Whining and barking at me -what does she want? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Whining and barking at me -what does she want?

Hello, Maggie is my 2nd GSD and 9 months old. She spent 2 months with an excellent trainer and I am continuing her training with good results. About a month ago she occasionally started whining then barking at me usually in the evening after her dinner and walk. It has now become an every day several times a day occurance and she seems agitated more and more. I work at home and take her out several times a day for play/training. We have 5 fenced acres to to roam. She is good with people and other dogs. This really has me baffled as tonight it scared me enough that I crated her 2 hours before bed time because she wouldn’t stop and seemed to be getting angrier by the minute. I’ve learmed so much from these forums over the years I’d appreciate any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 11:16 PM
Master Member

Have you asked the trainer what might be causing the behavior and how to go about correcting it?

My best guess would be to use the place command to send her to a rug or dog bed where she stays till you release her.

If she wears a prong collar for training I’d keep the prong and leash on her in the house and when she starts her barking routine I’d give her a leash correction with a stern, No and tell her down and if she gets back up correct her and return her to her place.

She’s still so young. Probably flexing her muscles, wanting to be boss : )
That’s Just my 2 cents...

Your trainer will know best.
Angelgirl likes this.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 11:33 PM
Crowned Member

Time that you become the trainer as she is training you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findlay View Post
Have you asked the trainer what might be causing the behavior and
how to go about correcting it?

My best guess would be to use the place command to send her to a rug or dog bed where she stays till you release her.

If she wears a prong collar for training I’d keep the prong and leash on her in the house and when she starts her barking routine I’d give her a leash correction with a stern, No and tell her down and if she gets back up correct her and return her to her place.

She’s still so young. Probably flexing her muscles, wanting to be boss : )
That’s Just my 2 cents...

Your trainer will know best.

I plan to call my trainer tomorrow but yours sounds like good advice as well. Yes have her on prong collar
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Time that you become the trainer as she is training you.
Not really sure what you mean. She seems to understand that I’m the trainer in every other way. I’ve been ignoring the behavior and not taking her out to play or giving her treats. It’s just getting hard to ignore. Can you give me a suggestion?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 12:01 AM
Elite Member

Teach the Enough command (quiet or whatever) then reinforce when she rudely barks at you like Findlay says
Angelgirl likes this.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 12:18 AM
Aly
Master Member

I like the advice you've gotten so far and would just like to suggest a different way to understand what might be happening. She may not be getting enough physical/mental exercise and wants to engage you in more activity. If that's what's going on, the increased barking may be her frustration in getting you to understand what she wants. I agree that it's important that dogs have an "off" switch and equally important that you teach her what it means (crating helps), but I also think it's important for us to understand that whining/barking are communication attempts and that not all of those attempts are bad/aggressive etc. Maybe integrate some nosework games for 15 minutes or so in the evenings to work her mind?

Aly
Angelgirl and Katsugsd like this.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly View Post
I like the advice you've gotten so far and would just like to suggest a different way to understand what ight be happening. She may not be getting enough physical/mental exercise and wants to engage you in more activity. If that's what's going on, the increased barking may be her frustration in getting you to understand what she wants. I agree that it's important that dogs have an "off" switch and equally important that you teach her what it means (crating helps), but I also think it's important for us to understand that whining/barking are communication attempts and that not all of those attempts are bad/aggressive etc. Maybe integrate some nosework games for 15 minutes or so in the evenings to work her mind?

Aly
Thank you, I’m thinking you are right but I’ve been hesitant to take her out to play as I’m afraid that message let’s her know her whining/barking worked. So are you saying try and head off the behavior before it starts? There are times in the afternoon when I’m working and just can’t stop and play because she wants to. I’ll try and give her longer play times and more throughout the day so she doesn’t feel the need to demand attention. Not sure what nosework games are but will do a search.

Last edited by Angelgirl; 07-27-2018 at 01:11 AM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Teach the Enough command (quiet or whatever) then reinforce when she rudely barks at you like Findlay says [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Thank you!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 01:26 AM
Crowned Member

Yeah, you don't correct that behavior you listen to your puppy and understand what she's telling you! She's obviously telling you that she needs more engagement or exercise or something! Please don't just take the attitude that you need to train her out of this...dogs are not machines, they are sentient beings with feelings and thoughts. She's trying to communicate that something isn't right! Find out what that is through careful observation and change it for her!
Angelgirl, misfits and Sabis mom like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim

Last edited by tim_s_adams; 07-27-2018 at 01:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page