7 month old not eating and acting odd this morning - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

7 month old not eating and acting odd this morning

Hi guys, I hope that I’m just being overly cautious here. I’m really worried about Apollo this morning.

Normally in the mornings he is very exuberant and excited. This morning he is walking around slowly, laying around while I make lunches and breakfast (this has NEVER happened). I got his food ready this morning and he wanted nothing to do with it. I gave him one of his favorite treats and he spit it out on the floor. He ate a handful of shredded chicken but didn’t want anymore. He has drank a little water.

Obviously I don’t think he’s gokng to starve or anything but This is so unusual for him and honestly it’s kind of scaring me. I’m going to call the vet but it’s 5:40 AM here so they’re not going to open for awhile. Can anyone ease my mind in the mean time?

Also, nothing unusual last night. Dinner, walk, play, same stuff we do every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 06:51 AM
Aly
Master Member

Sorry to read this; late night and early morning things like this always make me nervous. I don't have any suggestions, just a couple of questions: What's his usual elimination schedule? Has he peed and pooped yet? Does it look/smell the same? Can you look in his mouth to see if there's any redness or swelling? Run your hands over his body and see if there's anything that you can feel (e.g., bumps, swelling, distended tummy). If you know how to take a temp and can do that, by yourself, I'd see if he's running a fever. If you don't know how to take a temp, don't. Oh and you might want to collect a fecal sample now in case the vet needs it.

Good luck,

Aly
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aly View Post
Sorry to read this; late night and early morning things like this always make me nervous. I don't have any suggestions, just a couple of questions: What's his usual elimination schedule? Has he peed and pooped yet? Does it look/smell the same? Can you look in his mouth to see if there's any redness or swelling? Run your hands over his body and see if there's anything that you can feel (e.g., bumps, swelling, distended tummy). If you know how to take a temp and can do that, by yourself, I'd see if he's running a fever. If you don't know how to take a temp, don't. Oh and you might want to collect a fecal sample now in case the vet needs it.

Good luck,

Aly
He normally poops and pees in the morning and then poops again in the afternoon. He didn’t poop this morning but he did pee. There’s a poop in the yard from last night that I didn’t pick up(I was feeling lazy!) so I’ll pick that up and save it in case the vet needs it. I don’t see any redness or swelling in his mouth or any lumps or bumps anywhere. He let me touch and look at all of him which is also unusual- usually he gets kind of excited when I start petting him. He feels totally normal as far as I can tell. He is still wagging his tail and he followed me into the bathroom but he’s just laying down looking not at all like himself. I gave him another piece of chicken and he just looked at it. It makes me so nervous! Thank you so much for your advice here and things to look for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 07:15 AM
Aly
Master Member

Not at all; wish I could be more helpful. One more thing to suggest. Anytime a dog of mine goes off his food and the elimination pattern is different, I think about gas and/or possible blockage. So, raise that possibility when you call in. I'd also take a look at his bedding, toys, missing socks, etc. for possible evidence of eating inappropriate stuff.

Aly
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 07:55 AM
Crowned Member

If they get depressed I usually always take them in.

Any other thing like off food a bit but otherwise bright and playful or a bit of diarrhea but otherwise bright and playful and appetite is ok, I will wait it out or treat at home.

But if they are depressed like you describe we go, sometimes that's a fever or something that I can't just treat and see
Sabis mom likes this.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 08:22 AM
Master Member

I'd do what you're already planning....a Vet visit....you have the answers for some of the questions you'll be asked...can't go wrong with a poop sample IMO...whether needed or not.

Anything he may have gotten into during the night....licked...chewed.......cleaners...chemical s....scents....anything different you may have used around the house he could possibly have got access to...anything different in the yard or walking area... fertilizer-pesticide wise.... that you know of ?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 10:30 AM

Does Apollo eat grass?My girl Misty gets in trouble when she eats long strands of grass instead of just nibbling shorter new grass.In her case high fiber and oil does the trick to get her to pass it.Whole wheat bread smeared with lots of butter/margarine.One slice every three hours or so.She'll have a little diarrhea several times at first as it takes effect and within 8-12 hours she'll pass it.
Disclaimer:If you aren't sure what's going on a vet visit is imperative!

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

So, there were no apppintments available today at the vet so he’s going first thing tomorrow morning. They told me to just keep an eye on him and to keep offering him favorite foods.

I gave him a big glop of canned food which is his favorite thing ever... and he licked it and then walked away. I tried giving him some plain spaghetti noodles (which he usually loses his mind over) and he just sniffed them.

He’s wandering around inside but not in a normal way- he’s walking slowly and then he’s settling himself down and laying down (which is also really not normal!) he’s being super gentle with me and letting me feel all over him, and his ears are back almost constantly- normally they never are. Is that another sign he’s not feeling well?

His nose is cold and wet and he’s licking me and he got a little excited when we went outside and he’s wagging his tail.

I don’t think he’s eaten grass or anything out of the ordinary lately! He’s ususlly not outside by himself for any long length of time, and I watch him closely in the house. It’s possible though.

This is just so odd for him and it’s got me so worried!
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 06:38 PM
Elite Member

Hmmm... My first thought is an obstruction. He’s clearly uncomfortable. If he doesn’t poop soon and he gets any worse, you should take him to an ER vet. Trust your gut. If you are really worried, there might not be time to wait for tomorrow. You don’t want to be kicking yourself in the morning for not taking him in sooner.

Forrest 9/1/2016 - 5/14/2017 RIP
UFO vom Wildhaus "Archer" 4/30/19
Brooklyn - Golden retriever 1/30/11
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-15-2018, 07:21 PM
Aly
Master Member

Just catching up and I agree with Pytheis, it sounds like a possible obstruction to me too. Whether he's pooped or not today, I'd take him to an ER now.

Aly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page