Otherwise housebroken 14-month old female peeing in same spot in house - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Otherwise housebroken 14-month old female peeing in same spot in house

I joined this evening in desperation because my otherwise wonderful, thoroughly housebroken 14-month old female (I think she still qualifies as a puppy, right? she certainly acts like one!) won't stop habitually urinating in the same spot on the wood floors in our dining room. I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this issue with their GSD and what you did to correct it.

We've had our girl since she was 3 months old. She's been housebroken for a long time and definitely knows that she needs to go to the bathroom outside. However, over the last 3-4 months, she's developed a real issue with urinating very large puddles in the same area around our dining room table. This is in spite of the fact that we let her out CONSTANTLY. I see her pee outside almost every time she goes. However, for some reason, she has really taken to this nasty habit even though I know she's fully capable of holding it (because she is barricaded from that room when we sleep and doesn't urinate in the living room where she sleeps). It seems like she sometimes does this out of the blue if she goes into the room and it's dark and unsupervised, or she will bark at the back door and if one of us doesn't let her out quickly enough, she does it.

We have had some issues with bladder infections. This behavior was originally why we brought her in and she's dealt with two of them over the last few months. Both were treated with long courses of antibiotics which cleared the issue. The vet said when we first brought her in that she does have a congenital deformity with her private area and that this is relatively common in GSDs. He said to routinely clean it/wipe it down with a pet-safe wet wipe to prevent this issue from recurring in the future. We've followed all of this protocol religiously and yet this behavior is still occurring. She's still doing it even though I JUST let her outside for a long period of time. I love her with all my heart but this behavior is starting to really upset me because I feel so helpless to do anything about it. The way our house is configured, it's difficult to constantly barricade her off from the room where she always does it except for at night when she can't get in there. That's how I know it's more of a territorial/behavioral thing vs. a true, urgent need to urinate because she can't hold it.

When we clean up the mess, we use Nature's Miracle Hardwood Cleaner. Is this the wrong product?

I'm so frustrated and just don't know what to do anymore. She's a wonderful dog, and so smart and loving, and so well-behaved except for this issue.

Any tips or advice? Also, she's spayed and has been for a while. I thought females did not do things like this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 11:31 AM
Master Member

The nature’s hard wood cleaner is great and worked for us with the same issue. Can you block her from going into that area for a while ?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 12:08 PM
Knighted Member

I might take her to the vet just to rule out a UTI.... especially since she goes at the backdoor if you're not fast enough. If you have ruled out health issues, then maybe she just doesn't completely understand where she is allowed to potty. I would tether her to you or crate her when you can't supervise her.

Make sure you are outside with her when she potties, praise and treat her when she does the right thing. One of my dogs likes to go two or three times before he empties his bladder, so you might wait awhile after she goes to make sure she is finished.

If you catch her in the act of going in the house, you might give her a firm NO and lead her outside immediately (but if you reprimand her after the fact, even a minute, it won't do any good because she won't associate your anger with pottying in the wrong place).

If you can't section off the living room, you might try partitioning off the favored spot (say with an ex-pen). But, if it were me, I would first go back to supervising her more closely and limiting her freedom.

Good luck. I hope that you see some results soon. I know how frustrating that must be.

You said she was otherwise thoroughly house-trained. Is this a new behavior? Did you bring in a new dog or family member? Any major changes in your household? Asher made a house-breaking mistake when he was about 10-months old. It was not long after we brought home baby #1. I may have been distracted and waited to long to let him outside (sorry bud), or else he was just adjusting to the change. It was a one-time occurrence.

Last edited by sebrench; 02-13-2018 at 12:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page