Biting problem - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Biting problem

My family and I recently adopted a 8 week old German shepherd. I know she is probably teething but , she is biting or nipping a lot at our feet and just generally biting. How do we go about curtailing this behavior?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 11:22 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My family and I recently adopted a 8 week old German shepherd. I know she is probably teething but , she is biting or nipping a lot at our feet and just generally biting. How do we go about curtailing this behavior?
Normal behavior called Landsharking. What most people do is say "NO!" and then give the pup a toy as redirection. You must make the toy fun, don't just shove one in her mouth and walk away. Give her the toy and play with her a bit

Teething doesn't start until around 4-5mos

Puppies explore with their mouths. It's not bad behavior, it's just what they do. You will get stabbed. You will bleed. It's just part of having a puppy. They grow out of it, so don't think it's forever. It'll only stick around for a few mos. If you did even a halfway decent job, the landsharking will decrease around 5mos

I think my pup was easy. Didn't landshark much. Only bled a few times. Other people say they had to carry a roll of paper towels they were cut up so much...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 11:52 AM
Elite Member

My hands, arms and legs were covered in bandaids. You are now experiencing the needle-like baby teeth.

He prayeth well who loveth well
Both man and bird and beast;
He prayeth best who loveth best
All creatures great and small;
For the dear God who loveth us,
He made and loveth All.

Last edited by Nurse Bishop; 02-03-2018 at 11:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 12:22 PM
Master Member

Tie a strip of old towel to a string grab the string and make the towel come alive see if you can get your puppy interested in biting it and or chasing it. Read the sticky on bite inhibition in the puppy section. It's worth reading more then once. It's hard to say what will eventually work for your puppy. Redirection to a toy was one way that worked well for me. It took me a long time to end that behavior like months.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
Normal behavior called Landsharking. What most people do is say "NO!" and then give the pup a toy as redirection. You must make the toy fun, don't just shove one in her mouth and walk away. Give her the toy and play with her a bit

Teething doesn't start until around 4-5mos

Puppies explore with their mouths. It's not bad behavior, it's just what they do. You will get stabbed. You will bleed. It's just part of having a puppy. They grow out of it, so don't think it's forever. It'll only stick around for a few mos. If you did even a halfway decent job, the landsharking will decrease around 5mos

I think my pup was easy. Didn't landshark much. Only bled a few times. Other people say they had to carry a roll of paper towels they were cut up so much...

But be careful. He might learn: I will bite him = he will play with me. And whenever he is going want to play or your attention, he will just come to you and start biting.

And then you will be exactly where you are now, maybe even worse.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 02:41 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywhite View Post
But be careful. He might learn: I will bite him = he will play with me. And whenever he is going want to play or your attention, he will just come to you and start biting.

And then you will be exactly where you are now, maybe even worse.
That is my thought as well, and felt it didn't work for my pup.

However, if I did it over again, I'd just do the toy thing and keep up with that. I think my thoughts on the idea have changed over the months

I think that it would actually be good. When they bite, you say "NO!" then when they stop, you give them a toy and then say "yes/ good" and they learn, "Oh, biting I get yelled at, but toys get praise/ play"

Last edited by Armistice; 02-03-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page