Chewing - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tc68

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Chewing

Hello All,
This is in regard to a male GSD about to turn a year old. Right now his behavior is a challenge but I believe on par with what a puppy would do. As of recent we have been slowly allowing the male to sleep outside of his crate in bed with us and our 11 year old female GSD. We have had instances in the middle of the night, mainly when I am at work and the wife is home with the 2 dogs alone where he will begin chewing on items around the bedroom. This week he drug an air mattress out from under the bed ripping it, and now chewed the cord off of a humidifier. There are literally at any given time at least 2 kongs, 5 balls, 3 beef femur bones, and other things he knows are OK to chew on. He also has began to chew his kennel mat in his kennel, so that has been removed. During the day he has the run of an acre fenced in back yard. I think the food we are feeding him and her is a quality food, they get treats, I'm kind of at a loss. Both dogs as of recent have taken a liking to some top soil I put down in the back yard to try to grow grass, so I can understand them eating some of that. His behavior with me is OK, I find it hard to keep him occupied even with another dog in the house, but some of the antics he does when my wife is with him, don't occur when I am around. I'm just a little concerned about this midnight chewing on things he seemingly knows are not his to chew.

Any ideas I would appreciate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 05:07 AM

I have a 22 month male and I have tested him many times if he’s ready to be outside the crate when I’m sleeping. He failed as he started to chew on my pillow’s after only five minutes destroyed the cats toys and many more. When I’m awake he doesn’t do that . My dog is on the high energy level i know everybody thinks that but mine actually is I do everything he needs and more but because he has such high energy it’s really difficult to trust him alone. My trainers actually told me that he’s one in 1 million because of his high energy. I have a summer house and I don’t crate him there but he swimming six hours a day and he is calm and doesn’t destroy anything unfortunately I cannot do that all year long so i crate him. If your dog is like mine keep texting him if he is ready .
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 11-24-2018, 10:32 AM
Master Member

IMHO if they're up in the middle of the night chewing on things, then they need more exercise during the day. Sleeping too much during the day and/or not getting enough exercise will result with a dog bored in the middle of the night. And a bored dog can be destructive as we all know. Letting your dog out into your "acre fenced in backyard" isn't exercise. If he can't get the exercise/playtime during the day, then I would start "puppy proofing" your bedroom or leaving him in the crate at night.
Starky likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page