VERY Mouthy 5 MO GSD with an attitude, Suggestions, Please! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Carrie K
  • 1 Post By Tennessee

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

VERY Mouthy 5 MO GSD with an attitude, Suggestions, Please!

Hello everyone, I am not new to the boards, but have not posted for several years. I am hoping to get some advice from more experienced owners.

We brought home a GSD pup one month ago today. He just turned 5 months, is growing very quickly, and becoming more of a handful every day!!!

This is our 5th GSD, but the only dog in our home at this time. In the past, we have successfully rehabilitated GSD rescues and settled adult dogs into our home. We have not had a GSD puppy for several years and may not accurately recall typical puppy behavior, but this GSD puppy is VERY active and very smart and seems a bit stubborn. Thankfully, this pup starts obedience class next week. We have always used positive training techniques, awarding desired behavior and redirecting. He learned basic commands quickly but is still working to transfer training to everyday life.

The puppy bonded tightly with me right away and in his first weeks at home, he wouldn't eat or move away from the door when I was at work. He is finally bonding with my husband and adult son and has recently started responding to them positively and is no longer displaying separation anxiety when I am not home. Because of our daily schedules, he is rarely alone during the day and receives lots of playtime and attention. My husband and son tell me that he is low-key while I am not home.We have a few concerns:

1. I am experiencing the "Puppy Frenzies" before and after my workdays. The pup seems absolutely overjoyed to see me and jumps and nips at me repeatedly in an over-excited state for sometimes hours at a time. I have tried ignoring him and only responding to desired behavior, but he is 57lbs of craziness and that's getting difficult. His behavior continues through the evening, with charging jumps directed at me, followed by a nipping frenzy. He nips at my heels and legs if I try to move away. (Again, he is not alone during the day) We train and play in the evening, but he does not settle down until bedtime. When I am home on the weekends he is much calmer.

2. He has developed an attitude and even during a calm and focused time, he will frequently respond to command with a nip or bark to complain. I am worried that one of his nips will connect soon and cause real harm to someone.

3. He does not enjoy walks and will drag us home or refuse to walk at all. We are trying to socialize him to the walks by keeping it as low-key and positive as possible.

I am beginning to sense the puppy's confusion as well. Sometimes, he shows me that he doesn't understand what I want to see and will sit, lie down, or offer a paw, instead of following my original command.

I know that much of his behavior is common puppy behavior. I wonder if we are experiencing the behavior later than a typical pup because he was an older pup when we brought him home. The typical puppy training (bite inhibition, for example) has not worked well for us because he is so big and his puppy bites HURT! He understands OFF and LEAVE IT during training, but does not apply them to every day.

Sorry for the lengthy post. Any advice on how to manage this big bundle of overexcited dog will be greatly appreciated! We want him to be happy and well-adjusted, like our other GSD's

Thanks!
[email protected] likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 02:13 PM

Sounds like a boisterous puppy.....

1. If it were me I'd leash him in the house at all times with a corrective collar (read prong collar) on for quick corrections, until he learned that he's not the boss. He'd also get trained then go in the crate with a chew toy to calm himself.
2. see above but during training
3. If it were me I wouldn't really care what he want's. I decided we're going for a walk, he could he either get drug along and be miserable or he can come to terms with it. Not my problem.
4. .... He's been alive for 5 months, just keep working.
Nurse Bishop likes this.

"German Shepherds are cool dogs... You're welcome" - Memoirs of Cpt Stephanitz 1933

You see, a Malinois’ love is very different from that of a square - Prof. Adolph Reul

Millicent Mae WLGSD 4/27/17 &
Grendel KNPV Malinois 2/15/18
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2018, 06:23 PM
Elite Member

My standard answer.. Leerburg.com has great free videos, articles, Q&A sections. Mental exercise is often overlooked and to me is more important than physical. Sometimes when only the physical part of the dog is exercised, you just build them up for it. Make sure you have a great relationship with him, and work on fun games/tricks/obedience exercises. This wears them out, teaches them that working with you and learning is fun, and starts putting manners on your pup. He is just an active pup that is learning rules. Like a toddler that has never had to do anything they didn't want to. You can't beat it into them. They don't understand the rules or your language. PS I am not a strictly positive only trainer. But in the learning phase of anything I am teaching my dogs, especially a puppy, I am.

dogbyte Cathy, Rossi ( the Dutch shepherd) and Gunny (the Czech/DDR GSD) with Zoey, Chance,Xara,Gracie, and Jaden snuggled deep within my heart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page