Psycho puppy in crate - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By carmspack
  • 3 Post By Twyla
  • 2 Post By desertsage01

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Question Psycho puppy in crate

Gypsy is 9 weeks old and is becoming a terror around the house. I'm trying to get her to take a time out in a crate. However, placing her in a crate or even a closed room (like a bathroom) creates such a ruckus that you would think the dog was being tortured. The screaming doesn't stop until you remove her from the crate. Is there a plan B?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:29 AM
Crowned Member

you may be over stimulating the pup with endless keep-busy actgivity in hopes that the pup will wear itself out and crash .

if you put the pup into the crate when it is over wrought chances are you will have a revolt .

you are not raising a pup . You are raising a dog. That means that you are helping the dog to mature . What behaviour do you want from an adult?
Ask for it now . Show the pup how to go about it .
You want a sane house . Then ask for sane behaviour.

where does the pup sleep?

crate , at 9 weeks of age , is the best and safest place - plus it helps to quickly achieve house breaking .

the dog needs to be able to be by itself , as much as it needs to know how to be with you .

scoop the pup and put into crate . Cover crate with some cover that it can't grab -- cardboard ? Not a decorators choice but the effect is a more den-like expeerience.
Don't put the crate into the middle of an active area where you come and go and tease and frustrate the dog.

put the crate into a quiet area --- lights off , close crate, close door and walk away.

soon (hopefully) the pup will learn that the mini-tirade has no effect and so that ibehaviour is extinquished.

pup learns to calm down .
Aly and Mame like this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 11:33 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
To add -- the screaming doesn't win him freedom from the crate. Only release him from the crate when he is quiet.
Aly, Digs1 and Mame like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018, 02:48 PM

I had the same thing when my pup was that age. A friend told me to put her in the crate, close the door and leave! I did just that. the puppy screamed for an hour or more and then she fell asleep. It got better and better each crating time. Now at 14 weeks old, she actually likes her crate and will go in there on her own when she's real tired. When she's TOO MUCH, in the crate she goes for a needed nap. She listens to my husband WAY better than me and last night she was biting at my husband (she was overly tired), in the crate she went and instantly fell asleep. I didn't think mine would ever get used to the crate because of the screaming when crated when we first got her. And I kept getting her out but I was teaching her that screaming got her out. So it just made it a bit harder to re-do my mistakes. But now it's all good.
Mame and Kittykattyness like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 01:01 AM

My 10 month old went through the psycho stage. I placed a blanket over his kennel, and he didn't make a sound.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:57 AM

My 15 week old is most calm girl ever. Except when she was in the crate. It takes time for them to adjust. My girl would howl and bark cry I felt so guilty. Just don't let them out till they stop crying. Make sure she has toys and doesn't have to potty and ignore her.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 09:44 AM

Nine weeks is also really young. Your puppy was recently separated from mom/siblings, has no idea what you want, and is reacting to a new environment and new rules. It takes time. I left the house in the same way that desertsage01 suggested because I had to go to work. Four hours in the crate, lunch break for potty, four hours in the crate (Yes, I had to clean up my fair share of pee swamps and give baths that first month because of this). I can guarantee that my puppy had a fit, but I wasn't home to intervene and screw things up out of guilt or frustration. I'm home now full time since last week and I still do three hours in, lunch break and play time, three hours in (while the kids are at school) just to keep a system going. I can come and go from the kitchen (where the crates are located), do the dishes, work in my office, and our 18 week old is quiet because he's adjusted.

Kimmy, GSD - 9/2015
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Buckley, GSD - 1/2018

Stella, 100% Mutt - 2/2018

Chester Copperpot, Siamese Cat - 2008 to 2016

Last edited by Mame; 05-17-2018 at 10:06 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 05:36 PM

You've already gotten some wonderful advice. I'll parrot some of it by saying don'g give in to the whining and barking, doing so only guarantees that it will get worse. This screaming in the crate behavior is no different than the typical tantrum of a toddler....screaming and kicking. We (hopefully) don't reward children for such behavior. The principle is the same with puppies.

Sometimes, with puppies, you gotta have a cold cold heart and just ignore their pitiful performance.

I also wonder if your pup is getting enough exercise. Granted, she is very young and adjusting, but some solid play will help her welcome the reprieve of the crate.

It was worth it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page