Persistent biting - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By dogma13
  • 1 Post By Armistice
  • 1 Post By e1701dlf

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Persistent biting

My puppy wants to bite at our hands, feet and face even after giving a toy instead. I'm doing Off but it only sticks for a few minutes before she seems to have forgotten the command.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 11:03 PM

My girl is also biting all the time, but when I say NO, she will instantly stops.

Basically I told her 3 times NO. She didn't listen. So I bite her back on the back of her neck. Until she whined (GSD are cry babies, so it didn't take any real pressure).

Four days later she stopped listening again. She was like, was that an coincidence? I can stop listening? He really didn't mean it, right? So I have bitten her again. Since then she has a great respect for the NO.

I'm not fan of physical punishments, but I wanted to make clear for the future, that NO is the line that she can't cross. And it's working perfectly.

//I'm not an expert. Just a thing, that worked for us.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 11:38 PM

Until she bites back like she would do with another dog.Really not advisable.
Gsds are terrible landsharks until teething is over.Animate the toy and make it interesting.There are many threads in the puppy section about biting and various solutions that worked for others.What I've always done is to offer my fist,then press GENTLY into puppy's mouth so it's uncomfortable to bite.When puppy backs off I make his toy exciting for him to attack.
dogbyte likes this.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-18-2018, 11:50 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonkyT View Post
My puppy wants to bite at our hands, feet and face even after giving a toy instead. I'm doing Off but it only sticks for a few minutes before she seems to have forgotten the command.
I'm assuming you put toy in pup's mouth and walk away? You can't do that. The toy has to be more fun than YOU

Best you can do is keep redirecting. It will get better
dogbyte likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 03:38 AM Thread Starter

Thank you everyone! I figured it was a puppy thing and that it would pass with age but I just wanted to be sure. We will keep working with her!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 11:30 AM

The biting and nipping is annoying and happens a lot with my husband and I, often on "walks" but sometimes at home. Boon is only 9 weeks old. Part of it is exploration, I think, and part might be a dominance/testing thing. He's a GSD puppy and that's what they do. Redirection with a tug toy is what I do in the house when he bites at me but I have to show my husband this trick. And it is important to play with the pup, not just give them the toy and hope they'll amuse themselves with it.

Telling Boon "NO!" when he bites and pushing him off just makes him bark at me and gets him more worked up. Bitter apple spray applied to my slip ons and the leash works somewhat but is not a magic fix. I will have to remember to bring a tug or other toy on walks to try distracting Boon too, but it would be nice if he'd focus on not walking in front of me or finding a spot to go to the bathroom instead. There's so much training to do!

Be careful also if you pick up your puppy to carry him somewhere. His mouth is closer to your face and they like to wriggle around and bite what they can. My husband has a new cut on his chin from a sharp puppy tooth, in addition to all the minor wounds on his hands and lower legs. We are trying to enjoy the puppy stage but also eager to get to "settled dog" stage.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 01:59 PM

My GSD female, Zoey is now 15 months old and becoming a phenomenal girl and seems to get more delightful every day. What do GD puppies do? They bite. I have little white scars (small) on both arms. Here's what worked for us. When puppies bite their mom too hard, she yelps and stops playing. A loud NO doesn't mean anything to a dog. Try to make it high pitched and take away what means everything to you pup, playing with you.

Pop him in a kennel or crate for a few minutes if he wont stop playing (biting). I suspect a 9 week old has no concept of dominance. Playing and fun is the life of a pup. Slapping at his face or giving him toys is counterproductive. Those are play moves and he should never fear your hand. My husband starting using the term "friends" for when it was time to stop biting.

As Zoey got older, we would play, putting our hands in her mouth and yelp and stop the minute she bit down too hard. We were trying to teach her bite control and seem to have succeeded. I was playing that way with her yesterday. She started biting a little hard and I stopped playing. No bleeding anymore.

GSD have high prey drive, they play hard and they are mouthy. It goes with the territory. We have a few scars. We also have a phenomenal dog. Patience and education and you will be rewarded.
[email protected] likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page