Digging in her water bowl - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jax08

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Digging in her water bowl

So we’ve had Pepper for just over 5 weeks now, and she was doing perfectly fine with her water bowl. We had one of the large ones with a 3 gallon plastic reservoir. Well, lately we’ve had to take it away from her. Out of nowhere, she started digging in it like a fiend, and three gallons can make a mighty mess. We tried giving it back to her later when she calmed down, but even calm, she started digging like a madwoman. Finally, I removed the reservoir altogether, and left only an inch of water in the bowl. Even so, she’ll dig in whatever little water is in the bowl. We’ve had to resort to holding a small cup of water in our hands every time she needs a drink, then taking it when she stops drinking and starts trying to play. That’s going to get old very fast, and honestly, I want her to have access to unlimited water whenever she wants.

We tried buying her a kiddie pool, thinking maybe it was the water she liked, but she wanted nothing to do with it, kept hopping out every time we tried to get her in, even when it was less than a quarter full.

Any suggestions on what to try next?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 11:11 AM
Crowned Member

First, don't give her 3 gallons at a time. No way will she drink that in one day. Second, give her a bowl and let her drink. When she starts to play in it, simply tell her no and take it away.
Aly likes this.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 11:16 AM

Zelda used to do the same thing as a puppy, she out grew the habit. I just put her water bowl outside for her to drink.

Zelda- "Twilight Princess Von Hemlock"

Gryffin- "Gryffindor Von Hemlock"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 02:29 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah as Jax said, give her a smaller bowl and take it away if/when she starts to play in it. Won't happen overnight, but she'll catch on! It's not an uncommon behavior for whatever reason, but just discourage it and she should stop.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 03:40 PM
Aly
Master Member

In addition to the above, I'd also put the kiddie pool back out but only put an inch or so of water in it. Don't put her in the pool, just let her play and putter in/around it as she likes. I don't think it's a bad thing to teach pups that some behavior (digging in water) is okay in certain circs (outside in the pool, at the beach) but not in others (inside in the water dish).

Aly
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 08:56 PM

My pup Dean is 15 weeks old and has started to do this too. We have a metal bowl and only give him a little at a time, and even if it's almost empty, he digs it all out. And it wouldn't be so bad if our whole house wasn't carpeted lol
He also has a kiddie pool outside that he could care less about, unless I toss treats in it, then it becomes fun lol
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 09:12 PM
Crowned Member

Seger's Game

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-11-2018, 09:13 PM
Mei
Master Member

What everyone else said, but your puppy will grow out of it. Mine did it. I think they all do it LOL!.

It's like little kids blowing bubbles in their milk with a straw for them!

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page