Tips for surviving puppy puberty with my sanity mostly intact? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 13Likes
  • 1 Post By Datura
  • 1 Post By tim_s_adams
  • 1 Post By Bramble
  • 1 Post By Gloria Moretz
  • 5 Post By Heartandsoul
  • 1 Post By Datura
  • 2 Post By Soldes
  • 1 Post By ausdland

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 01:45 AM Thread Starter

Tips for surviving puppy puberty with my sanity mostly intact?

So Dean is 8 days away from being 8 months old.
And puberty has hit.
We have upped the training, brain games, and exercise. But tonight was the first time he willfully ignored me.
My son is 15, and also going through puberty lol
So I am looking for some tips and tricks to help me keep my sanity during these trying times lol
How would you handle a pup that chose to ignore a command that you know they know and had done 10 minutes before lol

Staying drunk for the next few years is tempting, but unpractical I've been told lol
sit,stay likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 02:02 AM
Crowned Member

with the kid, let it go but keep him busy, with the dog up your game, but also remember to laugh with both, it's not their fault LOL!

Oh yeah, and sanity is overrated anyway (not that there's a chance you'll keep it anyway)
Datura likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 08:16 AM
Master Member

https://dogtrainingdunedin.co.nz/201...perfect-puppy/
Datura likes this.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 08:32 AM

Puppy puberty

Get used to it..lol! Mine is 14 months old and a handful..they grow up at about 2/12 3 years old! We love him..trainer really helped..he also took the AKC Good Citizen Course...just be strict with your commands and make SURE he or she gets tons of exercise and love.
Datura likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 05:34 PM
Elite Member

Pick your battles and don't react to anything else i.e. Protests, hissy fits, etc. and stay calm when you catch the whipper snapper. The quieter the better. I've raised both humans and a GSD. It worked for both species ;-)

Oh, and the do-overs. My boy (GSD) learned that blowing me off just meant he would have to do it over til he got it right. No fuss no muss just do it right once and then release.

Funny story, a couple days ago he (my GSD) and I came back from a ride. Shut the car off, opened the door but hadn't given the command to jump out. Right at that point my son opened the front door and called him. He leaps out and runs in the house. He's 7, he knows better. So I go in the house, take hold of the leash that was still attached to him and quietly motioned him to hop back in the car the door still open and he was perched at the edge ready to spring. then I tell my son to call him again with lots of enthusiasm. Haha! My boy managed to control himself cause he knew if he didn't wait for the command he was going to get another dreaded do-over. Made him wait just a couple seconds. Don't over do the do-overs.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks you guys.
I don't think my bulldog gave me this much trouble when she was going through puberty haha
Today he spent about 15 minutes barking at nothing really. He barked at something on tv, then my bulldog got to barking when I finally got him to stop, then he started when I got her to stop, and on and on lol
We went for a walk last night, on our usual rout downtown, and he was super alert, kept bumping into my leg. But once we got down to the park I had him do a few things and he listened, but then on our way home I asked him to touch, and he refused, and was focused on some people across the street at the grocery store, so I walked him up the street a bit, stood between him and the store so he couldn't focus on them, put my hand about an inch from his nose so all he has to do is lean forward, and ask him to touch again. He gave me such an F you look lol I kept my hand there for about 5 minutes until he finally did it. I swear he rolled his eyes at me as he did it lol We spent the rest of the walk home with him doing sits, downs, here's, and a bunch of touches, and after those couple refusals he was back to his happy go lucky, willing to please self lol
tim_s_adams likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 07:38 AM

GSD new owner here, after a 40 year hiatus with no 4 legged friend. We also can attest as to what you are going through, since my boy is going to be 1 year old at the end of this month. What has kept my sanity, is educating myself as much as I can, and firmly realizing that this is a Stage in the life of the pup. Many post and good recommendations, are available in this great site of GSD higher learning; and guess what?, I'm slowly beginning to see signs of improvement lately. Trust the natural progression of life of this great animals, and like me; rejoice at any small sign of maturity that you see during this time. We have a firm conviction, that when maturity hits, we will have a well behave second to none companion; that will not only be a part of our family, but will also give us back much more that we have put into his developmental process.
Attached Images

Datura and Slapshot12 like this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 01:23 PM
Elite Member

Firm, consistent leadership and time out, loss of privileges for both when they willfully disobey and test you
Datura likes this.

Yana

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Today has been a difficult day today in terms of him listening and not getting into trouble.
He has been picking on my other dog, who is a 6 year old English bulldog, so she is nowhere near as energetic as he is lol . Going after the cats, trying to take food right off my mom's plate. So he has been on the lead in the house most of this evening.
I have heard that the puppies that are the hardest to deal with during puppyhood grow up to be the best dogs, so I keep repeating that to myself haha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page