Odd behaviors *after parvo - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 04:55 AM Thread Starter

Odd behaviors *after parvo

Hello, my puppy is four months old, he got sick last week with Parvo, (not sure why, he had all his vaccination and he had never been to the park, his vet said it was ‘really bad luck’, we are in Mexico, in a hot city in the north, so, there’s more parvo in this time of the year, but we even cleaned our shoes after coming from anyplace, anyway somehow he got it). He is now okay, more than okay, thank God, he was hospitalized for three days at the vet. A small part of me still think it was not parvo. But anyway, when this happened he was about to start a group class and have a couple of private lessons at home to understand him better. None of this happened. He got sick on Wednesday 30th, now he is all normal, in fact he has been quite normal since he got back, no vomits, no diarrhea. He appears hungrier every day and wants to play every moment, he is recovering his small weight loss. Yet, he is also teething since he is back.
But, he is more vocal now, he looks more confident, and he barks often, really often… he even barked at my dad today, which was really strange, and he barked at a dog in a YouTube video… and he is also, biting us again, he was not doing that to us before the parvo (he only nipped/bite my 9 year old sister), now he tries to bite all of us at times (not all the time)….
He is more inside the house and, in his indoors space, (he has like a place with small fences inside the house, your version of a crate), because we were told to keep him resting as much as possible. But again, he has a lot of energy right now. We have not allowed him to go to the backyard or to use all of his toys.
Is the barking thing to everything normal? (he barked at his poop today) What about the biting/nipping? Are these behaviors because of the ‘resting time’ of this week? I meant like a person that has been grounded to be ‘inside’ against its will….
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 09:38 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAROLINM View Post
Are these behaviors because of the ‘resting time’ of this week? I meant like a person that has been grounded to be ‘inside’ against its will….
Yes. He's bored and being bratty. Entertain his mind, play games inside.
CAROLINM likes this.

SG Seger vom Sitz vd Hose, IPO3, AD
G Faren vom Warkonhaus, Monkey in Training
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 02:23 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Yes. Probably just a coincidence. He is a growing up young dog, feeling his oats and seeing how far he can go with you.
CAROLINM likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 02:30 PM
Crowned Member

Now that he's recovered and feels perky again, the mischief will come out!

What's likely happening is that you're finally seeing some "normal" romping from this puppy -- parvo sucks out all their energy. While the illness was coming on, even before it broke, he was likely not feeling great. Now that he's feeling better, he's ready to take on the world.
wolfy dog, RoseW and CAROLINM like this.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post

Yes, we are playing with him. But I guess we will do it for longer periods now jaja.... He is really loud now, he barks for absolutely everything (and at anyone, even my dad), today he seemed to be talking with the Belgian shepherd next door.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Yes. Probably just a coincidence. He is a growing up young dog, feeling his oats and seeing how far he can go with you.

Yes, it is like he is realizing he is not a baby anymore... Anyway, would it be proper to call the trainer we had picked? I meant to start with two private lessons before the group classes? How long should it be before we take him out to houses and socialization meetings?
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Now that he's recovered and feels perky again, the mischief will come out!

What's likely happening is that you're finally seeing some "normal" romping from this puppy -- parvo sucks out all their energy. While the illness was coming on, even before it broke, he was likely not feeling great. Now that he's feeling better, he's ready to take on the world.

Yes. My mom said to him yesterday "well, what doesn't kill you, indeed makes you stronger"... He is quite a thing right now, trying to bite everyone, constantly barking, jumping and running....I guess we were probably being really condescending on him when he got back.....Any suggestions on how we should take things now? How long should we wait before taking him to other places?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 03:54 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
How long should it be before we take him out to houses and socialization meetings?
Depending on what that entails, asap.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Depending on what that entails, asap.

I meant because of the parvo, can he still pass it to other dogs or something?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 04:15 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
I meant because of the parvo, can he still pass it to other dogs or something?
I would ask my vet, especially since you weren't sure if it was Parvo. Was he ever officially diagnosed? If you want to be sure if he is immune, you could have him titered for antibodies.
Sabis mom likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page