Excessive whining all day and pacing at night - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Excessive whining all day and pacing at night

Hey all,

I have a 6month old GSD girl and was curious if any of you have "squeaky" dogs. I feel like I am making mistakes of stopping whatever I am doing and responding to the whining because I think the dog is in pain. She whines when I bring her out of the crate which I assume is she is just excited and greeting us. But then she whines when we work on walking on leash. If I am not giving her full freedom then she whines and cries. Then I feel bad because I think I am hurting her so then I will return home because I feel like a jerk. When we work on obedience training with something as basic as "Sit", "down" and "shake" she cries and yelps as if I am hurting her so then I stop. Then she stops, usually. If I go to feed her, it's excessive whining all the way til she starts eating. I can't tell if she's really in pain or if she is whining just to whine. I don't know how to get it to stop since my neighbors think I am abusing my dog.

The second thing that she does is pacing around at night. I have to work 8hours a day so she gets an hour in the morning with a walk and some training up to when she starts whining excessively. I have to put her in the crate til the dog walker comes in at noon to feed her and walk her. When I get home, we will go to a large open field and play fetch til she starts breathing hard then I usually stop the game and take her home since I don't want her to over exert herself and hurt herself. The fetch game is usually about 1-2 hours long. Given her age, I don't want to hurt her but she will keep going and going after that ball til she is breathing really hard. So if given the opportunity, she will go longer than 2 hours but I have never let her because I don't want to cause hip/joint problems. But now, I would assume that this means that she is actually tired and will relax when we get home. But she doesn't. She will catch her breath in the 10 minute car ride home and as soon as we get back in the house, she is pacing around my furniture as if she is tracking after an animal that is also going around the furniture. She really doesn't stop trotting around my La-Z-boy chair til I physically hold her by the collar which she will cry and whine to go and I will let her go and she will start pacing around the chair again. She will occasionally stop and stare at me while standing or sitting and just stare as if I am supposed to give her another command. I have tried training with her when she does this thinking that she just wants to "work" and she will whine and yelp at me for every action I tell her to do. So I automatically assume she is frustrated or in pain and I stop before I make things worse and then she goes back to trotting and I go back to watching my show or looking up information for work the next day.
Now this pacing problem has only started happening within the last 2-3 weeks. I have also tried giving her things to calm down like what I saw kikopup do with dropping food at their feet if they lay down but IF(really big if and usually has to be forced to) she does lay down and I drop food, she gets up and follows me again to try to get more. I don't want to put her in the crate or in the puppy proof room because I feel like I'm being a jerk already for having her in the crate for 7hours a day. Is this just more of the puppy phase where the pup doesn't know how to calm down so it will actively stay engaged til I force the pup to calm down??? If it is, how do I get her to calm down without enduring lots of whining?

I haven't done anything different with my schedule. We are consistently waking at 6:30am and up and moving with walks, training and breakfast til I have to go at 7:45am. I am at work from 8am-4pm but I know that she gets an afternoon walk. At 4:30-6ish, we are playing fetch and by 7pm she has her dinner. She goes to bed by 9pm-10pm because I am falling asleep in my chair by that time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 08:30 AM
Master Member

1-2 hours of fetch is way too long for a puppy. Joints are not fully developed and damage done now will have lifelong consequences. Take her for walk, this exercises both mind and body and does not cause the over arousal that playing fetch does. I would also feed all meal via a puzzle feeder of some sort, could be something from the store or as simple as scatter her meal in the yard or in a plastic bottle she need to knock around to get the food out of.

https://paws4udogs.wordpress.com/201...-a-good-thing/

https://paws4udogs.wordpress.com/201...rdog-syndrome/

If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 01:02 AM Thread Starter

[quote=Bramble;8943953]1-2 hours of fetch is way too long for a puppy. Joints are not fully developed and damage done now will have lifelong consequences. Take her for walk, this exercises both mind and body and does not cause the over arousal that playing fetch does. I would also feed all meal via a puzzle feeder of some sort, could be something from the store or as simple as scatter her meal in the yard or in a plastic bottle she need to knock around to get the food out of.

Thank you so much for your reply. I didn't know that 2 hours was too long. All this time, I have been trying to follow some online sources like Kikopup and Zak George on training. One of the videos from zak george said that to have a calm dog that will be more accepting of training, you should get in a good game of fetch or tug. I will tone it back a lot and I really hope that I didn't hurt my dog. Would I know if I did cause her joint pain or hip problems? Should I take her to the vet for xrays? She seemed fine today on our walk around the neighborhood.

I know she really enjoys running. I almost can't keep her to just walking when we are on walks because she pulls and pulls to run. She's been doing that since she turned 4 months. I look like an idiot because I walk in circles with treats in my hand like I see in videos on youtube to try to get her to stay with me and she just wants to run. She is getting it slowly, but I notice when I let her jog on the grass(because I can't keep up with her running), she is more tired on the way home and actually does "heel", "come" and "wait/stop".

I do have a puzzle toy. I have two that I rotate between. I have the kong wobbler and a StarMark Bob-A-Lot food puzzle. When she gets the hang of one, I switch to the other. I was told when she was little to get these so that she doesn't eat too quickly and it has the added bonus of also giving her some mental stimulation.

I do want to ask you about those articles you sent. I read both of them. The first one that you sent really made a lot of sense. I have over stimulated my dog and it is causing her to become hyper vigilant at night with the pacing. What it doesn't go into is how to fix the problems. So, of course, I will stop the fetch every day because I don't want to hurt or continue to over-stimulate my dog but, at the same time, when I did the research into how much exercise a 6month old should be getting many experts said that it should be about 5minutes per month of the age of the dog. So 6months means 30 minutes of exercise. Doesn't that seem a bit low? I keep hearing how high of drive these dogs are and with only 30 minutes of exercise coupled with about 30min-1hour of mental stimulation seems like I will have a destructive dog because she will be bored. And this is where the second article comes in. I know I have accidentally created a SuperDog. But again, the article doesn't really go into how to help get out of the massive hole I dug for myself. Do you have advice for how to tone all of this back without causing her to become destructive or otherwise frustrated by the lack of exercise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 07:56 PM

From what I have read and understand, the 5 minute rule is per walk...not total exercise in a day! So your dog can have two 30 minute walks a day.

Do you enforce naps? Even at 6 months, I think they still need lots of sleep during the day.

Sorry, I don't have any other advice. My pup is only 5 months old so I am still learning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page