Mei and Angus playing - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Mei and Angus playing

Mei has a new friend. This is the 2nd time we've gotten together for the pups to play. Angus, the short stalky one, is just one week younger than Mei is. Would this be considered safe puppy play? For the most part, they don't start wining, whimpering or barking at each other when they play this way. The first time they met, they played this way also. This time we tried getting her toys involved but they both seemed more interested in each other.

Sorry if it is windy sounding. All the sudden it decided to be winter again....

Chuck94! likes this.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 11:46 PM

If they are taking turns chasing each other and alternating who is on the top and bottom when wrestling then all is well.
In this video it looked like Mei was almost bullying Angus,always on top and always pursuing him.Which would not be good.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 08:27 AM
Knighted Member

I agree with Dogma. I have a three year old male shepherd who recently ended up in my neighbor's yard while he fixed my fence. They have two female labs, one older and one young. My boy left the older one alone but he and the young one started playing. Initially, they ran and chased each other, but when they started wrestling, she was no match for Rocky. They didn't hurt each other, but when I saw Rocky continually pinning her down, I went and got my leash.
dogma13 and Mei like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Thanks for the comments. I did notice this as well. It's strange. Yesterday I felt a different vibe between the two. At first Angus didn't even want to play but Mei kept on persisting. Finally when they did start playing Mei was pretty aggressive right off the bat and I did step in several times to re-set their playing and even roll Mei to her back with Angus on top. Is it ok to step in and do this? It's strange, the first time they played it seemed pretty equal and fun for both of them. They'd even take breaks and lay next to each other panting, then continue on.

A couple things that I think caused this is, it was SUPER windy yesterday evening and we've noticed Mei HATES the wind. This could have added some aggression? Also, Angus just woke up from a nap and didn't want to play which frustrated Mei a bit? I don't know. I wish I could read dogs minds LOL.

Thanks again for the comments.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Here's a pic from a week ago with a one year old GSD/Malamua mix. It is completely different type of playing when Mei is with a dog bigger than her. These two played together pretty much all day at my work and ended up getting along great.

Tonight is Mei's last puppy social class and I'll pick the trainers brain a bit about puppy playing.

-sorry, don't know how to rotate the photo...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180326_144644.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	492313  
Daisy&Lucky's Mom likes this.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 01:53 PM
Master Member

Please do not alpha role your puppy and place another dog on top of it. You are not teaching your puppy to play nicely by doing so and could cause yourself more problems.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...a-rolling.html
Mei likes this.

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 02:11 PM

My dogs are best friends but sometimes I need to separate them if they stop playing nicely.It's perfectly normal for one just not to be in the mood or for one to decide he/she is master of the universe and tease or bully.Doesn't have to become an issue.
Just as you and I have days where we would prefer to stay home and read rather than go out and socialize
Mei likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramble View Post
Please do not alpha role your puppy and place another dog on top of it. You are not teaching your puppy to play nicely by doing so and could cause yourself more problems.

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...a-rolling.html
Thanks for this. Great video and makes complete sense.
Bramble likes this.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 01:54 AM

You very well may be, but I’d be using these opportunities around other dogs to work on focus, obedience and impulse control. May seem tough with a playful puppy that has a short attention span, but it’s worth it.

My dogs occassionally have very brief and playful interactions (and by brief I literally mean a minute long frolic if we run into a friendly dog on a hike or with some of the dogs I know at my job) with other dogs just before I call them back to me. They only play with each other (in the form of chasing) sometimes when camping or at the beach when they’re stimulated by the environment. Never on leash, never indoors. Keystone is the first dog I intentionally trained this way (of course his personality supported it) and it’s been so nice to remain his source of fun and entertainment in a distracting dog filled world. He’s confident, trust worthy and will walk away after saying his piece rather than engage in a fight. I believe this is a result of not only our relationship, but by not having to constantly experience (even well meaning) conflict with other dogs. Not deprived at all.
Mei likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 60lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 60lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 04-04-2018 at 02:01 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Mei
Master Member

Mei and Angus played again yesterday. I didn't get any video of it, but it went so much better. It was like taking turns who was chasing who and taking turns on top. It helps that Angus the lab is starting to put on some weight.

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page