Pup ate his own poo - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Pup ate his own poo

I’m gonna freak out. Never had this happen but my girlfriend who’s with my dog tonight (I’m working) said my pup pooped inside the house and then was trying to eat his own poop. Idk if she’s overreacting or what but I’m gonna freak out. Never had this happen or how to fix it..REMOVED BY MODERATOR
He’s 9 weeks and been living with us for a week.

Last edited by dogma13; 07-13-2018 at 12:41 PM. Reason: Swearing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 03:13 AM
Crowned Member

How to fix it --- have an alternative handy while you claim the pile for yourself and clean it up. If I'm not on top of it, mine will do this at 5 and 9 yo.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 03:22 AM
Crowned Member

My dog also did this, selectively, throughout her life. The remedy is to distract, then clean up quickly LOL! I've heard lots of different theories over the years as to why, but for me the bottom line, based solely on experience, is to distract, then clean up quickly...
wolfy dog, Sabis mom and Coleen like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
How to fix it --- have an alternative handy while you claim the pile for yourself and clean it up. If I'm not on top of it, mine will do this at 5 and 9 yo.
It wasn’t right away. It was sitting in the livingroom and as my gf went to get paper towels to clean.. that’s when it happened. Within a few min
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanm3195 View Post
I’m gonna freak out. Never had this happen but my girlfriend who’s with my dog tonight (I’m working) said my pup pooped inside the house and then was trying to eat his own poop. Idk if she’s overreacting or what but I’m gonna freak out. Never had this happen or how to fix it.. wtf
He’s 9 weeks and been living with us for a week.
Icky. But just out of curiousity, why are you going to freak out? Poophobia?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:27 AM
Aly
Master Member

No reason to freak out, though it probably wouldn't hurt to keep smelling salts on hand. LOL. Nine weeks old is a baby, IMO, and babies do all sorts of silly (and sometimes outright disgusting) things. Most will outgrow it, with time, training and management; others may opportunistically keep the bad habit throughout their lives. Assuming that you're feeding appropriate, good food, it's a matter of management and training. As other posters noted, immediate cleanup is key.

Another thing to consider is how much unrestricted freedom the puppy has in the house. At two months, I'd say, it shouldn't be much if any. So, think about crating the puppy when you or your girlfriend aren't home or when you are at home, but busy. Or, tether the puppy to you so that it can't wander around unsupervised and get into trouble and/or pick up bad habits.

Welcome to the world of puppies.

Aly
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:33 AM
Knighted Member

I have 2 poop eaters and my previous dog was as well. I have to go out with them in the yard when they go potty or else they will turn around and eat it. I would blame it on these 2 being rescue dogs (kennel environment) but my first GSD I got as a puppy from the breeder and she was just as bad!
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:38 AM
Crowned Member

Our King Charles ate poop hers and all kinds. The only thing I could do was make sure the yard was picked up. I could never accept kisses from her lol!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

So there’s no way to “stop” it besides not giving him a chance to eat it... I mean he’s a pup. For all I know he can go in his crate every hour and eat it and I wouldn’t know.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 11:12 AM

Our older dog has done this his entire life. I think he's nearing 9 now. The only way to control it was to pick it up as soon as possible. He also knows the "leave it" command and would do so while you were watching him. But he's sneaky and would soon find a way to get back to what he wanted and eat it.

We have been feeding raw, prey diet, for several months now and this behavior seems to have stopped completely. Coincidence? I have no idea, but we are sticking with raw, and for more than just this reason. Anyone else have this experience?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page