WL puppy blues... - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 147Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

WL puppy blues...

Hello, so I am in desperate need of motivation, feeling drained since I got my WL GSD, he is currently 11 weeks. This wasn't rush decision, I was preparing for few years, I even asked my breeder if WL is ok for me because I work from home and I need some hours in a day for myself to concentrate and do my job. He said "oh that's fine, they sleep a lot as a puppies, so you will be fine", and guess what... looks like he doesn't need sleep at all, its like he is on constant action, I completely lost my whole life as I have to nurse him 24/7. He is all about playing as you can expect, it's like he never gets tired, at least he sleeps at night, but still looks like he doesnt want to do that. Nowadays I wake up and I want this day to end as soon as possible so I can go to bed, I feel like a complete slave, tired of cleaning, nursing, all that following and not being able to do anything for myself. I was honestly thinking if this was right decision, maybe he would be more happy with the right owners, he is still puppy so it's not too late, but everywhere I read it says that it will be much better later and you won't regret it. What I am looking for is probably an answer to that question, is it really ? Or I will be left without a life myself ? I do have a crate, I leave him there for 1-2 hours daily as I go to the gym, but thats about it. Can anything be done in this situation? I am not sure I have patience for this nightmare to end, I really didn't expect this to be that hard

Last edited by dogma13; 11-28-2018 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Pseudo swearing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:09 AM
Crowned Member

If you view this as a nightmare then I don't think you were ready for a puppy. Perhaps you should return him and look for an adult to adopt.
tc68, misfits, Bramble and 8 others like this.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #3 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:15 AM
Knighted Member

I think as a puppy gets older, it does get easier. I've never had to devote my entire day to my dogs--unless I wanted to, though we did plenty of training, including classes, walks, and exercise. What exactly is your puppy doing? What does your day look like? Is he crated all day while you work? What mental and physical exercise is he getting? If you're not bonding and view your time with the pup as a nightmare, perhaps you'd both be happier if you re-homed him. Will the breeder take him back? Maybe you and the pup were mismatched. If you think you might rehome him, the younger he is, the better probably. I am sorry you're not enjoying the experience.

Last edited by sebrench; 11-28-2018 at 11:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 11:31 AM

I'll admit I found my first puppy as an adult to be difficult. If you think you can push through it, I would recommend finding a local trainer (NOT PetSmart/Petco) and enroll in a puppy class. That way you have someone to discuss these issues and can get hands on help addressing them.

All puppies are full of energy and will keep going if you let them, doesn't mean you should. I gave Katsu and Steel structured down time where they would HAVE to nap. Steel being 18 weeks still gets his structured down time on the weekends.

In the long run, yes it gets better, but your life will never go back to the same "pre-dog" state. You will have to dedicate time to this being - play, train, bond. If you were looking for a dog that would just hang out with you on a couch, I would recommend an older dog/different breed.
tc68, GypsyGhost, Gwyllgi and 1 others like this.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung BCAT TC CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #5 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicewl View Post
Hello, so I am in desperate need of motivation, feeling drained since I got my WL GSD, he is currently 11 weeks. This wasn't rush decision, I was preparing for few years, I even asked my breeder if WL is ok for me because I work from home and I need some hours in a day for myself to concentrate and do my job. He said "oh that's fine, they sleep a lot as a puppies, so you will be fine", and guess what... looks like he doesn't need sleep at all, its like he is on constant action, I completely lost my whole life as I have to nurse him 24/7. He is all about playing as you can expect, it's like he never gets tired, at least he sleeps at night, but still looks like he doesnt want to do that. Nowadays I wake up and I want this day to end as soon as possible so I can go to bed, I feel like a complete slave, tired of cleaning, nursing, all that following and not being able to do anything for myself. I was honestly thinking if this was right decision, maybe he would be more happy with the right owners, he is still puppy so it's not too late, but everywhere I read it says that it will be much better later and you won't regret it. What I am looking for is probably an answer to that question, is it really ? Or I will be left without a life myself ? I do have a crate, I leave him there for 1-2 hours daily as I go to the gym, but thats about it. Can anything be done in this situation? I am not sure I have patience for this nightmare to end, I really didn't expect this to be that hard

**THIS TOO SHALL PASS, YOU ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE**

I got my 8 week old WGSL almost 3 months ago, ive had shepherds before and knew what to expect, or atleast I thought I did. His drive, energy, biting, never being able to pet him, took a huge toll on my wife and I. I started questioning if this was the right move for us and I know my wife, who didnt have much experience with big dogs, was doing the same.

We are now 2 and a half months in and this morning was the FIRST time Blitz hopped up on the couch with me, layed next to me and let me pet him without taking a chunk out of my arm. PROGRESS. Everyday gets a little better but I am doing a ton of training with him. He still goes after my wife more than me but even thats getting better.

You are only 3 weeks in and your pup has only been on this planet for 11 weeks, even though they grow like monsters they are still infants. The most important thing I do with him now is a long walk or run to start the morning, it sets the tone for the rest of the day. Also, bully sticks and freezing peanut butter inside of a kong has brought back some of my sanity, he seems to be occupied with them for hours giving me some time for myself.
tc68 likes this.
post #6 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 12:10 PM

I have another question for you to consider: What is your intent for this WL dog when he gets older? What "job" will he have? Do you have plans to get him into agility or IPO? Did you get him with the intent of being a companion animal only?

