Agression towards other dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By tim_s_adams

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

Agression towards other dogs?

Since classes are over for the summer and I'm in the process of finding a new house, I'm spending a lot of time staying at my parents'. That's all well and good aside from the fact that my one year old pup doesn't get along with my parents' cocker spaniel poodle mix. He's only about 20 pounds and has always been hostile towards other dogs due to the fact there was never another one in the house until now. He's never been known to do any damage but from the time I first brought my dog here way back when he was a pup, their dog has growled and barked at him. He's just a dog that doesn't like to be bothered and of course still being a puppy and full of energy, my dog is all the time trying to be right up in his face. It's to the point where if my dog is in the house, the cockapoo stays hid away in my sister's room upstairs. I would put all the blame on their dog being antisocial except for the fact that any time my dog hear's a door upstairs opening, he goes flying up the stairs and runs straight for their dog barking jumping and snapping. It's like he doesn't really bother him until he sees the other dog move. Then he's right up on top of him and a barking fit ensues between the both of them. I've dealt with it the best I could until today when he got upstairs and started it and I was using my leg to break them up and nearly sent my dog flying down the stairs. Any ideas as to what I can do? My dog has been around other dogs but never one this much smaller than him and I'm scared he may actually hurt their dog one day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 08:42 PM

Baby gates are one solution to keep the little guy separate and safe.I used mine often when my dogs were pups and still do in a few situations.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Like I said he will stay upstairs in my sisters room all day if we let him, but I just feel bad for him being cooped up by himself all the time. It's really not that bad until he gets up to move around. As soon as my dog sees him come off the couch or the bed or wherever it is that he's laying he goes right for him and the commotion ensues. It's like he wants to play but doesn't understand that this dog is smaller and older than him and doesn't want to be bothered. If I could just figure out a way to make him realize that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 12:15 AM

You could also put a drag line on him(no loop) and grab it or step on it when he goes after the little guy.Or teach him a Leave It command.If he has a favorite toy keep it handy to toss in the opposite direction to fetch it back to you.Make interaction with you more rewarding than chasing after the little dog.Try different things and find what works for you.The more times he engages in this chasing behavior,the more habitual it will become and harder to correct.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 08:59 PM
Crowned Member

To effectively teach your puppy to leave the older dog alone you need to closely supervise and control their interactions. Your puppy is just being a puppy, so don't be mad at him, instead teach him what is and is not okay...and, again, to do that control the interactions between these two dog ALWAYS (for now). When they are allowed to interact, be very stern and direct at telling the puppy to stop, and ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS enforce it. Then immediately change your demeanor and give the puppy something really fun and engaging to do - play with you, aniimate a toy, run squeal, whatever it takes to completely change his mindset! Boom, he's completely forgotten the negative and is now happy. Do this consistently and he'll catch on, but if you let it slide even 1 time in twenty, it'll take months longer for him to learn the concept.
dogma13 likes this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page