Get puppy's attention ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cassidy's Mom

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Get puppy's attention ?

Ok, here we are, almost month spent together. Kira is 3 months old, beautiful and extremely smart GSD. She learns lot, but..
I kinda have feeling she's not connected to us. She's happy when she sees us (today we left her alone for few hrs and when we got home she peed lol). But how to actually teach her to pay attention to us? I can throw ball and ask her zillion times to bring it, she won't do it. She goes somewhere to be alone and chew it.
If I call her to come, she will do it only if I'm holding food or something.
I kinda have feeling she likes to be left alone. Although if I sit on floor she will come right next to me.
Oh yeah, she also started refusing food, unless I feed her. I understand she's baby but i'd like to connect with her bit more.
So any advices are more then welcome
Thanks 😄
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 01:23 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

You haven't had her very long, so the relationship between you is still developing. One very easy thing I like to do when I get a new puppy is to reward eye contact whenever s/he offers it spontaneously. Mark ("yes!") and reward when she starts to come towards you on her own. At this point you're not giving any commands, because she doesn't actually know them yet. You don't want her to learn that "come" means ignore you rather than come running. And at her age and with how long you've had her, I would still be heavily rewarding that, I wouldn't even be worrying about whether she comes with or without food. You don't need to be holding it in sight though, it can be in a pocket or a treat bag, or even a bowl on a countertop. People are often in a big hurry to phase out food or toy rewards, but there truly is no rush.

I wear my treat bag at all times, with something yummy but small, or you can simply use some of her kibble. Just measure out what she would normally get for a meal and then whatever you don't use for training/reinforcing behaviors you would put in her bowl later.

Fetch is a skill - some dogs are natural retrievers, some are not. Those that are not need to be taught, just like you'd teach them to sit or down on command, or to walk nicely on leash. It's possible she doesn't understand that she's supposed to bring it back to you after you've thrown it. A ball on a rope is handy, because you can keep a hold of it. Start by backchaining, which is simply training the end of the behavior first, and then working backwards towards the beginning. She will chase the ball already, so that's the least important part to work on. Let her grab the ball, then have her give it up again. Over and over. You can tug with it using the rope first if you want to, or not. When she will take and give the ball readily (don't rush the steps), let her have the ball and then quickly take a couple of steps backwards, encouraging her to come towards you - make noises, clap your hands, whatever you need to do. When she does, mark it, tug briefly (or not) have her give it up for a treat, give it back and take a couple steps backwards again. Once she will follow you with the ball for a few steps, work up to running backwards a slightly longer distance. Only after she will run to you with the ball would you start throwing it again, and only for a very short distance. You could just roll it a few feet rather than actually throw it. Again, run backwards a few steps, encouraging her to bring it. The stronger you can make the end of "fetch" - bring the ball and hand it to you, the better.
dogma13 likes this.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Ty ty ty, I'll try those. I just got scared that I might miss some crucial things in her behavior that will be hard to correct later. I tried searching for puppy engagement but no success
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 01:30 PM

This is something I like to do with new puppies - it's referred to as a game of impulse control and it is definitely that. But if you add in eye contact as a criteria, as I do, it also teaches focus as a default behavior as well as that the way to get something they value, they have to ignore it and look at you instead. It's a default because again, you're not giving the dog any particular command, you're letting her learn to make good choices. Even 5 minutes a day can make a big difference.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladjana Cvijetinovic View Post
I just got scared that I might miss some crucial things in her behavior that will be hard to correct later. I tried searching for puppy engagement but no success
Think of this phase as more about shaping the behavior you want. The more you do that now, the less you'll need to correct later. Reinforce the good and encourage more of it, while managing her environment as much as possible to prevent behavior you don't want. And the more you can combine play and training, so both of you are having fun, the better.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
This is something I like to do with new puppies - it's referred to as a game of impulse control and it is definitely that. But if you add in eye contact as a criteria, as I do, it also teaches focus as a default behavior as well as that the way to get something they value, they have to ignore it and look at you instead. It's a default because again, you're not giving the dog any particular command, you're letting her learn to make good choices. Even 5 minutes a day can make a big difference.

That's awesome video. Will try tomorrow. Will be great mental exercise 😘😘 useful to teach puppy not to eat things outside
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 01:58 PM
Crowned Member

At that age everything you do with her should be fun! Don't call her to come unless it's to go on an adventure, or if you have something to give her! Puppies don't come pre-wired to know why you say something, or even what the heck you're saying. You have to teach them! So teach her that it's in her best interest to come when you call to her, because every time you do make that funny noise there's something really good in it for her! And you do that by (a) only calling her when you do have something for her, and (b) not doing it when she's not likely going to want to listen. And whatever you do, don't repeat yourself and don't try using a different command because she doesn't listen to the first one!

On fetching, that she goes and gets the ball is great! That she doesn't yet understand your rules or expectations is absolutely normal! Again, you have to show her. But don't be in too big a hurry, let her just have fun! For my puppy I utilized her attraction to come to me when I got down on the floor to get her to bring the ball back But again, it's a game so make it all about having fun! When she does come to you with the ball, have a party give her treats and be very animated! If she doesn't bring the ball, don't get upset, just show her a little less pleasure and try again. Remember that a 3 month old puppy will get distracted and or lose interest quickly, so keep any teaching you try to do light, fun, and brief!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Ty very much! You said more in one post then I read online for month lol. It's highly appreciated 😘 so its all about fun 😊
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 02:32 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sladjana Cvijetinovic View Post
Ty very much! You said more in one post then I read online for month lol. It's highly appreciated 😘 so its all about fun 😊
YES! Training of any kind and at any age should be fun for the dog or puppy. Your job at this stage in your puppy's life is as much about you learning to read her as it is about her learning to read you. And that video posted by @Cassidy's Mom is really showing a lot more than just teaching impulse control. Notice the calm demeanor of the trainer! There's no "insistence" that the puppy complies with anything, it's all about eliciting the behavior you want and rewarding it! No frustration, no corrections, just a fun game!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page