Aggressive Water Bowl Issue - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By dogma13
  • 1 Post By hoytn

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
wil

Aggressive Water Bowl Issue

My 17 Week old GSD male, Wil is socialized with people and dogs and very friendly, except when a visiting dog is near his water. His behavior is extremely aggressive, showing teeth and biting! He was completely friendly with the visiting dog outside, but not in the house. We hired a trainer to help, but wonder if there is a remedy for this drastic change from sweet personality to killer instinct. Any comments would be welcomed.
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 10:11 AM

I would make sure the trainer has experience with GSDs. I would imagine this is still resource guarding and he would be the same way with bones or his food if they were available. My last GSD had some issues with water and food and they worked themselves out between us and my parents having a larger GSD she interacted with a lot of the time.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 10:28 AM

I'm guessing he eats next to the water bowl also?It's just his natural instinct to guard his main food/water area.Removing the bowl when you have a visiting dog may or may not eliminate the behavior.He may still want to guard that section of the room.Try that first and if doesn't help just make sure that they are never together in that area.Please make sure that any young children are NEVER in the vicinity of the pup's water or food!
It's not advisable to make a big deal over this and try to force him to share.It will make him even more anxious and defensive and make the problem worse.
Many times this behavior fades away by itself as puppy matures and begins to realize that food and water is always given and never snatched away.
Aly and CometDog like this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 10:46 AM

When Athena, Angel and Luna where puppies I would touch there food, put my face in there food remove there food have them sit before getting the food back, make it so the food being moved did not bother them, so I far its work great. I never had any issue with Athena in her 10.5 years, Angel same thing she is great with food if you get down in her food she will just sit back like she is saying ok let me know when your done LOL, Luna is still a puppy, she is also different from the others, she is very food driven so the process has been long. I took lunas bowl and she would circle me then sit, I would out the bowl down, then I would put my face near her bowl and she would lick it or eat faster than I would put my hand in the bowl or blocking the bowl, she would sit and just wait. When Angel is eating Luna is in a different part of the house, when it comes to water they both drink fine, never any issues well Luna will jump around the bowl and flip the bowl over making a mess but besides that never any resource guarding issue. Also I never never let the kids touch the dog when eating, I tell my nephew and niece to leave them alone while eating. I do not think I would have a issue but no need to start one either.
Arathorn II likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-03-2018, 10:48 AM Thread Starter
wil

Thank you for your suggestions and advice. He is with a GSD Trainer for a week and we're really hoping that we found the right trainer.
Our GSD, Wil often gets his water and food hand fed because he lifts the bowls and dumps the contents all over the floor. Could that be part of the problem? I just ordered a very heavy feeding bowl as a replacement. Would feeding him water and food on the screen porch outside the house be advisable? I had a GSD before that had no aggression and did not want to have a dangerous dog to children or other dogs. As I said, though, he is extremely friendly to all dogs, children and adults outside the house. He doesn't even bark at guests or people at the door. So far, his only aggression is other dogs near a feeding area. We do not have children, so I will be very cautious. He has met children at the park and at Lowes and has been very friendly. Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated.
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page