Struggling with bite inhibition - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Slamdunc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Struggling with bite inhibition

Ok, so like everyone else here, I’m having play-biting problems with my 11 week old pup. I’ve had many dogs growing up, I know puppies bite, but this is almost constant. I know she’s not trying to hurt me, but she’s biting hard enough to draw blood, and it’s becoming an issue.

Redirection is NOT an option. I could have fifty toys and she will duck and weave around them to get to my hands. Even when I place them directly in her mouth, she’ll spit them out to get to my hands.

Bite inhibition doesn’t seem to be working in the slightest. I’ll say “ouch” when she bites too hard, and she will completely ignore me. Worse, sometimes she’ll growl, bark, then start biting even HARDER. If I try to get up and leave the room (use the you-lost-your-playmate approach) she will chase me and bite at my ankles or pants while I’m leaving, and will resume biting me as soon as the time-out is over.

The only thing that had any effect was scruffing her. I don’t do it anywhere near hard enough to hurt, but I hate doing that, because afterwards, she looks completely heartbroken. Not just sad, but almost betrayed. Afterwards, she won’t play with me at all. Honestly, I’d rather be bitten bloody than see her look THAT heartbroken again.

I need some advice on how to proceed here. Is there any solution, or do I just keep enduring it until she grows out of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 03:51 PM
Crowned Member

It can be easy to make your hands more exciting then the toy. Try putting a 4' line on a good sized, soft toy to create some separation from your hands. See if you can get her focus on it like that.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 04:18 PM
Elite Member

Do not scruff her please. Try what Steve said. They all do this. I myself admit to using 'arm chaps' (see Amazon) I had more bandaids on my arms than skin. This, too, will pass. Now I look at my tattered pants cuffs and laugh.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

I’ll give that a shot. And I looked up arm chaps and placed an overnight order for a set, lol. I was planning on giving up on scruffing anyway, I don’t have the heart for it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 05:32 PM

When our big boy was little we wore heavy leather gloves (not orange metal working gloves, though. We weren't sure about the dye). When our boy got big enough to Crunch, which gloves don't protect from, we were transitioning to tugs and bit pillows.

Also, if our boy got nippy and didn't stop I'd either separate him from us for a bit, Or I'd stand up and do a superman pose. Both worked to show him I really didn't want to do bitey play at that moment.

And to be honest, we had plenty for fresh bandaids ready. Even with gloves and tugs sometimes he missed.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 05:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
Do not scruff her please. Try what Steve said. They all do this. I myself admit to using 'arm chaps' (see Amazon) I had more bandaids on my arms than skin. This, too, will pass. Now I look at my tattered pants cuffs and laugh.
The arm chaps worked!!!!! I threw in a pair of heavy duty work gloves, and she’s essentially stopped biting! I think she’s lost interest because it doesn’t hurt. Now I just get little love nibbles. She’s focusing more on her squeaky toys, because they react
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiB89 View Post
The arm chaps worked!!!!! I threw in a pair of heavy duty work gloves, and she’s essentially stopped biting! I think she’s lost interest because it doesn’t hurt. Now I just get little love nibbles. She’s focusing more on her squeaky toys, because they react
It really helps when your not the squeaky toy.
Sunsilver and car2ner like this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page