Vacuum cleaner - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Vacuum cleaner

Anyone else’s puppy/dog not like the vacuum cleaner. Our puppy(3 1/2 months) hasn’t really been a huge fan since we got her, usually scared and doesn’t know what to do. I try to keep her occupied and act like everything is normal but that doesn’t usually work. My wife was just vacuuming and she actually peed this time which she hasn’t done that before. Anyone have any ideas to get her used to it, or will this pass on it’s own maybe?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 04:21 PM
Crowned Member

I keep mine crated and ignore them. I had a scare once when a dog tried to investigate the suction part and almost got her nose stuck. I think it would be possible to get a collapsed lung when the air gets sucked out of them.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 04:32 PM
Aly
Master Member

I like Wolfydog's crating suggestion and would add that it might be a good idea to crate her in a separate room (i.e., with the door closed and yummy treats). Two years on, my Rachel still either hates the vacuum or views it as a big noisy toy; hard to tell which it is. So, I use the rare vacuuming occasion (I am no domestic diva) to practice Down/Stays. She's getting really good at it now.

Aly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 07:03 PM

Luna isnt a big fan of it either i crate her.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 07:15 PM

When Beau was a pup I started acclimating him to the noise by just leaving the vacuum running in another room, and carrying on as usual in the one we were in. Once he was relaxed with that, I would turn it on in one room and bring him into the room with me, again ignoring it and going on about other tasks. Eventually we got to the point where he could care less if it’s running anywhere, even right next to him.

I turn it on when I’m brushing him, to collect the hair from the brush, and he actually enjoys that. He gets all happy when I vacuum now, hoping some brushing is coming up. He doesn’t investigate the machine, though, he seems to see it as my thing, so no need to mess with it.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 10:22 PM

My big-boy thinks the vac is a big toy. It is in the classic play pose, makes a sort of growly noise and smells like everyone in the house all smooshed together. My gal-dog thinks it is interesting but is just too noisy...as well as my big-boy barking at it.

If the noise hurts your dog's ears I think the only thing you can do is put the dog in one room while you clean the rest. Otherwise I think Beau's Mom has a great idea.
And then there are the little robot vacs. They are much quieter

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-23-2018, 10:27 PM

I have to throw my dogs outside when I vacuum. They follow me around like baby ducks. Invariably one of them gets tangled in the cord and unplugs it.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great advice, I don’t want to always have to lock her up somewhere or take her outside just because she doesn’t like it. So I might try it in the other room and work her into it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 11:54 AM
Master Member

My dogs do t like it either. I taught them to “place” on their cots and now they just stay on their coats while I vacuum, even when I go under the cots.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 03:20 PM

I would crate your pup, or put her outside. Not all dogs accept vacuums. I think the more they see and hear it, the more used to it they become. Just ignore any fearful behaviour. My pup was cautious, so I left the vacuum out of the closet for a few days, so he could sniff it, walk by it, ECT. When I turned it on, he just stared at it, and walked away, but he has never been startled by loud noises. Now he follows me around while I vacuum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page