Puppy Won't Stop Playing With Older Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By konathegsd
  • 1 Post By Magwart
  • 1 Post By Kairo's Dad

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 01:20 AM Thread Starter

Puppy Won't Stop Playing With Older Dogs

Hey! I have a german shepherd puppy (purebred) who won't stop playing with my oler dog, my older dog is a 16 pound 7 year old papillion, and Bear is 8 months and 70 + pounds now, I've had him since he was 3 months and he still won't stop playing or barking at the older guy, will this ever end? I seperate them so my other dog won't get hurt.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 02:44 AM
Master Member

You need to set strict boundaries and advocate for your older dogs. I would tether your younger dog to you.
Aly likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 10:08 AM

What she said. When Beau was a pup we lived with a 5.5 lb papillon who he adored, but he was just too big and energetic to play with her safely as a puppy. He learned to tone it down a little as he got older, and she would sometimes engage with him from a couch or chair, or from a low wall outside, but never unsupervised. And he was tethered to me or the chair I was sitting in or crated until he learned to be safe with her.

He used to bring her his ball and drop it in front of her as a gift. She would look at him like, Seriously??. It was bigger than her head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 10:28 AM
Crowned Member

I have friends who have a small yorkie that got rolled by accident by their GSDs while chasing a squirrel -- they might have tripped over him. His leg was broken in multiple places and it had to be surgically reconstructed. He is just now coming off of months of crate rest. The healing process is a full year on that kind of major surgery.

So...be careful. Excited puppies/adolescents can hurt little dogs just by being clumsy.
dogma13 likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 03:47 PM

Kairo is 8.5 months, and Sugar is a 10 year old Bichon/Poodle. Before Kairo got to be 5 months, they got along fine and would play together and even take naps together in Kairo's pen. Then around 5 months old, Kairo just got too big for Sugar, and even though Kairo would play like he always he had, he accidently knocked Sugar backwards while playing, Sugar landed wrong on her tail and sprained it.. A few laser treatments and several hundred dollars later, and we learned the hard way. They are now separated most of the time except for when we let them outside in the fenced area where they have more room to run around and are supervised. Sugar is no longer afraid of him, but at 10 years old, she has a low tolerance for Kai's antics, so when she is done playing, then she is done playing, and she'll let Kairo know in no uncertain terms lol.

When we are inside, I generally only let them interact together when Kairo comes in from exercise or training, and he is already exhausted. He generally ignores Sugar then, but only til he catches his second wind, at which time, they are separated again. But with Sugar being older, she's content to lay in Kairo's pen with the door closed so Kairo can't mess with her, while Kairo lays on the vent in the foyer when we are all together watching tv. Kairo has always been a high energy puppy, so I am hoping he will settle some as he gets a little older.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0320181153.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	510083  
dogma13 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kairo DOB: 12/02/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Follow on Instagram: @just_kairo_gsd
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-20-2018, 08:59 PM
Master Member

Sorry to hear about your situation, it's quite a common problem; puppies playing rough with small dogs. They have to be corrected and separated until they both 'accept' each other and learn how to play good. But honestly that might be hard for big puppies to learn that, unless the dog is mature or just naturally soft, it takes time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page