Crazy puppy tantrums - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Crazy puppy tantrums

Hi!
Any time I try to get Ursa, my 7 month old puppy, to do something she does not want to do, like getting off of the recliner, she resorts to these crazy biting tantrums. During these tantrums she runs around wild eyed and biting my hands and legs any time I get near her and then goes back to whatever she was doing that I was trying to stop her from. If I try to get her to stop again by gently pulling her off of the chair or taking the thing she is chewing away she does it all over again. She sometimes even does this when I just tell her to stop/get off. Otherwise she is super sweet but sometimes disobedient. What can I do to get her to stop doing this and listen to me.

Thank you for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2018, 11:30 PM

My inner Mom/Drill Sergeant says toss her butt in the crate for a time out. Calm commanding voice, and no bologna. Human is the boss. Sounds like a game or just plain teenager sass. I also have no idea how to deal with a seven month old GSD, so take that with a grain of salt.

Also, how long has this been going on? Might be first heat. My adult GSD acted like a *complete turd* for about three weeks when she was in heat.

ETA from the net: Adolescence..."If (s)he were human, this would be the stage at which you would hide the car keys." <--- cracks me up.

Kimmy, GSD - 9/2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buckley, GSD - 1/2018
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Stella, 100% Mutt - 2/2018

Chester Copperpot, Siamese Cat - 2008 to 2016

Last edited by Mame; 05-21-2018 at 11:37 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

She has been doing stuff like this for since I got her, but in the last couple of weeks it has gotten much worse. I’ll try the time outs in the crate and see if that calms her down next time she has a tantrum. Thanks for the suggestion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 12:29 AM

Could it be she just wants to engage with you and gets way too excited?Instead of grabbing her or making her stop whatever she's doing - grab a toy or tug and call her to you,then reward with a game.Take the opportunity to run through some obedience commands while you've got her attention.As she matures and gains more self control you'll be able to get her away from whatever in a calmer manner.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 01:23 AM
Crowned Member

You need to up your leadership. They won't pull this off with their canine leaders. "Maybe it is her heat" sounds like an excuse for inappropriate behavior.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 01:43 AM
Crowned Member

If you allow your dog to EVER be disobedient, you are effectively training her to think it's okay. STOP doing that! The onus falls on you. First you have to exercise a lot of self control! Learn when to use a command and when to avoid using a command because of the high likelihood that the dog is too hyper to listen. In those instances don't use a command, physically gather, corral, or do whatever it is you want, without saying anything.

When you give a command, on the other hand, don't ever do so without following through and enforcing what you've said...it's never optional. If it is, it's always going to be optional in your dog's mind!

It sounds to me, from what you've said, that your dog has been doing this stuff for some time. Change your routine and practices now, and the dog can and will learn the new rules. But don't delay the change, or you'll have BIG problems in the near future.
Shane'sDad and car2ner like this.

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 02:18 AM

A female dog in heat will display personality changes. That's not an excuse to let it fly, but it can help with adjusting training and expectations if an owner knows why those behavior changes are suddenly occurring. As it can happen anytime from sixth months to a year, it's also good to watch for so an owner can prepare themselves and understand their particular dog's needs and responses for the future.

Kimmy, GSD - 9/2015

Buckley, GSD - 1/2018

Stella, 100% Mutt - 2/2018

Chester Copperpot, Siamese Cat - 2008 to 2016
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 12:38 PM

Mine used to do this as well! So frustrating!

First, I totally agree with the assessment to give her a time-out in the crate if she resorts to the frenzied tantrum. Also, something that worked well for me (once she learned that the crate time-out was a possibility):
* If my pup was on the couch, etc., and I wanted her to get off, I'd calmly but firmly give her the command
* If she didn't immediately do what I'd asked, and instead started to get into the first stage of a 'frenzy', I'd get up and stand in front of her (not quite crowding her, but close) with my back straight, arms crossed, and look at her very sternly - trying to project "you better listen, this wasn't a request"
* As soon as she displayed some type of de-escalation body language (sitting, breaking eye contact, lowering her head, etc.) I'd immediately take a step back and soften my posture, then issue the command again
* 9 out of 10 times, the second command would be listened to

The "I'm the boss" posture, and giving her a choice to "make a good decision and listen", combined with her knowing that the next step was a crate time-out, really seemed to get through to her. It's very frustrating and easy to lose your cool when your dog is going berserk and running / nipping / being a general pain, but calm and controlled is much more effective whenever possible. Good luck!
car2ner likes this.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Thank you all for your suggestions. I’ll try them and see what works best with Ursa
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 05:52 PM
Elite Member

Sounds like the zoomies to me.

SQUIRREL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page