Pup will not leave wife alone - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Pup will not leave wife alone

our 4 month old (Groot) has developed some sort of fixation for my wife. We've only had him for about a month and a half and during the last 3 weeks or so, he has developed some sort of bond with my wife that is getting to the point of annoyance.
I work from home so I am with him almost 24/7 where as my wife is away from home working 8-10 hours each day. We are great together during the day but when my wife gets home, he attaches himself to her and will not let her out of his sight to the point of getting under her feet at times. She can't take 2 steps away from him without him having to be where ever she is. Only once in a while during the hours she is home will he be ok with her being out of sight and that doesn't last very long until he goes looking for her.
During the day, several times a day I am able to play with him and spend time working on commands. Is this a temporary thing or do you think he will grow out of it over time. Also, he has a habit of play biting her almost constantly. Not so much with me but sometimes. She is having to correct him almost constantly.
any ideas are welcome.
--Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 04:13 PM
Elite Member

Do you take him on fun walks and outdoor adventures?

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Not sure what that has to do with the attachment to my wife but yes.
We train with trainer once a week as well. We are both a part of his learning.
He currently gets very over stimulated when introduced to new dogs, but that is going to be addressed in training.

Last edited by Scottzilla1; 07-23-2018 at 04:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:04 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottzilla1 View Post
Not sure what that has to do with the attachment to my wife but yes.
We train with trainer once a week as well. We are both a part of his learning.
He currently gets very over stimulated when introduced to new dogs, but that is going to be addressed in training.
It's about building a bond with your dog. If hes not interested in you, only in her, maybe you need to be more interesting

Snitches get stitches.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:08 PM
Crowned Member

It sounds to me like your wife is a "novelty" who comes and goes -- and changes his routine.

You, on the other hand, are available all the time - you do not vanish to then reappear --- so, yes, boring compared to your wife who is a rare thing.

I think this is pretty normal
angelas, dogfaeries, Aly and 1 others like this.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:14 PM

'I work from home so I am with him almost 24/7 where as my wife is away from home working 8-10 hours each day.'

I'm just guessing, but I think your pup considers your wife the new high end stiletto and you are the comfortable docksider. With her leaving everyday, the homecoming is exciting. You, well, you're always there.

I would crate him in another room for a few hours while I worked, tend to his bathroom needs and back to the crate until work is done. Then take him out for a rowdy game of ball and a little training. He'll learn to appreciate your attention more. I won't guarantee that he won't fawn all over your wife when she gets home, but he will likely show more appreciation for you.
dogfaeries and Scottzilla1 like this.

No beast so fierce
Simon 6/2016
EPI, man aggressive, ball crazy, fearless protector, my heart
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:37 PM
Crowned Member

Agree that the pup needs time out every day....otherwise you create a dog who could end up with separation anxiety. I have a young pup right now who SCREAMS anytime she is left in a crate in a room alone, even to sleep....she HAS to be in the same room as me....she is quiet in the crate in my truck, and ends up fine when I am out of the house too...I am able to take her to work with me, but still leave her home in a crate or kennel a few days a week just so she does NOT get too dependent on me....

He should be crated part of the time your wife is home...he needs to understand being with you (collectively) is a privilege...feed in crate, give a bone and leave him alone for several hours each day and evening.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:40 PM
Crowned Member

It is not uncommon for a GSD to have a favorite person - even from a young age. Some here deny it, but in my experience, my female shepherds have idolized my husband. I do everything for the dogs. In spite of that, the girls worship the ground my husband walks on. I actually find it amusing and am not bothered by it. My husband eats it up. lol!
Nigel and Scottzilla1 like this.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate what you're saying but crating is not an option. We've tried several times to no avail. He goes into hysterics if left in the crate for more than a couple of mins without sight of either one of us. The last time we tried it at night and he was inconsolable for just over 3 hrs we let it go and he never gave up the hysterical yelping. The only time he was quiet was when he decided to chew up his crate pad for just over a minute at a time. The first few nights of crate training went pretty well but the last time was just ridiculous. It's almost as if something was terrorizing him the last night we tried. Now the only time he goes to crate is when we both have to leave and can't take him with us and it's never more than 2 hrs at a time. This has stumped his trainer as well.
He's a great pup otherwise and learns really quickly just not on these 2 subjects and only with my wife. Oh! I forgot to mention that whenever my wife and I show any affection to one another (hugs, Kisses, arm around each other) he seems jealous and physically separates us. It was funny at first, but it's getting annoying as well.

During the day he naps a lot until I am off work around 2pm especially after breakfast and during the heat of the day. After work is when he is able to get most of his exercise and training. He has many toy options and a giant KONG that he plays with and he keeps busy. But when she gets home all bets are off.

We absolutely LOVE this dog and will never give him up it's just these little things that somehow got out of hand.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

I am not bothered by it either and think it is funny to a point. It's when my wife get's upset is when I get concerned and wonder what we could be doing collectively that might cause this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page