Quirky Habit My 7 mo Has Gotten Into - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Quirky Habit My 7 mo Has Gotten Into

So my 7 mo boy got into a habit that started about 2 weeks after we brought him home at 13 weeks. In the evenings my daughter and I are usually in the living room watching TV while my son is in his room playing a game, reading, or doing homework. He goes to bed about an hour before my daughter. At about 9, I hollar his name (because he most often has headphones on and I am too lazy to get up by that time in the night lol). Our 7 yo Shorkie, Coco, is a barker. She always barks when she hears a door open in the hallway in the evening. So I would call my son, he would open his door, Coco would bark (a lot), my daughter and I would both tell her to stop. This was pretty much a nightly occurrence. About two weeks in after getting Jax, when Coco would start to bark he would get up, bark at her and put her down with a paw till she stopped. Fast forward a bit. Now every time I call my son's name from the living room Jax jumps up barks at Coco and pounces on her/holds her down......and the poor thing doesn't even think about barking anymore! He doesn't hurt her, but I'd still like to get him to stop.

I've taken to calling him by our last name or saying his name with funny accents so it sounds different, which works, but when he opens his door Jax has the same reaction lol.

Lets hear those ideas, and thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 09:02 PM

That's a funny story - Jax the EnforcerCould you put him in a down/stay or call him to you and hold his collar?Decide what you would like him to do instead and help him form a new habit.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

It IS kinda funny...but getting less so nightly lol. He also herds her around the house. Poor Coco is in small dog **** at the moment. She tries to show him who's boss but he remains unfazed by her ferociousness I assume this gets better with time/age?

He listens to down/stay well when we are in "training mode", IE when I have treats or his favorite toy. If I just grab his collar it results in him barking in her direction and pulling to get to her. I will try the down stay with a high value treat tonight and see how that goes. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 09:44 PM

Hang tough!When they've practiced a behavior many times it's not easy to create a new one.Takes some repetition.

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 10:02 PM
Elite Member

You could stop the trigger i.e. hollering his name. Just ask him to keep his phone on him and call him. Even if he has earphone on, he will see your call coming through or feel his phone vibrate. He already knows what you want so no need to ans the call. Also have your son keep the door open just a crack to eliminate the sound of it opening. Change the habits

Have Coco next to you when you call your sons name. When Jax starts in on Coco, give him a firm no and/or just stand up and put yourself between them but facing Jax.

Just my 2cents but in this situation, I wouldn't show him I have a treat at all, especially if he already knows the down command. But I would give him a treat once in the down. Imho, this is a situation that needs compliance free from bribery. But a reward for complying.
dogma13 and Nurse Bishop like this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

I have to admit that he is not well enough trained yet that he will hold a down through a trigger like that without a treat (though I can certainly give it a try). I will work on it and hang tough!!

These are the troublemakers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180214_210919.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	151.8 KB
ID:	481401  
dogma13 likes this.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 10:37 PM
Crowned Member

He learns and copies from the Yorkie. Time to take action with both dogs and your son as well. If he is old enough for headphones he should understand bed time. If he doesn't, he isn't old enough for phones or a phone. Sorry, I always practiced tough love; not easy but the end results are pretty good.
CometDog likes this.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 10:48 PM
Elite Member

He is only 7mo, so if he goes into the down on command with no treat being offered, once down, give him the treat and then keep praising. Him going into the down under that kind of distraction is worthy of immediate reward. You can work on withholding the reward for longer periods slowly. But for right now, if he complies immediately to the command, Then immediately reward him. He earned it. Just don't let him see the treats first.

I'm not a trainer, but that is how I would do it.

Love that pic of your devilish darlings.
CometDog likes this.

"If you can't see his soul when you look in his eyes, then you need a seeing-eye dog"
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
He learns and copies from the Yorkie. Time to take action with both dogs and your son as well. If he is old enough for headphones he should understand bed time. If he doesn't, he isn't old enough for phones or a phone. Sorry, I always practiced tough love; not easy but the end results are pretty good.
Respectfully, I didn't ask for advice on how to remind my son to brush his teeth and say goodnight. The hollering isn't because he refuses, it's simply me reminding him of the time. I agree the dog antics need some work, however
CometDog likes this.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartandsoul View Post
He is only 7mo, so if he goes into the down on command with no treat being offered, once down, give him the treat and then keep praising. Him going into the down under that kind of distraction is worthy of immediate reward. You can work on withholding the reward for longer periods slowly. But for right now, if he complies immediately to the command, Then immediately reward him. He earned it. Just don't let him see the treats first.

I'm not a trainer, but that is how I would do it.

Love that pic of your devilish darlings.
So you are saying put him in a down, then call my son, and reward Jax if he stays in the down? Yes, I can ask him to down with no treat present and he will comply, but I am sure that the moment the door opens he will lose that concentration. Was thinking to do it with a treat present throughout the first few times so he understands better what I am asking of him, then phase to no treat visible till after once he gets it?
Heartandsoul and CometDog like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page