HELP! Feeling overwhelmed - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation HELP! Feeling overwhelmed

I have an 8 week old german shepperd puppy and Iím already feeling overwhelmed.

I dont know what to do to entertain him 24/7....Iím trying to stick to a routine. 8:30am wake up, go outside to pee. Have breakfast. Relax for a bit...Then take him for a walk and play. But when i get back to the house if im not sitting there with him playing he whines and howls non stop.

I just dont know what to do...Ive tried leaving him in a gated area, but hes so loud im scared my neighbours are going to get mad. I know hes young and requires a lot of attention...I just dont know if im doing too little or if i need to be more firm.

Right now he was howling and whining for over half an hour so loud that i took him into my room and hes asleep on my bed beside me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 11:42 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha0b View Post
I have an 8 week old german shepperd puppy and I’m already feeling overwhelmed.

I dont know what to do to entertain him 24/7....I’m trying to stick to a routine. 8:30am wake up, go outside to pee. Have breakfast. Relax for a bit...Then take him for a walk and play. But when i get back to the house if im not sitting there with him playing he whines and howls non stop.

I just dont know what to do...Ive tried leaving him in a gated area, but hes so loud im scared my neighbours are going to get mad. I know hes young and requires a lot of attention...I just dont know if im doing too little or if i need to be more firm.

Right now he was howling and whining for over half an hour so loud that i took him into my room and hes asleep on my bed beside me.

First off relax and take a deep breath! It gets better with time I promise . Sticking to a routine if you can is a good idea but you don't have to be super strict about it. What kind of living situation are you in that you are worried about neighbors, is it a house or an apartment? This pup needs to learn to be independent, mine was the same way... if we left the room even to go to the bathroom he would cry bloody murder. What I did was set up two crates, one in the bedroom where he would sleep and another in the family area so he could observe us during the times we were busy and had to get things done yet this way he could still feel included. An X pen would also work or baby gate a safe area with nothing he can get into. Unfortunately this part is tough and he WILL cry... maybe talk to your neighbors and show them the new puppy and explain to them that he misses his mom and siblings and it will be a few weeks of noisy adjustment... unless they are completely unreasonable people they should understand. Something I did with my puppy to work on the crying was reward him with a clicker and treats when he was quiet. This is not an instant fix but takes time... put the pup in the family room crate and take one step back, even for a milisecond of silence click and reward. Slowly progress to two steps, three steps, etc. If he starts to whine before you can click and reward then you went too far and need to go back to your previous step. Eventually practice stepping out of the room for one second and click, praise, reward. Eventually pup will learn that you will always come back and it isn't a bad thing when you leave. The results from this method are good, my puppy could be left home alone out of the crate without destroying things at 4 months old and he has never exhibited any separation anxiety. Don't be afraid also to just put the pup up for an hour so you can have a break and let him cry it out... it feels harsh but if all his needs are met (pottied, fed, water) then he is just crying for attention. Do not let him out while he is crying, always let him out when he is quiet and reward for that behavior. Shape the behavior you want to see more of, patience is key. Be careful you don't overdo the exercise, at this age walks should be him free roaming and moving at his own pace. Remember that just like babies puppies also get cranky when they are tired and will misbehave more... sometimes a cranky puppy just needs crate time and a nap. The most helpful advice I was given when raising my puppy was to take his kibble for the day and put it in a treat pouch, puppy doesn't get any food or treats but his MEALS. Start young and shape those good behaviors, actively work with him and have your treat pouch on 24/7. If by the end of the day he still has most of his meal left then you didn't work with him enough. Before you go outside potty have him sit at the door and wait, click and treat. On your walk if he sees another dog and is interested, click and treat. If he is laying on the floor relaxing, click and treat. This way you are constantly training the pup and showing him appropriate behavior. Use toys to redirect inappropriate mouthiness or chewing on items he shouldn't. Teaching new tricks at that age is so much fun because they are just little sponges, get him engaged in you! There are lots of great tips out there! Everyone has different ways of raising puppies so i'm sure you'll get lots of different suggestions and responses, just do what works best for you and your situation. You're going to miss these puppy days soon!!!
tc68 and [email protected] like this.

SQUIRREL!

