Slight Aggression after first heat - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Slight Aggression after first heat

So Mei has completed her first heat cycle, probably 4 weeks ago. We're allowing her to play again with other dogs again, especially her best boy friend lab, Angus.

Every now and then when she plays now with other dogs, even Angus, she starts growling and getting a little more aggressive. She never really did this prior to heat. Is this going to be an ongoing thing? When she starts growling, I just say her name and she stops and continues on. But it seems like I'm doing that every few minutes now. Is there something else I should do when she starts growling? Is this "bitchy" attitude going to continue??

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 01:02 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

May just plain be her age and nothing to do with her heat cycle.

I know my dogs get loud and crazy when they play with each other. If I suspect it's getting too intense and no longer play, I break up the game completely. If you can't play nice, you can't play at all. May just have them all come and get a treat. Or someone gets crated for a bit, or behind a baby gate. Not a punishment, just a cooling down period to get the edge off the rough housing.
Mei likes this.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 01:11 PM
Crowned Member

Her heat cycle might have changed her to be more mature and the days of happy-go-lucky with other dogs may be over. Maybe she is content with just her human pack.
A minute down stay after you say "Time Out!". I use this at home and it does work here. Same if one of them humps or tries to hump the other.
Funny, as I am writing this, Griff made an attempt to hump Deja and I told him "Eh, eh!" She lied down and he came over to me, looking at me like, "Yes, what do you mean?" But it was over.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 10-17-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Good point, i never thought of the fact she has matured a lot more now. I'm going to try the time-outs as well. Last night she was playing with a black 11 week old tiny GSD and started growling at her. I got her to stop by calling her name, but I will try the time-outs too. I felt so bad for the little floppy eared puppy lol. I was like, i hope she's not traumatized. It never got super aggressive though.

Thanks!

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 02:22 PM

Is it actual growling or is it more play talking? Katsu play growls my other two and a select few friend's dogs. I did notice she was a bit more pushy after her first heat cycle. More confident, maybe, but not aggressive.
I agree with breaking up anything you think is inappropriate.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung BCAT TC CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
May just plain be her age and nothing to do with her heat cycle.

I know my dogs get loud and crazy when they play with each other. If I suspect it's getting too intense and no longer play, I break up the game completely. If you can't play nice, you can't play at all. May just have them all come and get a treat. Or someone gets crated for a bit, or behind a baby gate. Not a punishment, just a cooling down period to get the edge off the rough housing.
This is what I do too.When they get over excited and suddenly there's tension in the air,an EH! breaks the spell.Then we move on.If one of them is still wound up he\she is separated until cooled down.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsugsd View Post
Is it actual growling or is it more play talking? Katsu play growls my other two and a select few friend's dogs. I did notice she was a bit more pushy after her first heat cycle. More confident, maybe, but not aggressive.
I agree with breaking up anything you think is inappropriate.
It could be just that. Nothing has escalated to the point of fighting, but i still stop it. Maybe she just does have that more confidence now.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-17-2018, 06:01 PM
Crowned Member

I personally do not allow my grown dogs to "play" with young pups. Young pups get easily traumatized by big dogs who don't know how to be polite in "dog". Young pups need a super good reliable teacher dog to teach them. But they are rare. Of all the dogs I have had in my life it was only one that I trusted with young pups.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-18-2018, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Thanks for all the responses. Here's a short video of what I'm describing. It's never escalated to a fight even. Could just be how she plays now? Lol. I'm going to talk to our trainer this Saturday about it too.

https://youtu.be/Xs3AYxGSAp8

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 12:25 AM
Crowned Member

I watched the video. It is a good illustration of what you mean. My take: borderline play vs pushy, controlling behavior on the GSD's part. The Lab is tolerant and seemingly oblivious. It doesn't look like either one of them is having real fun though. At the end there is some appropriate play. She is nicely obedient to you though. I think she will be happier to play with you. As they grow up they lose their desire to hang out with other dogs and prefer their humans. GSDs tend to be control freaks; everything has to go their way or just the right way. At least that's what I see in my dogs, esp. Deja. Griff is a good "old" boy who easily complies with the queen... so far.
Shepdad likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page