• 1 Post By Fodder
  • 1 Post By Mei
  • 1 Post By McGloomy
  • 1 Post By Katsugsd
  • 1 Post By Malibu

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Question Puppy attacks chuck it

Hi, my puppy LOVES to chase tennis balls. I have been using the Chuck-it to toss balls across the yard. My problem is she ATTACKS the chuck-it as soon as I put it on the ground to pick up a ball. I can't seem to get across to her to leave it alone.

I've tried.

Ending play when she attacks it
having her sit and wait - breaks and attacks when it hits the ball
trying to slow down the pick up of the ball and praise for her wait.

Nothing seems to work. Turns into a very frustrating play time for me.

Any suggestions? She is 4 months and very well behaved otherwise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 11:19 PM
Crowned Member

From what you posted, it seems you are trying to pick up the ball with the chuck-it. If that's the case, pick up the ball with your hand (yes, you will have to bend over a bit further) then place the ball in the chuck it. That would be what I would try. You may have to experiment with how you hold the chuck it while you pick up the ball with your hand. That's all I've got - basically work with your dog/work around your dog. Sometimes you need to do that....

And train "leave it"... that helps, too.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 11:57 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shebasdad View Post
Hi, my puppy LOVES to chase tennis balls. I have been using the Chuck-it to toss balls across the yard. My problem is she ATTACKS the chuck-it as soon as I put it on the ground to pick up a ball. I can't seem to get across to her to leave it alone.

I've tried.

Ending play when she attacks it
having her sit and wait - breaks and attacks when it hits the ball
trying to slow down the pick up of the ball and praise for her wait.

Nothing seems to work. Turns into a very frustrating play time for me.

Any suggestions? She is 4 months and very well behaved otherwise.
My pup did the exact same thing too. (He will be 1yo next week.) In fact he got a hold of the ball holder part and broke it off of the rod a few months ago. I had to purchase a new one. What I did to "fix" that problem was to have several balls on hand. So while he is chasing the ball, I pick up another ball. When he comes back with the first ball and drops it, I throw the other one. And while he's off chasing that one, I pick up the first one. Rinse repeat. So now...months later...he's not so focused on the Chuckit thrower anymore. He's just waiting for that next ball to go. So he doesn't have the time to go after the thrower. In fact, I usually keep more than 2 balls on hand in case he's in one of those moods and won't give me any of his balls. I hope that works for you.
Nigel likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 11:58 PM

Use 2 balls. Pick up one while she’s chasing the other.
middleofnowhere likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 01:21 AM
Mei
Master Member

A third vote for two balls. Get the rubber ones with the holes that make it whistle and hide treats in them. Just a thought. Safer in their teeth too instead of the wear they get from tennis balls.

Also this looks like a good opportunity to teach her a "leave it" or "drop it" command.
tc68 likes this.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 02:50 AM
Master Member

Does your pup act aggressively when you try to pick up the ball?

If he doesn't, just 'very eager' too:
The 'leave it' command. Make him sit after he drops the ball. That's what I trained my dog to do, because he's just eager but not aggressive at all.

If he acts aggressively:
The 2 balls.
tc68 likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 08:16 AM

Every dog of mine has gone through a short phase of "attack the weird green stick." I honestly think to them it looks like a toy (cuz it is) and they want to grab it.

I also recommend the two balls, though I do think your pup will get over going after the chuck-it stick.
tc68 likes this.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung BCAT TC CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 08:14 PM

My girl loves to attack any kind of tool, be it the chuck it, a shovel, spade, rake, etc... The list goes on! It's not aggression per say, she just has a super high drive to bite any moving object, particularly a stick that is being waved around, which is what the chuck it is essentially lol. I definitely think if you persevere with the sit, stay, leave it commands you will win eventually. I would be tempted to practice these with another high value toy, having the toy in front of her and getting her to leave it before she can play with it. You can also practice this with her food at mealtimes. You say she breaks when you reach to get the ball, might be a good opportunity as you are doing this to reinforce the commands and the reward with a treat, and a strong NO and SIT if she breaks and straight back to waiting again. She will learn Good luck!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 10:01 PM

Put tabasco sauce on the end....
Custom Billet likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 03:44 AM

OR his he picking up the stick and telling you to throw more-more, faster, faster please? Like the others have said more balls so he doesn’t get the chance to ATTACK that stick. My dog does the same with a horse lounge whip that I spin around for him to chase. When I am done he grabs it just as I put it away and pushes it back at me to keep twirling, one of these days I will record my dog (trying to) twirl the horse lounge whip around on his own
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page