chewing our rug - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By crittersitter
  • 1 Post By tc68

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

chewing our rug

I have a 1 yr old puppy that is generally pretty well behaved. I started a new job recently that leaves our puppy and our 12 yr old boxer alone in the house all day. We have a dog walker come by at 12 to let them out and walk them for 30 min. I get up at 5:30 to let the dogs out and to exercise the puppy for 30 min before work. Recently she has started chewing the edges of our rug in the living room. There are numerous toys, balls laying around for her to gnaw on. She has also destroyed her bed as well as the boxers bed. I'm talking about total annihilation
of the beds. Is there a spray or something I could put on the rug to prevent her from chewing? I know she is bored but after destroying 4 dog beds and our rug I'm starting to get concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-31-2018, 10:32 PM

Have you crate trained? We left our baby in her crate when we were gone until she was a little over 2 years old. She loves her crate and wonders way she is left out now. But GSD's are slow to mature. Crate her.
tc68 likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 12:44 AM
Master Member

Crate.
Sunsilver likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 01:53 AM
Master Member

From your story it looks like your big pup is STILL just a pup! Definitely crate him/her for now. He either needs mental stimulation to keep him occupied throughout the day or crate.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2018, 06:33 PM
Crowned Member

You could try Bitter Apple Spray. Rather than a crate, I would suggest an outdoor kennel with a roof so she can't climb over it. Perhaps the dog walker could come for an additional daily walk to give her more exercise. If she gets along well with other dogs and it there is one in your area, a doggy daycare for a couple of days a week or more if affordable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page