biting.. biting.. BITING!!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

biting.. biting.. BITING!!!

Hey all, I got my pup Blitz at 8 weeks old and he is 14 weeks old now and very driven and extremely smart. Crate training, obedience, potty training have all gone amazing. The main, if not only, issue is his biting. In the 6 weeks Ive had him I have yet to just be able to pet him, and thats not an exaggeration. He is either sleeping, training/playing or attacking my wife and I's arms and hands. Luckily he doesnt go after our feet, wires or furniture but the constant attacks are starting to wear me down. I HAVE TOYS FOR HIM EVERY 5 FEET TO REDIRECT, sometimes he goes for it but mostly will just go for my arms. He is in schutzhund training so Im trying not to discourage the biting that much but the fact that ive yet to actually pet my dog is getting to me.

All that being said, this was more like a vent, I know hes just a puppy and hoping the phase passes sooner than later BUT if you have any constructive ideas for me (please no comments to get him more toys or exercise) id love to hear em.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 01:26 PM

GSD pups are land sharks. It will pass but honestly you just have to deal with it while they puppies. He is still very young. Some are worse than others.
tc68 and BlitzTheGSD like this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 02:56 PM
Knighted Member

I have always welcomed the biting. But I am kind of weird that way. One day you'll look back and miss these days. Enjoy the bites. Toys will help. I played a lot of tug.
Nice looking pup BTW
BlitzTheGSD likes this.

Athena IGP 1, Rosko BH
I MAY NOT BE THERE YET. BUT, I AM CLOSER THAN I WAS YESTERDAY.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 04:06 PM

BULLY STICKS and the fat ones. American made . You can pet him while his mouth is occupied . lol It's really not that hard to redirect and say OUCH . Think of what his mommy would do if he did that to her. Really it's not that hard to correct and yes don't expect much till 3- 6 months depending on your dog and you..
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 04:30 PM

Cute dog! Get some leather gloves and correct him every time he bites. It will pass.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibu View Post
BULLY STICKS and the fat ones. American made . You can pet him while his mouth is occupied . lol It's really not that hard to redirect and say OUCH . Think of what his mommy would do if he did that to her. Really it's not that hard to correct and yes don't expect much till 3- 6 months depending on your dog and you..

Lol... say ouch.. good one...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 06:48 PM

Pepper was the exact same way. I had to wear hand and arm protection every time I played with her. It tapered off noticeably after 4 months and stopped completely now at 6 months. We enrolled her in doggie daycare, which I think helped significantly with bite inhibition.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 07:57 PM
Crowned Member

I've kind of chuckled a bit when seeing these type of threads. After raising 4 gsds, 2 mixed line, 1 wgsl, and 1 Czech WL I felt pretty skilled with the whole puppy biting thing and then Remi happened. He's almost 8 months and still going strong, feet, toes, arms, elbows knees, no body part is off limits.

I've had two gsds I'd call heavy, persistent biters and all of mine would get the zoomies, however Remi has perfected the art of combining the two activities into one. I think it's hilarious, my wife not so much. Corrections only serve to ramp him up, but he redirects nicely. Once you notice "it's" coming we tell him to find his tug and he'll go retrieve it and play nicely, though his targeting could use some work.

We know it'll end and it's not a problem. On days where wife and I both work and time is limited chances are good he will be in a mood, lol!
tc68 likes this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2018, 11:26 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
I've kind of chuckled a bit when seeing these type of threads. After raising 4 gsds, 2 mixed line, 1 wgsl, and 1 Czech WL I felt pretty skilled with the whole puppy biting thing and then Remi happened. He's almost 8 months and still going strong, feet, toes, arms, elbows knees, no body part is off limits.

I've had two gsds I'd call heavy, persistent biters and all of mine would get the zoomies, however Remi has perfected the art of combining the two activities into one. I think it's hilarious, my wife not so much. Corrections only serve to ramp him up, but he redirects nicely. Once you notice "it's" coming we tell him to find his tug and he'll go retrieve it and play nicely, though his targeting could use some work.

We know it'll end and it's not a problem. On days where wife and I both work and time is limited chances are good he will be in a mood, lol!
Ha ha. Mine does that too. He's 9 months. We call it a "bite-by" (like drive by). He gets the zoomies and he runs by me and tries to bite me as he goes by. Sometimes he adds in a jump. So he zooms, jumps up on me, bites, then back to zoomies. His biting though has started getting less lately. He tends to bite me now when he wants something, like he wants to poop, or he wants his meals.

To the OP...we all go through this. At times we think it'll never go away and that we may have gotten the one devil dog that won't stop biting. There's no instant "cure/fix" for it. Just go through your rituals of redirection and the other things. It's all you can do. Some will get over it faster/earlier. Some will take longer, but we all go through it. Good luck.
Nigel likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 06:49 AM

Our puppy is the same age as yours and even looks almost exactly the same. My arm is full of battle wounds but with this being our second shepherd I was aware of what to expect. If I recall correctly the biting pretty much stopped around five to six months. I am very grateful for our eight and a half year old shepherd as they will play together much of the day leaving me time to seek medical help for my wounds .. just kidding of course. Our puppy has just recently started to spend a few short periods of time laying next to me and enjoying being petted. Personally .. I think she is just resting before starting her next attack on my arm. I really wouldn't mind too much if it weren't for those sharp puppy teeth!
BlitzTheGSD likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page