Wary Landshark - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Malibu

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Wary Landshark

Hello!

We've had our little GSD lady for over a month now, having got her at six weeks old.It's a little young, I suppose, but the breeder is very experienced and the pups were absolutely well cared for. Shes now 11 weeks old as of this post, and has done very well learning commands and adjusting, she absolutely loves our mini Schnauzer and cats. Besides a few hiccups where she's developed a taste for whatever wild mushroom she can find (luckily she's only managed to find some Old Man of the Woods before we've corrected) we've only so far have two issues- she's an absolute Landshark (yelping/going limp does not work with her), and she's extremely wary of dogs and people outside the home.

To try to correct the biting issue, we've not only been yelping but have started ignoring her and refusing to touch her when she bites at us. This works for a short time, before she just doesn't care that we're not touching her.

As for the wariness, I'm not sure if that's something we won't be able to properly address until later this month when she's had an opportunity to advance in her vaccinations (we absolutely will not take her anywhere there could be unvaccinated dogs around), or if there is something we can do currently? She's an absolute dream around our second dog and my husbands' parents' dog, but if neighbors approach with our without dogs or if a dog that's a mile away even barks, she'll tuck tail and try to bolt, completely ignoring treats or pets. I don't want to force interaction with her for fear of creating a situation where she'll associate people coming up to her as something jarring; she's being trained to be a service dog and public interaction/ignoring public interaction is a must.

This isn't our first of the breed, previously our family had a GSD from the same breeder (different line) who was very wary (but very kind and well behaved) of anything outside the home, however this wasn't an issue as he was a watchdog, taught to sit back and judge everyone while staying on the property between my home and my in-laws.

Are these issues that are normal for her age, and will fade with time if we just keep working at them? Is there anything we can do short of forcing her to hold still while people touch her? She's an absolutely sweet, smart dog, if a little sassy, and unfortunately we're a bit anxious that we may mess up with something and have to wash her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 12:17 AM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

The land shark issue takes time and consistency. Pick a way to deal with it (I like distracting and redirecting) and stuck with it. It goes away, but not immediately.

Do a forum search for a topic(probably a sticky) called "rethinking early socialization". It's an amazing thread that will help you better prepare and know how to properly socialize your pup. Hint, socializing does NOT mean every Tom **** and Harry need to pet your dog. It just means, that they have been exposed in a positive way to many stimuli.

Good luck with your pup! Pics are required. (Not really but we love puppy pics)

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 01:18 PM

THIS SENTENCE MAKES ME WONDER...having got her at six weeks old.It's a little young, I suppose, but the breeder is very experienced and the pups were absolutely well cared for. A EXPERIENCED BREEDER OR A GOOD BREEDER WOULD NOT ALLOW PUPPIES TO BE PICKED UP @ 6 WEEKS.

You have only had her 1 month. Enjoy getting her to know you. Redirect bitting to something she can bite on.
JessicaR likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page