after first heat cycle - now she thinks she has puppies - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

after first heat cycle - now she thinks she has puppies

10 1/2 month old female - she had her first heat cycle in August. Now she thinks she has puppies! She has made a nest in her dog crate, she's whiny, she took all her stuffed animals one by one and put them in her crate and cleans them - she thinks they are her puppies. She very protective of her crate now. The cats walk by and if they look at her in there, she snarls at them How long will this go on for? She's getting spayed before her next cycle for sure! I want to wait as long as I can for her growth but her heat cycle was difficult, then she got a bad vaginal infection and now this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:18 AM
Crowned Member

They are all different. My dog has been through 2 heats, and I really haven't seen a lot of personality change in her...before, during, or after her heats.

Your dog sounds like she's different in that regard, but I personally wouldn't advise that spaying her will resolve any issues other than her nesting!

My advice would be to indulge her now, especially if spaying is in her near future!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:23 AM
Crowned Member

Every female is different. Yours had a pretty significant response to her hormonal changes. The hormones strike the uterine horns the same whether pregnancy takes place or not. For the first 63 day after the heat cycle it is not good to spay, because she is more swelled in there and more bleeders. Best to wait 3 months after the heat cycle to spay and then everything should get back to normal.

I have heard tales that when you spay during a reaction like this, you can trap a dog in immaturity, but I don't know if that is an old wives' tale.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:31 AM
Crowned Member

She could be a surrogate mother to orphaned pups as she probably has milk. If that is an option, I wouldn't give her more than three or four pups since she is so young. Maybe consult a reproductive vet. I am not for spaying but in her case I would strongly consider it once her hormones are back in check.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
They are all different. My dog has been through 2 heats, and I really haven't seen a lot of personality change in her...before, during, or after her heats.

Your dog sounds like she's different in that regard, but I personally wouldn't advise that spaying her will resolve any issues other than her nesting!

My advice would be to indulge her now, especially if spaying is in her near future!

Spaying won't resolve any issues?? That doesn't make sense. She won't come into heat, no thinking she has puppies. So much more. I can't wait to spay her. I usually get it done by the time they are 1 year old and never in 30 years have had any issues. But this is the first female that has had weird female issues
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
She could be a surrogate mother to orphaned pups as she probably has milk. If that is an option, I wouldn't give her more than three or four pups since she is so young. Maybe consult a reproductive vet. I am not for spaying but in her case I would strongly consider it once her hormones are back in check.

Oh no way! No surrogate. I'm all for spaying. I just want to know how long this stage will last. That's all. She's getting spayed in 2 more months - when she hits her first birthday. I get all my females spayed usually after 2nd heat but this one will be sooner. Love spayed females.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
Every female is different. Yours had a pretty significant response to her hormonal changes. The hormones strike the uterine horns the same whether pregnancy takes place or not. For the first 63 day after the heat cycle it is not good to spay, because she is more swelled in there and more bleeders. Best to wait 3 months after the heat cycle to spay and then everything should get back to normal.

I have heard tales that when you spay during a reaction like this, you can trap a dog in immaturity, but I don't know if that is an old wives' tale.

Old wives tale. But I"m not going to spay her til she's a year old. So I've got 3 more months to go.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:38 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsage01 View Post
Oh no way! No surrogate. I'm all for spaying. I just want to know how long this stage will last. That's all. She's getting spayed in 2 more months - when she hits her first birthday. I get all my females spayed usually after 2nd heat but this one will be sooner. Love spayed females.
I agree.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 01:53 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
10 1/2 month old female - she had her first heat cycle in August. Now she thinks she has puppies! She has made a nest in her dog crate, she's whiny, she took all her stuffed animals one by one and put them in her crate and cleans them - she thinks they are her puppies. She very protective of her crate now. The cats walk by and if they look at her in there, she snarls at them How long will this go on for? She's getting spayed before her next cycle for sure! I want to wait as long as I can for her growth but her heat cycle was difficult, then she got a bad vaginal infection and now this.

Shadow makes puppies of her stuffies after every heat, I just roll with it. I posed the question to a bunch of GSD breeders and as per their advice as long as there is no aggression and no problems let her do what she does.

It usually goes on for about 4 weeks and then she settles down. It generally starts up about 2 months after her heat.

I would advise against spaying during any period of out of wack hormones, it actually can have nasty side effects that can be difficult to deal with. Have a good long conversation with your vet, but if she holds true to form it seems this behavior fades out in anywhere from 3-6 weeks. Unless she is an anomaly she is not producing milk.
selzer and tim_s_adams like this.

Last edited by Sabis mom; 10-28-2018 at 01:55 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-28-2018, 02:01 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Spaying won't resolve any issues?? That doesn't make sense. She won't come into heat, no thinking she has puppies. So much more. I can't wait to spay her. I usually get it done by the time they are 1 year old and never in 30 years have had any issues. But this is the first female that has had weird female issues
She won't come into heat, but I've seen several bitches that still acted like it....good luck...sounds like you already know how you're going to proceed...
selzer likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page