Biting - When Puppies attack, and "OUCH!" is not enough - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Biting - When Puppies attack, and "OUCH!" is not enough

Loving life with Giada, our 8.5 week old LANDSHARK. she's a delight and has a fairly soft mouth...sometimes. In puppy kindergarten she listens to our "yelps" when teaching bite inhibition and backs off. Not so much at home.

Particularly at night when she gets the zoomies, but also at other times throughout the day, she'll get it into her head to bite - HARD - and no amount of yelping or saying "OUCH!" no matter how loud and forceful will get her to stop. She simply ignores Yesterday she broke the skin for the first time on my hand.

I know this is normal puppy exploration. We redirect to chew toys and Bully Sticks. She gets plenty of exercise and sleep (LOTS of sleep) and is coming along well with basic household manners training other than this.

So what do the veterans do when "OUCH!" isn't enough?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181129_065438_842_1543514952296.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	368.0 KB
ID:	514819   Click image for larger version

Name:	signal-2018-11-26-094857_1543514962977.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	514821  

Oz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 02:20 PM

Mine may not be the best advice, but I pop my puppy on the mouth when she bites and tell her "no" and re-direct her to a "chew toy" or "play tug of war". This has developed a sense of whenever she thinks about biting my feet or hand, a pop on the mouth will come along with it, she often pulls herself away now and doesn't bite anymore.

This pop on the mouth hasn't tarnished the relationship or trust between us, she is still very obedient during training sessions, loving and caring on off leash walks and playing together.

Your puppy seems to be a Belgian Malinois and German Shepard mix from the looks. I've heard Malinois take a little longer to train in terms of bite inhibition. So, just be patient.

Raw Hide Bones and Chew Toys that have ropes she can tear at will be best. Soft chew toys won't benefit as much.

Last edited by Darius Castillo; 11-29-2018 at 02:24 PM.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 02:23 PM

She is soooooo cute!

This is exactly where I am currently. My boy is just about 5 months old and a great white landshark, saying ouch just amps him up.There is no solution for me except for redirecting with a tug toy, most of the time it works, sometimes it doesnt. When it doesnt it just means he is overly stimulated so I usually put him in his crate for like 10 minutes to cool down.

Always have a toy close by, I now have them on every table in my house just in case he starts in I have one readily accessible. It used to be he would bite me 90% and the toy 10% but everyday is getting better, id say were even doing better than 50/50 now.
This is a process that may take several months, just stick with it and be diligent. It will def get to you some days but you seem to have a good hold on the situation. Obedience, exercise and bully sticks ( i freeze peanut butter in kongs and he goes at that for hours) are your best friend right now! GOOD LUCK and wear long sleeves!!
Attached Images

tc68 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darius Castillo View Post
Mine may not be the best advice, but I pop my puppy on the mouth when she bites and tell her "no" and re-direct her to a "chew toy" or "play tug of war". This has developed a sense of whenever she thinks about biting my feet or hand, a pop on the mouth will come along with it, she often pulls herself away now and doesn't bite anymore.

This pop on the mouth hasn't tarnished the relationship or trust between us, she is still very obedient during training sessions, loving and caring on off leash walks and playing together.

Your puppy seems to be a Belgian Malinois and German Shepard mix from the looks. I've heard Malinois take a little longer to train in terms of bite inhibition. So, just be patient.

OK so ill start with saying do not 'pop' your 8.5 week old puppy in the mouth.
Also, this is a WLGS.
Also please dont give your dogs rawhide
Suka, tc68, JessicaR and 1 others like this.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 02:50 PM

Maybe you need to bite back
ausdland likes this.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 02:53 PM

A lot of puppies simply dont respond or fear when you try to make corrections or try to do what youre saying and "pop" them in the mouth. In fact, that might make them want to bite more. You have to understand this is a working breed that was made to bite. In my opinion, deal with it and the pup will grow out of it as it matures, just part of owning a GSD pup.
BlitzTheGSD likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmags View Post
A lot of puppies simply dont respond or fear when you try to make corrections or try to do what youre saying and "pop" them in the mouth. In fact, that might make them want to bite more. You have to understand this is a working breed that was made to bite. In my opinion, deal with it and the pup will grow out of it as it matures, just part of owning a GSD pup.
I agree, and I don't pop in the mouth consistently. It was used 1-2 times to get the message across when she was around 11 weeks old, and she's held herself back from biting with force ever since. She still bites softly and gently though.

--IeeTeY
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 03:09 PM

I try not to make a big deal out of it. Sometimes I say "ouch" but its more of because it actually hurt than to get them to let go, lol. Puppies are mouthy. Just keep redirecting.

Odd suggestion - Wear gloves when playing with her maybe? I wore some the first few weeks I had Steel while I was training him since his little teeth were making my thumb bleed.

You could try getting up and walking away, ignoring her to see if that makes a difference. Don't wait too long though, maybe 1 minute and go back to playing. See if she catches on. I feel she'll just chase you, nipping at your legs, though.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung BCAT TC CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 03:14 PM
Master Member

You can try negative reinforcement. Try to set up a situation in your house where you can play with your pup and it is likely she will start biting. A bedroom would work. As soon as she starts to bite, immediately turn away from her and walk out of the room and shut the door. Give her a few minutes and be sure to praise anytime she is not biting. You will have to do a lot of repetitions of this process. Some dogs just have such a high level of drive, you just do the best you can and wait for them to mature.
ausdland and saintbob like this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 03:49 PM
Crowned Member

Just don't wait for a bite. Always have a toy with you that you can hold in front of her mouth. It teaches them to focus on toys instead. If they bite, you have given them the time to do it. It requires alertness though and not too much freedom for the pup.
I have always used rawhide, the largest sizes and USA made, for pups before they have their new teeth. Never had a problem. Once the big teeth are in they devour large pieces in a short time which can very well cause blockages as that stuf swells up like crazy. Then they graduate to bully sticks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page