lack of socialization - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 01:50 PM Thread Starter

lack of socialization

So I find out that the kennel my pup came from gave them zero socialization. Nothing with people, animals or outdoors. Could be why I'm having such a hard time with this one.
Have not been successful with the crate yet. I'm feeding her in there and she will eat in there but makes sure that door doesn't shut!! I have an x pen where she sleeps at night and she's ok with that. But if I'm gone for too long (more than an hour) she wails and cries non stop.
She's afraid of other people and the outdoors. I hope I can turn this around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 02:22 PM
Elite Member

Was the pup with mom and litter until 8 to 10 weeks? That and owner/family is typically enough. It sounds more like the opposite, she misses her littermates which is normal. Now is prime bonding time for the two of you. She will get over crying in her crate if you are consistent and stick with it.

Valor 6/3/17

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
Was the pup with mom and litter until 8 to 10 weeks? That and owner/family is typically enough. It sounds more like the opposite, she misses her littermates which is normal. Now is prime bonding time for the two of you. She will get over crying in her crate if you are consistent and stick with it.
she was taken away from mom around 4 weeks and littermates at 7 weks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 02:25 PM
Elite Member

Oh, yeah..that is way too early. That I do not have experience with but I know others here do. In the meantime you still can't go wrong with focusing on bonding.
tim_s_adams likes this.

Valor 6/3/17

- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometDog View Post
Oh, yeah..that is way too early. That I do not have experience with but I know others here do. In the meantime you still can't go wrong with focusing on bonding.
we are bonding but I also want her to be able to handle crate, backyard etc... Lately I've been glued to the couch with her at my feet and I have a feeling that's not a good thing either. For either of us. I don't know tho. All the pups I've had in the past did great after the first couple - three days in a crate or outdoors for short periods of time.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 02:49 PM
Crowned Member

How old is she now? And how long have you had her?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 02:59 PM
Crowned Member

What a sad start for this poor puppy! But it is what it is now. I get how difficult it can be, but it's important to focus on the puppy in front of you, and not compare her to previous puppies. Being taken away from her mother at such an early age is undoubtedly why she's having such difficulty.

That being said, it's a marathon, not a race. You can't force her to be comfortable. And in fact, anytime she's being put in situations that are distressing to her, is likely going to prolong her adjustment. Try easing her into things slowly. For example, eating in her crate without shutting the door is great! But forcing her to stay outside alone for an hour, not so much. Baby steps will get her where you'd like to see her much quicker! Just introduce new situations slowly, keeping her under her screaming threshold. When she's that distressed she's learning, but it's very likely NOT what you're hoping she's learning! Good Luck!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
What a sad start for this poor puppy! But it is what it is now. I get how difficult it can be, but it's important to focus on the puppy in front of you, and not compare her to previous puppies. Being taken away from her mother at such an early age is undoubtedly why she's having such difficulty.

That being said, it's a marathon, not a race. You can't force her to be comfortable. And in fact, anytime she's being put in situations that are distressing to her, is likely going to prolong her adjustment. Try easing her into things slowly. For example, eating in her crate without shutting the door is great! But forcing her to stay outside alone for an hour, not so much. Baby steps will get her where you'd like to see her much quicker! Just introduce new situations slowly, keeping her under her screaming threshold. When she's that distressed she's learning, but it's very likely NOT what you're hoping she's learning! Good Luck!
I'm here by myself now for the next 5 days. So I'll probably get slammed here for saying this but I have to get things done. I can't be glued to the couch with her. So she's going to have to be put outside. I have no options. I was doing the one hour outside because I'm out of options now. I guess it's the old school method. just put them out and let them get used to it. Back from my parents which was a LONG time ago. Ok.. go ahead and slam me for having a puppy. But in all honesty, I went into this thinking it was the same as my last 8 puppies over the years. I'm so tired right now, I really don't care what people say about me or to me. Maybe some old school people still around that leave them be and let them work it out?? Maybe not. My last three pups were left outside with less than what I have for this one and they did great. I worked full time so they had to deal with it. One ended up climbing out of the 6 foot fence area so she was put in an outdoor kennel with dog house during the day. And then came inside at night and slept in a crate. I really never did "crate training". I just put them in and call it good. When they whimpered, potty time. Or I'd get them out to play etc....
My neighbor just lost her GSD a year ago (old age) and she said she did the same thing. Out in kennel with dog house because she worked full time and inside at night. I asked if he screamed out there at first and she said, yes, the neighbor wanted to go over to sit with him but she said no, he needs to learn to be by himself during the day, that's life.
so maybe I'm doing it all wrong by allowing her to be inside at my feet all the time. I just had her outside, screaming about 80% of the time. When she was quiet, I let her in and she's TIRED. Asleep of course at my feet. So something has to give one way or another.
Sorry for the long post here. Just tired, headachy, at a loss...
the one person asked how long I've had her?
Today is day 8 and it's getting worse as each day goes by. Well not really worse but just more clingy. Sleeping better in the x pen tho so I can't say "worse". I got some sleep last night. First sleep in 8 nights. I'm just afraid when she gets bigger, she'll get out of the x pen. that's why I really want her liking her crate. So I can safely keep her indoors when I'm away from the house. I won't leave her alone outside if I'm not here.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 04:55 PM
Elite Member

Hey, I won't slam you. I've let my human babies cry it out because the night disruptions HAD to stop in order for me to function. When I have in the past got a brand new puppy I would take 2 weeks off, and I crated despite the protests and did a good schedule of crate/out to relieve/eat/play/relieve/crate for rest. I think when people are saying "bonding" you are taking it in the literal sense lol. Bonding is the time you spend with them, sure, but it is also the routine and security you give them. They like a routine, they feel secure knowing what to expect and having it happen. If she is obsessed with being stuck to you all day she isn't getting the sleep she needs either. A pup her age should be sleeping most of the day. Set up a routine where there is crate time, out to relieve, eat, play (physical bond and maybe a "sit" with a treat reward), relive again, then SLEEP.

Or do the same rotation with the outside pen if you don't want to crate. I personally would not leave a puppy outside, I would crate for safety. But different strokes as they say.

Whatever you do though, decide on it then do not change it. Stay the course. She has had so much change in her short life, all of it too soon on the breeders part. So just give her a few days of consistency and give yourself a break! We are allowed to still run our lives while having a puppy. Otherwise nobody with a busy house with little kids would ever have dogs.

Breathe..it's only 8 days...it WILL get better.

Valor 6/3/17

- 6/3/17
Blitzen 2/21/19

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 05:10 PM
Crowned Member

You will get no flack from me. Unless the pup is hurting itself sometimes it's best to just let them figure stuff out.
I am on the same page. With few exceptions I pop in crate close door and walk away.
I will say I am not a fan of baby puppies being outside unattended. In the city I live in I wouldn't leave an adult dog outside unattended. That said, do what you need to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page