What Triggers Your Dog's Zoomies - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

What Triggers Your Dog's Zoomies

My puppy gets the zoomies if she is wet and our adult dog would get all nutty if she had 2 balls in her mouth at once or if she was carrying the gappay ball by the string instead of the ball. What triggers your puppy/dog into getting the zoomies?

"The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them." Isaiah 11:6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 02:47 PM

If I stomp my feet at Russ he goes wild and races around. If I say “I’m going to pinch your butt” to Scarlet, and then make a move towards her, she zooms around. Carly is way too dignified to ever get the zoomies.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 03:33 PM
Master Member

I could post a few different strange-funny things but....this one's about Shane....most folks have a dog(s) at some point that bark at themselves in a mirror.....the house we used to own had a full length mirror on the back of a door....we realized Shane would go crazy over that "strange dog" at 10 weeks ??..........we also had 2 ft. by 2 ft. framed mirror....by accident on a whim.....he was 5-6 months...half asleep in the den....I came charging down the hall way holding the mirror in front of myself....when he saw his self in the mirror he went crazy...from den ..to kitchen...down the hall and back...jump on the couch...off....on the recliner....off....every once in a while stopping to give that dog in the mirror h*ll....which just wound him up tight again...if it wasn't the "zoomies"....it sure qualified for the "crazies" lol....it was pretty much a weekly "routine" for he and I for a long time

Shane ended up in a wheel chair ( DM ) later in life....for a dog who was a thief.....prankster all his life....who didn't mind running fast enough to flip the wheel chair and grinning until i came and got him set back up....I never thought about it until right now... trying the mirror trick in the back yard while he was in his chair.... he would have loved it no doubt......shame on me.....Sorry old buddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 03:56 PM
Master Member

If you make any odd sound whatsoever, Ryka will take off like a bat out of the depths of you know where. Especially if you make a "brrrrr" sound at her. I have ZERO idea why it works, but when I'm in a quirky mood I always do it to get her crazy and then we run around like manics, haha. I love doing it outside too, because then she just runs herself absolutely silly. She also gets the zoomies if you pretend to stalk her. She'll lay there and pretend to look elsewhere, and then when you get close she leaps at you and runs away as fast as she can.

And @dogfaeries, I almost spat out my coffee at the "pinch your butt" comment. I think I'm going to try that on Ryka tonight and see what she does, hahaha!
dogfaeries likes this.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin

Last edited by Femfa; 06-02-2018 at 03:59 PM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 03:59 PM

Yeah, I say stupid things to my dogs all the time, lol. If I say "I'm going to slap your tummy" to Scarlet, she flops over so I can slap her pink stomach.

~ Diane ~

and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 04:03 PM

I let my two out in the yard and after some sniffing and bouncing around they face off...looking at each other with an unspoken "one....two...three.....GO!" and off they go zooming. They take turns being in the lead.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 04:26 PM
Crowned Member

The trigger is 9 o'clock PM.

They run around and goof off right before bed time, like clockwork.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 04:34 PM
Knighted Member

If I bend over a little bit, slap my hands on my thighs and make a Darth Vader sound, Rocky will come running flapping those big feet at me and this often turns into zoomies. Also, he sometimes gets wound up if I pretend to be a monster and say "I'm going to get you."
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 04:53 PM

Muddy puddles when he knows he's not supposed to be splashing in them. Being let outside. Deer smells. Wet grass. Chasing him up the stairs when he has a tennis ball in his mouth. Successfully catching a ball/frisbee in midair.
car2ner likes this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
The trigger is 9 o'clock PM.

They run around and goof off right before bed time, like clockwork.
Yes! Especially obnoxious if you're trying to watch a tv show.
Sabis mom likes this.

~ Diane ~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page