Crying/Barking in Crate - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By wolfy dog
  • 1 Post By wolfy dog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Crying/Barking in Crate

We have had Edison since he was 6 weeks old. He turned 6 months old today. He has been crate trained since we have had him and sleeps all night in his crate. If we have to leave during the day, we also crate hime for an hour or two until we get back. He's always been fine in a crate, no problems at all until the last 3 days.
We place him in the crate and he begins to bark and cry. He has never done this before. At first we thought it was because he saw the cats and wanted to chase them but today when we left they weren't around and he did the same.
His crate is located in an open walk in closet where he has fell view of our bed. I'm not sure if that makes a difference but wanted to add that just in case.
Is this just a phase he is going through? How do we stop him frombarking/crying?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 05:34 PM
Crowned Member

Unless something traumatic happened, welcome to doggy adolescence. Don't fall for it and stay the course. Do not look or talk to him so completely ignore him. Release only when he has been quiet. if he paws the crate door because you are not fast enough according to him, close the door again and walk away and try in a few moments when he is quiet.
tc68, Nurse Bishop and Edisonsmom like this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edisonsmom View Post
We have had Edison since he was 6 weeks old. He turned 6 months old today. He has been crate trained since we have had him and sleeps all night in his crate. If we have to leave during the day, we also crate hime for an hour or two until we get back. He's always been fine in a crate, no problems at all until the last 3 days.
We place him in the crate and he begins to bark and cry. He has never done this before. At first we thought it was because he saw the cats and wanted to chase them but today when we left they weren't around and he did the same.
His crate is located in an open walk in closet where he has fell view of our bed. I'm not sure if that makes a difference but wanted to add that just in case.
Is this just a phase he is going through? How do we stop him frombarking/crying?
Thank you for the advice. We have been ignoring him and it seems to have helped a little. We have discovered however, that he's at his worst when he sees our cats on the bed. His crate is in full view of our bed and its so big, there's nowhere else to move him. We think its maybe a jealousy thing. In the meantime, he's scaring the heck out of the cats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 11:46 AM
Crowned Member

That is easy to solve by keeping the cats out of your bedroom. I know cats; they are instigators to get the dog into trouble somehow, probably staring at him? (Seen the movie Lady and the Tramp?). They know perfectly well that he is locked up. Are the cats really afraid? Sometimes it is much easier and common sense to manage vs training. How in the world do you get any sleep?
I would have loved Deja to sleep in our bedroom but she goes berserk when she hears deer in the yard and I am not willing to train in the middle of the night so she is crated in the living room; easy.
Nurse Bishop likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
That is easy to solve by keeping the cats out of your bedroom. I know cats; they are instigators to get the dog into trouble somehow, probably staring at him? (Seen the movie Lady and the Tramp?). They know perfectly well that he is locked up. Are the cats really afraid? Sometimes it is much easier and common sense to manage vs training. How in the world do you get any sleep?
I would have loved Deja to sleep in our bedroom but she goes berserk when she hears deer in the yard and I am not willing to train in the middle of the night so she is crated in the living room; easy.
I had to laugh at this because we have a new puppy AND 3 house cats. 2 of the cats totally stay away from the pup but my male cat will sometimes taunt the pup and I have to discipline the cat - make him just leave and stop staring at the pup! And the cats DO know when pup is locked up and they get worse. I agree to keep cats out of the bedroom when pup is in crate. It's just too much for the pup. Frustration. It's hard getting everyone on the same page in the household with multiple animals especially cats.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

It's certainly a juggling act, making sure everyone's happy. I feel bad for the cats. They've been here for a couple years now and were the center of attention. Now they have had to adjust to a little less attention due to the puppy. Their only guaranteed time with us is at night, when Edison is in his crate. They come and snuggle right before bed. Edison's just found his loud bark and none of us are used to it. So the cats take off running. Poor guys. BUT...the cats are not totally innocent, just like you said. They soooo mess with Edison during the day, especially Newton. He was our baby before Edison so there's a little rivalry going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page