Introducing Pups to New People - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

Thank you, everybody, for your response!

@cloudpump - The kids are little, ages 5 and 3. Thank you for the advice on tethering and crating them for family time. I think thatís what weíll do, and weíll definitely spend time with them away from the family. Weíll also watch them like hawks around the kids.

@WateryTart, @wolfy dog, @tim_s_adams, @KaiserAus - Thank you for your suggestion of boarding them. While that might be the best option logically, neither me nor my husband would feel good leaving them at Christmas time. I know itís dumb; the dogs donít know itís Christmas, but nonetheless we are bringing them with us. Logically it might be dumb, but we couldnít bear the other option.

We are willing to manage their behavior for the three days. These puppies have been through a lot in the 5 months theyíve been with us. They travel every weekend, weíve moved in with roommates and 5 other dogs (yes, thatís right, 5 other dogs!), they deal with new people coming over often, theyíve dealt with construction workers coming in and out. I feel they are very well-adjusted for having been through so much, and we have really worked to bond with them. Sorry for the little side track, but I guess Iím just defending the fact that they will be able to handle the newness, I was just wanting to know the best way to approach it. I really appreciate your response, though. Most people arenít crazy like us, and would probably board them

@Thecowboysgirl - Thank you for your story of how you handled your young dog in that situation. It sounds like you did a great job! I hope to control our two as well as you did yours. My husband and I are certainly willing to split up the jobs and really be on our watch. Weíve been doing it for 5 months, we can do it for three days

@wolfy dog and @WIBackpacker - Great point with the surgery thing. They will have 3 weeks to recover before we go on this trip. The vet thought that would be fine, but of course we will cancel our trip if any problems come up. Weíre prepared for a possible headache, but if we feel the surgery will affect the trip too much, we will reconsider.

@tim_s_adams - But you know your pups the best, so if you, and they, can handle it, so be it. Just manage wellÖ - Thank you for adding that. I think we can manage them. NoÖ I donít thinkÖ I KNOW we can

@Chip18 - Could you clarify your statement please? I had a hard time understanding through the written word. I understood your comment to mean that barking at strangers is unacceptable behavior. Did I understand that right? If so, I actually didnít know that. I actually like that they bark at strangers and then calm down when they see Iím calm. I understand my comment probably makes you think they wouldnít do well with family, but I know my dogs. They would not hurt my family when they see Iím comfortable with them. If I didnít understand your comment, please correct me

@Femfa - Thank you for your comment of us successfully managing two littermates. We do feel weíre doing a good job, though I know the hard part hasnít even started yet With that said, our living situation is ridiculous (look up at the third paragraph) and we just do not want to manage them intact. We have weighed the pros and cons and talked to our vet. We just feel going ahead with the surgery is the best option for us given our situation. Iím so sorry of the female who died of complications That is very sad.

Any other advice is welcome! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond.
Femfa and tim_s_adams like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 11:43 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcale View Post
@WateryTart, @wolfy dog, @tim_s_adams, @KaiserAus - Thank you for your suggestion of boarding them. While that might be the best option logically, neither me nor my husband would feel good leaving them at Christmas time. I know itís dumb; the dogs donít know itís Christmas, but nonetheless we are bringing them with us. Logically it might be dumb, but we couldnít bear the other option.

We are willing to manage their behavior for the three days. These puppies have been through a lot in the 5 months theyíve been with us. They travel every weekend, weíve moved in with roommates and 5 other dogs (yes, thatís right, 5 other dogs!), they deal with new people coming over often, theyíve dealt with construction workers coming in and out. I feel they are very well-adjusted for having been through so much, and we have really worked to bond with them. Sorry for the little side track, but I guess Iím just defending the fact that they will be able to handle the newness, I was just wanting to know the best way to approach it. I really appreciate your response, though. Most people arenít crazy like us, and would probably board them
I'm sorry! I wasn't meaning to imply they would misbehave. I was speaking through the lens of my own experience, which is that I would be past stressed out worrying about ANY little transgression (real or imagined) that might reflect poorly on my dog around kids with family members who don't know dogs and don't particularly like dogs. Pups that age can be rambunctious and exuberant - it's normal puppy behavior and not misbehavior, IMO, but try telling that to a nervous parent who only sees a German Shepherd with big teeth. I found it was easier for me to save myself the elevated blood pressure and make other arrangements for the dog; in my case it was a dog-friendly hotel room in the same city as my inlaws because she wasn't able to be boarded (still intact), and I just went back and forth between the hotel and their house.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

@WateryTart - Oh yes, I completely understand what you're saying and totally agree with you My family likes dogs, but doesn't understand their behavior to the extent we do, so your comment is very valid and something we're considering.

