Puppy crying in crate - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Puppy crying in crate

Hi all,

I have had my 10 week old pupper, Solo for just over a week now. He is an absolute delight, so silly and cheeky but very loving, follows me everywhere. He is very sociable with other humans and animals, takes everything in his stride. Already toilet trained, can do sit, come, touch and paw. Still working on stopping biting the ankles but we’ll hopefully get there.

However I’m looking for a little bit of advice regarding crate training. He has no problem being in the crate and sleeps like a baby, but before he gets to sleep he must be able to see me or for me to sit beside the crate (he likes to fall asleep sucking my fingers through the bars). If I leave the room or he can’t see me he cries and cries until I come back into the room or he sees me. Should I just continue to let him cry when he can’t see me? Will this not make him feel his crate is associated with trauma? Or am I just being silly and should just hold steady with him crying - maybe get earplugs.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 08:21 PM
Elite Member

You coming back and letting him suck your fingers or giving him any attention at all is reinforcing the crying behavior. Yes you should ignore it. Only come into him when he is quiet. Soon the smart little devil will learn that having fits does not work. I know what it is like to be in love with a puppy and want to comfort them, but do not do this, it makes it continue and get worse

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page