Last edited by GandalfTheShepherd; 04-03-2018 at 11:50 AM.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 11:46 AM

Congrats on your new addition! What you’re feeling is completely normal!!! You’re doing a great job!!! My pup is 16 wks and it does get somewhat easier as time goes on.
When I first got Caesar I was soooo overwhelmed!!! I always had Caesar tethered to me unless he was in the crate.....at that age they’re scared and missing the interaction with their littermates.
Either use a 6 ft leash and attach to your waist or on your wrist or they have a leash that you put around your waist. If the pup is with you he’s not going to howl.....I take him in the bathroom with me.....no privacy!!! LOL. Having them on the leash helps them get used to it.
If you have s crate I would put it in your room near the bed....knowing you are there will comfort him. I went to my neighbors and asked if they hear the dog barking because I was worried about that as well.....they said They didn’t hear anything....told them I was training a pup and if they did hear him in the future to please let me know.
You will get wonderful advice from the ppl here! Post often....it saved me from going bananas MANY times!!! 🙂
tc68 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheShepherd View Post
First off relax and take a deep breath! It gets better with time I promise . What I did was set up two crates, one in the bedroom where he would sleep and another in the family area so he could observe us during the times we were busy and had to get things done yet this way he could still feel included. An X pen would also work or baby gate a safe area with nothing he can get into.
Something I did with my puppy to work on the crying was reward him with a clicker and treats when he was quiet. This is not an instant fix but takes time... put the pup in the family room crate and take one step back, even for a milisecond of silence click and reward. Slowly progress to two steps, three steps, etc. If he starts to whine before you can click and reward then you went too far and need to go back to your previous step. Eventually practice stepping out of the room for one second and click, praise, reward. Eventually pup will learn that you will always come back and it isn't a bad thing when you leave.
Put something in his crate that has your scent on it, like a worn t-shirt.
Other than that, I'd be repeating Gandalph. Great advice, every little bit.
tc68 likes this.

Did you deserve your dog today?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 12:07 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evohog View Post
Put something in his crate that has your scent on it, like a worn t-shirt.
Other than that, I'd be repeating Gandalph. Great advice, every little bit.
Yep just be careful he doesn't eat it!! Some puppies do try to eat things in crate and some don't. Good point though this also reminded me.... get a kong! Stuff some portion of his meal in the kong and put him in the crate with it and it'll keep him entertained. Microwave it with some cheese or freeze it with pumpkin or yogurt if he needs more of a challenge. Just be careful and make sure you supervise him though, apparently a few people on this forum have had issues with their puppies getting mouths and tongues stuck in kongs... i've used them for over 10 years or so and i've never personally had a problem though . Probably depends on the puppy as well, I would watch him a few times and just see how he does with it. Puzzles are great ways of keeping a pup entertained... use a portion of his meal and lay a track of kibble around the house or outside and let him find them.

SQUIRREL!
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
First off relax and take a deep breath! It gets better with time I promise . Sticking to a routine if you can is a good idea but you don't have to be super strict about it. What kind of living situation are you in that you are worried about neighbors, is it a house or an apartment? This pup needs to learn to be independent, mine was the same way... if we left the room even to go to the bathroom he would cry bloody murder. What I did was set up two crates, one in the bedroom where he would sleep and another in the family area so he could observe us during the times we were busy and had to get things done yet this way he could still feel included. An X pen would also work or baby gate a safe area with nothing he can get into. Unfortunately this part is tough and he WILL cry... maybe talk to your neighbors and show them the new puppy and explain to them that he misses his mom and siblings and it will be a few weeks of noisy adjustment... unless they are completely unreasonable people they should understand. Something I did with my puppy to work on the crying was reward him with a clicker and treats when he was quiet. This is not an instant fix but takes time... put the pup in the family room crate and take one step back, even for a milisecond of silence click and reward. Slowly progress to two steps, three steps, etc. If he starts to whine before you can click and reward then you went too far and need to go back to your previous step. Eventually practice stepping out of the room for one second and click, praise, reward. Eventually pup will learn that you will always come back and it isn't a bad thing when you leave. The results from this method are good, my puppy could be left home alone out of the crate without destroying things at 4 months old and he has never exhibited any separation anxiety. Don't be afraid also to just put the pup up for an hour so you can have a break and let him cry it out... it feels harsh but if all his needs are met (pottied, fed, water) then he is just crying for attention. Do not let him out while he is crying, always let him out when he is quiet and reward for that behavior. Shape the behavior you want to see more of, patience is key. Be careful you don't overdo the exercise, at this age walks should be him free roaming and moving at his own pace. Remember that just like babies puppies also get cranky when they are tired and will misbehave more... sometimes a cranky puppy just needs crate time and a nap. The most helpful advice I was given when raising my puppy was to take his kibble for the day and put it in a treat pouch, puppy doesn't get any food or treats but his MEALS. Start young and shape those good behaviors, actively work with him and have your treat pouch on 24/7. If by the end of the day he still has most of his meal left then you didn't work with him enough. Before you go outside potty have him sit at the door and wait, click and treat. On your walk if he sees another dog and is interested, click and treat. If he is laying on the floor relaxing, click and treat. This way you are constantly training the pup and showing him appropriate behavior. Use toys to redirect inappropriate mouthiness or chewing on items he shouldn't. Teaching new tricks at that age is so much fun because they are just little sponges, get him engaged in you! There are lots of great tips out there! Everyone has different ways of raising puppies so i'm sure you'll get lots of different suggestions and responses, just do what works best for you and your situation. You're going to miss these puppy days soon!!!
Thanks for the advice...

