Can't walk away from puppy without her freaking out because she can't get to me - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Can't walk away from puppy without her freaking out because she can't get to me

I have a 6 month old female GSD named Juno. She's healthy and coming along well except for one thing. I basically can't be in her sight away from her where she can't get to me without her freaking out (barking, whining, etc.) and pulling extremely hard to where shes scratching at the ground trying to get to me if shes on leash. It is pretty bad. I am assuming its separation anxiety, but at night and during the day shes fine in the crate. I am away for about 6 hours during the day while at school, but when I get home shes out and about in the house with me or on the couch watching cars go by outside. She gets plenty of exercise as well. I am lost as to where to start with curbing this behavior. Is this just something she will get over? has anyone experienced it with their puppies?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4456.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	492433   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4382.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	492441   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4452.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	492449  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 01:04 AM
Elite Member

To me at least this seems pretty typical behavior for a german shepherd, they are velcro dogs. None of my shepherds have ever liked me walking away from them while someone restrained them on a leash, they are much happier by my side. Why does it bother you? You can train the dog to stay but with mine at least when I put them in that stay they are intensely focused on me and alert. When we took the CGC test I had to leave the dog in a down stay with a stranger while I walked out of the room and out of sight. My dog the judge said was intensely waiting for my return but quiet and appeared to not be overly distraught. He didn't budge an inch. So it is achievable but difficult... if you want to work on it practice stays, start close and slowly add distance. Return to the dog but do not reward if the dog gets up, direct him back to the spot and make him stay again. Teaching a place command works well too. If she is fine in the crate and for 6 hours while you are at school this is not separation anxiety. Cute dog by the way .

SQUIRREL!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 08:16 AM

How much exercise and adventures do you and your young dog get? I find that if we've walked Miles that day (yes miles plural) and played for a bit or done some training games, and have adventures like visiting new parks on the weekends, my dogs are much more content. When we miss our long walks, or I get lazy about games and training or don't get out on the weekends, my dogs seem off, less content, looking for things to do.

Not to say that this is your problem, just a possibility.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 01:44 PM

My guy does that too. He's 4 months.

Husband and I took our pup and a friend to a nearby park preserve, walked around for about an hour and then thought the pup was getting tired, so I left to go get the car and then drive back to get everyone else. Put the leash in husband's hand, husband and friend sat down to wait as I walked off down the road. Pup saw me leaving, started whining, barking and screaming! Once I got back and we were all driving home, my husband said that other park-goers walked past the two of them and gave them looks like "what are they doing to that poor dog"?

The week after, husband, pup and I had been together most of the day, doing stuff outside, when we needed to make a stop at a hardware store. We were in his two-seater truck, pup mostly on my lap, and we park. Husband gets out to go in the store. Pup starts whining and barking, watching him leave. I'm like "what the heck, dog, I'm here. What's wrong with my company?"

But that's how they are. They want all their people together. And I like that about these dogs. They care if you're around or not, unlike most cats, who merely tolerate our presence.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 02:21 PM

The world out there is dangerous. Only safe place is within the pack. If one member starts walking away, he needs remainder where the rest of the pack is. So he doesn't get lost.

Dog doesn't need anti-anxiety pills, cuddles or compassion. He just need to see/be proven, that human members are more than competent to leave their pack on their own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page