Help! We are at a loss. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Help! We are at a loss.

We have a 1 year old German Shepherd pup. He turned 1 on November 16th. At home, he is obedient, loving, calm (mostly, I mean he's still a puppy) and all around just a great dog. He's extremely intelligent and has picked up on a lot of things that we never even had to train him to do. I've had dogs all my life with my parents and I've always trained our dogs (all golden retrievers) and never had an issue with this... Our dog (Indiana) is EXTREMELY people aggressive. but only with strangers, and mostly on walks. Its absolutely a fear thing, because people who are willing to stop and work with us end up getting licked to death in about 5 seconds after Indiana has decided they are safe. Another thing is he walks on a leash fine in the home, but as soon as we get him into a different environment, he pulls and cries and barks and carries on. We've spent hundreds (maybe thousands) of dollars on trainers and obedience classes and vet visits and we are out of money and patience. I would never get rid of him but I hate not being able to walk him by myself (he's too big for me when he pulls) and I want people to be able to pet him and say hello on walks... or at least walk without putting the fear of god into other people on the trail!! Please help! I will answer everything as best I can. He was just fixed the other day and we had a bad day at the vet which is why I'm here. The vet literally looked at me and said "how do you expect me to work with this?" and walked out of the room. He really is a sweet loving boy. Its so hard to watch him be so aggressive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page