more easily with fewer reminders from me. Four months is very young, he still has so much learning and maturing to do!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 01:03 PM

My girl is about 11 months. She went through a period of time where she barked and lunged at people and dogs every time she saw them. All we did was give a firm no and pull her away from the excitement. She still does it sometimes, but not as often and not as bad. This is my first dog. Every time I think a bad behavior isnt getting resolved, it starts to lessen over time. I'm no expert, but it seems like a pretty normal behavior in a puppy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page