And yes, part of me wants to board them to save me the frustration as well, as you mentioned. I could never convince my husband, though And I would also feel guilty. So I guess I'm willing to have an elevated blood pressure this holiday season. Oh well. What else is new LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 12:52 PM
Elite Member

You mentioned you have 5 other dogs. Are all seven dogs going on this trip?
(oh, now I see these are your room mate's dogs)

I am concerned about your female dog's recovery those first two weeks with a bunch or rowdy dogs or a cross country trip. Surgical wounds can have a complication called dehiscence where the wound opens and their viscera fall out. Surely you will consider delaying the surgery.

Last edited by Nurse Bishop; 11-21-2017 at 12:57 PM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

@Nurse Bishop - Thank you for the advice. We feel, given our situation, that it would be best to go ahead and have the surgery. None of this is ideal, but nothing in my husband's and my life has been ideal these past several months (won't bore you with the details)

My husband and I have so far done a good job of keeping our dogs separate from our roommate's. Ours like to play with the puppies that she has, occasionally, but we have felt it very important to keep ours separate from the other dogs as much as possible. This will come in handy during recovery. We are planning on working out a schedule with the roommate where our dogs really won't see each other during this recovery period, especially her puppies.

Thank you, again, for your concern. I'm concerned too, but more so about delaying it.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 02:22 PM
Crowned Member

OP, let us know after Christmas how everything went. Hope the surgeries go well and you are able to control both dogs and relatives at the same time.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 03:29 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse Bishop View Post
I am concerned about your female dog's recovery those first two weeks with a bunch or rowdy dogs or a cross country trip. Surgical wounds can have a complication called dehiscence where the wound opens and their viscera fall out. Surely you will consider delaying the surgery.
Is this real? I'm guessing it must be rare. I was never warned about it before my dog's spay, but that could be good information to have.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 04:38 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WateryTart View Post
Is this real? I'm guessing it must be rare. I was never warned about it before my dog's spay, but that could be good information to have.
Yes, it happened to the dog of a friend of mine whose dog pulled out her stitches...... Even though from the outside she may looked healed, inside is also recovering. You could look into laparoscopic surgery.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 05:01 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
Yes, it happened to the dog of a friend of mine whose dog pulled out her stitches...... Even though from the outside she may looked healed, inside is also recovering. You could look into laparoscopic surgery.
Mine is done and good to go, but from a purely academic/"the more you know" stance, I am hoping Nurse Bishop will talk more about that. I'm curious.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2017, 09:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcale View Post

@Chip18 - Could you clarify your statement please? I had a hard time understanding through the written word. I understood your comment to mean that barking at strangers is unacceptable behavior. Did I understand that right? If so, I actually didnít know that. I actually like that they bark at strangers and then calm down when they see Iím calm. I understand my comment probably makes you think they wouldnít do well with family, but I know my dogs. They would not hurt my family when they see Iím comfortable with them. If I didnít understand your comment, please correct me
Yeah I get that often, my bad. Clarity and brevity are not my thing??? But upon request, I can keep it simple, as it were.

If your dog's behaviour with stranger's is fine by you, then you don't have a problem??
I like to keep it "Black and White myself, I don't do shades of grey. Either a dog is people friendly or it is not. For me, not people friendly falls into "unpredictable" around people???

I train/work with, both the same way but the difference in my response to strangers comes with the "My I Pet" question??? A people friendly dog and my answer is/was, always "Yes Please Do!" A dog with uh people issues (and I classify them as "unpredictable around people," I don't really care about why??) But for such a dog if asked to pet??? My answer would be "I rather you did not." And if pressed with my GSD, I would say "he's in training."

And he was ... he was being trained "not to bite the crap out of strangers!" No one ever asked ... in "training for what??"

Pretty much that simple, works out fine for me and dogs I work with, they get adopted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page