Puppy biting grab his muzzle? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 04:40 AM Thread Starter

Puppy biting grab his muzzle?

In order to stop muzzle biting is it okay to grab the muzzle gently and hold his mouth closed for 5-10 seconds? I was told this is a good way to teach the puppy to not bite. The theory is that redirecting with a bone or toy is rewarding for biting. We tried redirecting and muzzle hold and the hold works better but I want to make sure I’m not engraining anything bad into my puppy by doing this technique
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 09:52 AM

Instead of thinking of redirecting as a reward, think of it as teaching and learning what is appropriate to do. It may take a while but it should get easier the more consistent you are with it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 11:50 AM

I was lucky with Katsu - I got her at 4 months because the breeder held her back for a SAR home (only to change her mind on it later). She came crate trained, and didn’t not landshark me.

She did, however, chew on things I’d prefer she didn’t. I did ge redirection method. “No” or “Uh-uh” for the thing I didn’t want her chewing on, offer something okay to chew on, and a “yes!” When she took it. It seemed to work pretty well with my Shiba Inu when he was younger.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung BCAT TC CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 01:29 PM

There's nothing wrong with making a puppy uncomfortable when it wants to chew on a human.I don't think it's a good idea to grab them though.You don't want them to avoid your hands and begin ducking away from a touch.
What I have done successfully is to make a fist and push (gently!!)into puppy's mouth until he backs away and lets go voluntarily.I don't say a word to him,just let him learn by natural consequence that biting causes discomfort.As soon as he lets go animate a toy for him to chew and praise!And yeah,puppy slobber on your hands is the downside,lol
Synne likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 02:04 PM

I tried grabbing the muzzle when Kai was younger, but it would only piss him off and make him try and bite me more, therefore I've always attempted to redirect instead. Just my experience.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 02:16 PM
Elite Member

Teach the No Bite command.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 02:07 PM

you'll have to find what works for you but ill say that with one of mine we did grab the muzzle and hold his mouth closed, at first he would try to bite right after we let go to let us know he didnt like that then i just grabbed it again for attempting to bite me. then after a few times he learned not to and we no longer have that problem.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:08 PM

I prefer a scruff grab. When you grab the pup's muzzle it often elicits more biting, kinda of like what they would do with a litter mate. The scruff (or side of the neck; usually easier to reach) grab says in no uncertain terms that this is a behavior you don't agree with. This is exactly what mom would do, and puppies are conditioned to understand it as a disciplinary action. Some pups will immediately submit; some might immediately repeat the action as if to say, "Is this what you don't want me to do?" You then have to respond with another, stronger grab, maybe a little shake to say, "Yep. Don't do it again."

Expect the puppy to forget this lesson, especially during excitement, so be prepared to address it each and every time.
asibley likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan900 View Post
In order to stop muzzle biting is it okay to grab the muzzle gently and hold his mouth closed for 5-10 seconds? I was told this is a good way to teach the puppy to not bite. The theory is that redirecting with a bone or toy is rewarding for biting. We tried redirecting and muzzle hold and the hold works better but I want to make sure I’m not engraining anything bad into my puppy by doing this technique
No! Grabbing the muzzle is something that I would never do to a puppy. Not sure who gave you that advice, but it is really and advice. With most dogs it will make the behavior worse. It will undermine your relationship and cause trust issues.

Also, we are not dogs. I am not a mother to my dogs, so I do not act like a dog that has a litter of puppies nor treat them in the same way. I would not grab a dog by the scruff of the neck and shake either. For the dogs I have owned and raised from puppies, high drive working line GSD's they would react more aggressively from that type of treatment.

Simply stay calm, don't make any quick motions and give the puppy something appropriate to bite or chew on. Puppies do this when they are teething, give the dog something acceptable to bite then reward and praise when it is biting the toy, rag or tug that you gave it. Behaviors that are reinforced are likely to reoccur.

My hands are for praising and petting only with my dogs. I never hit, shake or grab my dogs for punishment. I find staying calm, having patience and rewarding the correct behavior works wonders.
Suka, Jax08, Sabis mom and 1 others like this.

“Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance”. George Bernard Shaw

Jim
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunc View Post

Also, we are not dogs. I am not a mother to my dogs, so I do not act like a dog that has a litter of puppies nor treat them in the same way. I would not grab a dog by the scruff of the neck and shake either. For the dogs I have owned and raised from puppies, high drive working line GSD's they would react more aggressively from that type of treatment. s.

I'm not a mother to my dog. I am the boss.:-) And underlings do not put their mouths on the boss or the other humans in the boss's house.

Personally, I want my dogs to be bite inhibited; they are imposing enough especially when people see how well-trained they are. If people ask if my dogs bite I say, "Only when they're supposed to." ;-)

Your mileage may vary~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page