Peeing the bed every night - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Peeing the bed every night

My puppy is 13 weeks old and is peeing the bed inside her crate every night. She doesn't wine when she has to pee, but does wine when she has to poop. I take her out for poops when she wines, but she doesn't tell me when she has to pee. I'm wondering if she has bladder control issues. She always pees on the carpet, and poops outside in the designated area.

She has been potty trained poop outside, but won't pee outside also.

How can I get her to pee outside and stop wetting the bed every night?

She is German Shepard and Labrador Retriever mix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Views:	29
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	514825  

--IeeTeY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 03:07 PM

How long before bed time do you take the water up from her? I go to sleep around 11:30 so by 930 i take the water up. If any jogging or heavy play is done after that ill give him some but very limited, I promise she will be fine and wont die of dehydration. Always take her out right before bedtime and go absolutely ballistic with praise and treats when she does go outside. 13 weeks is very young so just stick with a routine and it should get better. GOOD LUCK!
tc68 and [email protected] like this.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzTheGSD View Post
How long before bed time do you take the water up from her? I go to sleep around 11:30 so by 930 i take the water up. If any jogging or heavy play is done after that ill give him some but very limited, I promise she will be fine and wont die of dehydration. Always take her out right before bedtime and go absolutely ballistic with praise and treats when she does go outside. 13 weeks is very young so just stick with a routine and it should get better. GOOD LUCK!
Thanks I'll have to try that. I've been giving her water without restriction, and she even drinks water in the middle of the night after a poop. I'll have to monitor the water more.

--IeeTeY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Castillo View Post
Thanks I'll have to try that. I've been giving her water without restriction, and she even drinks water in the middle of the night after a poop. I'll have to monitor the water more.

Yes, I can almost guarantee you will see a change right away if you do this and it is in no way animal cruelty. Just like us, if you chug a water bottle right before sleep youre most likely waking up around 330 for a bathroom break, and her bladder is 1/10 the size of yours. Hope this helps, let us know in a week if you see any change!
[email protected] likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 03:42 PM

I trust you're cleaning up the pee spots on the carpet and bedding, and inside the crate with an enzymatic cleaner like "Nature's Miracle", right?
If you don't, the lingering residue will tell your pup, "this is where to pee".

Absolutely take the water up like suggested and watch the pup to be sure she pees when taken out. Praise praise praise when she does.

Take the pup out for potty
-after she wakes from a nap
- after meals
-after 30 minutes of play
-first thing in AM
-last thing at night

And if she's 13 weeks, probably every 3 hrs during the night, just to be safe. You can go longer periods as the pup gets older and that bladder gets bigger.
Darius Castillo likes this.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 03:48 PM

Another thing to add would be the crate.. How big is it? Sometimes if you get the really big crate for a small pup they have no problem going to the bathroom on one side then sleeping on the other side. If this is the case i would try to section it off just enough for her to go in, turn around and fall asleep.
In the beginning I was getting up every morning at 3am on the dot to take him out so he wouldnt get used to going in the crate, its tough but it works. Now hes almost 5 months and usually sleeps until 730-745 so it does get better

Last edited by BlitzTheGSD; 11-29-2018 at 03:50 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 05:10 PM

My 1st thought is your crate is to big. Crate size for a full grown dog needs to be cut in half. Put a large box in crate with towel over it to cut her off. She only needs room to do a circle and sleep. Use clean blankets..
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 05:56 PM
Crowned Member

I would make sure you are getting up a couple of times at night to take her outside. She is too young to go all night without potty breaks. CARRY her outside, don't let her have opportunity to go on your rug.

With that said, she is one awfully cute puppy!

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 06:07 PM
Elite Member

Hokhmah hasn't peed in her kennel since I got her at 8wks, she will be 11wks tomorrow.. But, she is carried outside for night time potty, water intake is restricted after 7pm and she sleeps through the night but I am up by 5 or 530 at the latest... Throughout the day after a good play she is taken out, if I think she might need to go even if she was laying quiet but it has been anything 30min on up to an hour or so just so she learns where to go when she needs to go... She doesn't whine to go out but will head to the back door... She is never put of sight..
If she is, trouble is running amok
tc68 likes this.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 08:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all suggestions and I try to do the best I can to cleanup the pee after it touches the carpet. She has a doggy bed from PetsMart that is huge and take up half of the kennel. I could restrict the space to just enough for her to be in the bed. I have to machine wash the bed every morning because she is peeing on the cushion of the bed.

--IeeTeY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page