I live in an appartment just until the end of this month and my boyfriend and i move into a house.

Iím mostly worried about someone who lives beside us because she works evenings so she stays up most of the night when hes sleeping and then sleep all morning when hes the loudest.

I havenít left him alone yet but tomorrow i have an appointment and will be gone for an hour and im terrified of how hes going to react...

He also got really sick when we brought him home so hes on rice and boiled chicken and an antibiotic from the vet so Iíll probably try the treat thing this weekend when hes feeling better and can eat his kibble!
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 12:15 PM
Crowned Member

The first few weeks I always second-guess my puppy decision, no exceptions, no matter how much I wanted them. But around the 16th week it starts to pay off when they start to understand our crazy world, getting used to routines etc. It is quite a job to raise a good GSD. I just went though this with Griff, who is about 15 weeks old.
tc68, [email protected] and Synne like this.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 12:27 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha0b View Post
Thanks for the advice...

I live in an appartment just until the end of this month and my boyfriend and i move into a house.

I’m mostly worried about someone who lives beside us because she works evenings so she stays up most of the night when hes sleeping and then sleep all morning when hes the loudest.

I haven’t left him alone yet but tomorrow i have an appointment and will be gone for an hour and im terrified of how hes going to react...

He also got really sick when we brought him home so hes on rice and boiled chicken and an antibiotic from the vet so I’ll probably try the treat thing this weekend when hes feeling better and can eat his kibble!

I feel your pain. I raised my 8 week old puppy on the third floor of an apartment. Which floor are you on? I've got some tips if you aren't on the first level lol. Things will be much easier when you move into a house for many reasons. We had pretty thin walls in the apartment and from the neighbors I talked to surprisingly they didn't even hear his banshee cries, it's worth talking with your neighbor if you bump into her in the hall to put your mind at ease. Oh boy... you are starting to remind me of someone, sick pup too? No wonder you are stressed. What did the vet say he had ? What was their reasoning for the antibiotic? Did he have a parasite? Coccidia ? Giardia? And what food was he on prior to the boiled chicken and rice and is the new diet helping? Try not to worry about your appt tomorrow, just crate him and leave a radio or the TV on to comfort him, he will survive. Many people raise puppies and work full time jobs and aren't home most the day.. they somehow make it. Sick puppies may have to go outside more, I know mine did from drinking tons of water to compensate for the diarrhea.

SQUIRREL!
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I feel your pain. I raised my 8 week old puppy on the third floor of an apartment. Which floor are you on? I've got some tips if you aren't on the first level lol. Things will be much easier when you move into a house for many reasons. We had pretty thin walls in the apartment and from the neighbors I talked to surprisingly they didn't even hear his banshee cries, it's worth talking with your neighbor if you bump into her in the hall to put your mind at ease. Oh boy... you are starting to remind me of someone, sick pup too? No wonder you are stressed. What did the vet say he had ? What was their reasoning for the antibiotic? Did he have a parasite? Coccidia ? Giardia? And what food was he on prior to the boiled chicken and rice and is the new diet helping? Try not to worry about your appt tomorrow, just crate him and leave a radio or the TV on to comfort him, he will survive. Many people raise puppies and work full time jobs and aren't home most the day.. they somehow make it. Sick puppies may have to go outside more, I know mine did from drinking tons of water to compensate for the diarrhea.
They said giardi but the breeder I got him from was not clear on the food he was on...Really left us in the dark about a lot even though I asked. So with a vets recommendation hes on Royal canin for german shepperd puppies.
His diarrhea has stopped now but Iím just worried about when he starts back on the royal canin food what hes going to do...Iíve been giving him half a cup of the kibble throughout the day so that he can get somewhat used to it still...

Iíll definitely do that, with the tv/radio! Thank you!!
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Crowned Member

Royal Canin may be too rich....I have seen a few dogs do fine on other stuff that have the runs on it....

Good luck!

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page