Is this normal LANDSHARK behavior??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

Is this normal LANDSHARK behavior???

Good morning all! Just wondering if itís normal or acceptable for my puppy to bite and draw blood??? Caesar is 3 mo old. Iíve had puppies before but this is my first GSD. Iím going to try and post a pic of where he bit me just since 7am. Any suggestions very much appreciated!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	18CDC59B-AEFA-4B55-B606-CFBCB317880F_1519826507694.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	484569  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:05 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Is it normal, yes. Is it acceptable, NO. Redirect to a toy. If he is being totally awful either leave the room (if a puppy safe room) or put him in his crate as a time out (don't make a big deal out of it, but he needs to realize that the fun ends when he does that to you).

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 TR3 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:25 AM
Elite Member

^^^^^what Ihczth said.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 11:38 AM
Crowned Member

It is normal for behavior for the land sharks. But it is meant to learn from as an owner and not let it go that far. You even have puncture wounds! My advice: go to an appliance store and get a large carton box. Maybe cut the tallest part off so you can easily and quickly put the pup in there. Place it in the pup area or wherever you spend time with him. As soon as the pup goes too far, he is in the box for about 20 seconds. I prefer the carton box over a crate so the crate doesn't become a punishment association. The carton box completely isolates him for a brief time, which is the opposite from what he is going for.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 11:55 AM

Unfortunately, yes. I had no warning or knowledge of "landsharking" prior to my pup. I knew puppies bit and chewed, but this was a whole new level of bitey terrorism. My hands were a mess! He's almost 4 months now and he is so much better, but still has moments now that teething has entered the picture. We redirected to toys. This is constant, we couldn't let him get away with anything. The toys had to be fun or else he would come back for us. If he was being a major brat, he was put into his kennel until he was calm or fell asleep.
It gets better, just be patient and consistent. He'll still get you occasionally, but give him a toy and play. My pup, at 4 months usually only gets me when we are playing, accidentally. Or when he's jumping toward a toy or something and his aim is off. I will have scars, and memories, I guess. >.<
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180228_084556_1519833252198.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	484577  
tim_s_adams likes this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 02:22 PM

4 montys old girl. And my hands looks exactly the same. She stops bitting when I say NO. And when redirected to toy, she will bite toy. But sometimes I just can't help myself, playing with her is so much fun!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 02:32 PM
Crowned Member

I'm the same, it's just too much fun to play with them...what's a little blood loss?! LOL!

That being said, whenever I say "stop" she did, but my hands and forearms are permanently scarred, mostly because I'd be laughing too hard to say anything often.

Buy a small spray bottle and put water in it...to reinforce "stop"...it's annoying enough that they won't ignore you!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 02:35 PM
Crowned Member

I do not permit any of my dogs or puppies to use me as a chew toy. There are some excellent and effective methods to stop this in this link: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/8333337-post1.html
JessicaR and tim_s_adams like this.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand youíre hanging on to your dogís body because youíve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 07:44 PM
Elite Member

Just wondering. How much excerise does this dog get?

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2018, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the excellent advice!!! Iím hoping today was just a bad day. Going to bed and praying tomorrow will be a better one!
Caesar gets a long walk every afternoon for 45 min-1 hr by my son and I have him out for shorter walks at least 5 times a day and a lot of fetch and mental stimulation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page