There's nothing at all wrong with the latter. But, your puppy will be getting bigger soon and have different needs for mental stimulation and exercise, and this is a pretty important time for you to be building a foundation for tomorrow. Don't waste it!!!

Yes, puppies take a lot of work. Both my husband and I work full time. Luckily, my husband works only 10 minutes from home and could/can usually come home in the afternoon to let the dog out for bathroom breaks and/or a walk. That helps a lot. But, in the mornings and evenings, we both had a schedule we developed for feeding, exercising, training and potty breaks. We often felt like "slaves" to our dog.

Totally worth it.

We put in a lot of work up front, and what we have at this time, almost a year later, is a healthy, happy, well-balanced WL dog that is a joy to be around. He's still work, don't get me wrong- many nights, after I get home late from work and classes, all I want to do is catch up with some stuff on the internet, and as soon as I open the laptop and start tapping on keys, that dog comes over and wants attention. I get annoyed. But then I think "this guy's been alone most of the day and I guess it's nice that he wants me to interact with him!" Sometimes I play tug with him while typing (NOT efficient), sometimes if I play with him for 15 minutes he's satisfied. Then on weekends I make sure to take him for longer, more interesting walks and have more play time. This helps him relax and sleep.

I know you need time to focus on work. You'll be more likely to get it if you play with your pup for a short period, and let him sleep. Train him for a short period, and let him sleep. Training and play can happen at the same time. Also, you can train the pup to entertain himself with some good toys. The more stimulation he gets, the easier it will be for him to relax for longer periods and let you get work done.

Do keep in mind what you want out of this dog as an adult, and if you put in the time, you'll have a really great dog later.
post #7 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 12:33 PM
Crowned Member

U s e t h e c r a t e !!

Put the puppy up while you work. Get him out when you take a break. Put him up when you go back to work. Get him out at lunch time. Put him up when you go back to work. etc. He will live through it. So will you.

Look forward to some sort of sport training with this bundle. Keep that in mind as your exasperation threatens to take over.
tc68, Aly, ausdland and 3 others like this.
post #8 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 12:35 PM

So from reading these responses and pretty much compassion and experience from other WL owners I am almost getting the understanding that if you want a service dog or a dog that can visit hospital patients it better be a SL GSD.
post #9 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 12:59 PM
Master Member

Hi! Sorry to hear about the lifestyle shock! Few thoughts...

- You don't have to always give in. If he wants to Play, and you need to Work, you can firmly settle him in his crate or somewhere. He should not be given the power to run your life! He should have a daily regular schedule that fits both of you...

- I also work from home and I opted for an adult dog. I was careful to check his energy...when mine came for his home visit, he sniffed around quietly and then he took a nap. He has indeed been a dog that sleeps while you work, but is always up for activity. Prior to him, we met two other GSDs - a girl who was pacing, seemed very wired and alert (I could not imagine her ever dozing in the corner of my office!) and a tall boy who looked like a movie police dog but weighed almost 100 lbs (too much dog for me!). Although my rescue dog has some issues, overall his energy level and personality have fit our life.

- At this age, your pup is probably not deeply bonded yet, and he will be snapped up by other GSD-loving people, so not hard to rehome. However make sure you don't regret your decision...

- Is it worth it? For us, yes! When I picked our dog up from boarding after Thanksgiving, I was surprised by the huge surge of love I felt. And he was groaning/howling with joy, dancing around my legs. I often wonder why the heck my dog loves me so much (Sorry for being cheesy.) I have enjoyed being out on the trails with him this fall - my exercise buddy who always has a great attitude! It feels cozy when we are all home and he is snoozing in front of the TV. He helps me to feel safe when my husband is out of town. And he is just...funny. He has his own personality, his own doggy thoughts, his favorite bushes to sniff, his favorite stuffy that he keeps in his dogbed...a unique furry being who is now a family member.
Aly, Malibu, superczar and 2 others like this.

Rumo ~ rescue shepherd/husky mix
post #10 of 78 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 01:36 PM
Elite Member

I personally have more questions than answers.

You said you researched, what made you go with a WL GSD? What are your plans?

Do you have plans to get him into a breed savvy training program?

It sounds like someone may have given you a high drive WL without adequately preparing you. A good breeder WILL make sure you are prepared AND understand.

When you say he doesn't need sleep- like a toddler he may need it but not want it. You need to give him down time. Needing sleep and not getting it, like kids, can make them even more over the top. Get a routine where he is crated and comes out every few hours to eat, relive himself, and play for a little bit. Not where he is free all day and only crated 2 hrs. They can get overstimulated.

Will it get better? Depends on what you are willing to put into it, and if you have the aptitude and patience to do it in a way that shapes him properly for what he is. It is not for everybody.

Your post reads like a first time parent who just realized colic is a THING and not a myth. If you are truly distraught over it, I would look to give him back to the breeder while he is still young. However I would not judge your state of mind and ability to deal with this merely by reading a vent post. I distinctly remember being on a parent forum when my INFANT was 12 weeks old, had 3 weeks straight of day night confusion, and the jist of my post was I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep her lol

Sorry, it throws a lot of us off guard. A lot of things in life do. Educate yourself, put the time in to find PROPER resources for that (the education), be consistent, and yes it will get better. Could take like 18 months..in general (not a rule of course but in general and particularly with a known good breeding) people find they mature around age 2. This is all stuff that would have been available during a typical research period before getting a WL GSD.

Good luck, and there is a lot of good advice to be found on this forum
tc68, Aly, Sabis mom and 1 others like this.

Valor 6/3/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page