Puppy Barking Scenario - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 05:07 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcale View Post
Perhaps carrying one out there and if I spot a person before they do, quickly put the leash on and work on the command? Sounds like a lot of work, but maybe that's required in this instance.
More or less, yes

You could get one of those 20' retractable leads. It stays under tension so it won't tangle up the dog, yet only gives them 20' of running, so when they get to the end, that's when you say "COME!" Remember, only use the command if you can reward. Never use "COME" to punish. You want your dog to obey that 100%. It could save their life one day

What I do when I take mine out to go to the bathroom is if someone is walking by, I put her in a sit and we just watch the person. No getting excited. She likes having her chest rubbed, so I'll do that if she starts getting fidgety. Give some calm praise like "Good girl being calm. See we don't care about them. Just watch. Good girl"

When the person is gone, I give a little more enthusiastic praise before going on our way
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 05:34 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcale View Post
@Nurse Bishop - I'm sorry you were thrown into the wolf pit LOL I will not be joining that forum, that's for sure.

I know people don't mean to be hurtful. It's just frustrating trying to raise these pups and feeling like you're giving 100% and it's still not enough.
If I were you I would go read Leerburg. German Shepherds are hard dogs. Leerburg trains working dogs. But there are many many pages on there that he wrote that are also useful to pet dogs. Just stay off the forum, or just lurk there. Its not Leerburg, its the other people that can be quite harsh. Yet, there is much to be learned form some of them too.
emcale likes this.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 05:44 PM
Administrator

Nothing is meant personally, OP.

Many areas are implementing breed specific legislation, and German Shepherd Dogs are on the list of usual suspects. When GSDs are allowed to frighten or bother others, it can affect everyone who owns the breed.

This is one reason that some people are very quick to make firm, sincere, recommendations. When you shared this:

Quote:
A person is walking along the street and my pups see them. They start immediately barking and running up to the person. Their hackles are raised. This bark doesnít sound playful and would scare most people away.
It's one thing to have two beagles come bounding toward you - it's quite another to have two GSDs running toward you, barking and hackling. Whether fair or unfair, it's the way the public views certain types of dogs.

It's not about picking on someone, or hazing new people - comments come from a place of concern, and wanting all dogs to be safe and successful.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend, and that both surgeries are uneventful and quick to heal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 06:22 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistice View Post
More or less, yes

You could get one of those 20' retractable leads. It stays under tension so it won't tangle up the dog, yet only gives them 20' of running, so when they get to the end, that's when you say "COME!" Remember, only use the command if you can reward. Never use "COME" to punish. You want your dog to obey that 100%. It could save their life one day

What I do when I take mine out to go to the bathroom is if someone is walking by, I put her in a sit and we just watch the person. No getting excited. She likes having her chest rubbed, so I'll do that if she starts getting fidgety. Give some calm praise like "Good girl being calm. See we don't care about them. Just watch. Good girl"

When the person is gone, I give a little more enthusiastic praise before going on our way
I would never trust a retractable lead.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

Snitches get stitches.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 06:58 PM
Elite Member

Have you considered e-collar training?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

@Armistice - Thank you for the suggestion of giving them a job when the person walks by. I will try that and have treats with me outside for positive reinforcement.

@WIBackpacker - I know it wasnít personal and no one means to be hurtful. You all care and want the best for this breed and I understand that. Thank you for explaining why some people make those quick and firm recommendations. Iíll try not to take it so personally next time. Some people just come on strong sometimes Anyway, I understand this is scary for people to have a big German Shepherd barking at them. Thatís why Iím trying to find ways to get my pups to stop doing that.

@cloudpump - I do know there is a place for retractable leads and that sometimes theyíre detrimental. I think itís a worth a try for this training technique, so I might give it a shot, although I know that a lot of people donít really like them. Thank you for your input, though.

@Muskeg - I donít know enough about the e-collar. Iíve considered it but my husband doesnít really like them. Iím sure if used correctly they would be quite helpful, especially in my situation, but I just donít know enough. I might look into that, though, and convince him. If you have any advice on them, Iíd love to hear it
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 07:22 PM
Elite Member

Sure, and I've been there, with dog siblings. I understand the challenges!

For e-collar, I recommend buying Larry Krohn's short booklet "Everything you need to know about E-collar Training". Pretty simple intro to how to properly use the collars, and costs less than $10, so worth getting just to read over and see if that's something you are interested in.

I run multiple dogs off leash and they wear the collars. I hardly ever actually use the collar, aside from the beep recall (very useful in loud areas by creeks or on windy days). But I have them if I need them. The training takes some time and practice, but it goes relatively fast, and is worth it. The collars themselves are fairly pricey, they make two-dog models. Make sure you get a high quality collar.

The training is where you really need to invest time. It's a process, and not easy so you need to make sure you do it right, but you will find it worth it, I think.
GypsyGhost likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page