High drive or just high energy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-09-2014, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

High drive or just high energy?

I've read many of the "best" puppy training books. I've had two GSD's before. I bought from a reputable breeder. When we got our little guy two weeks ago, he was as normal as all the other puppies I've had have been. He was clingy, whiny, and a bundle of puppy energy just as we expected. I rescheduled my work for the first two weeks, so he hasn't spent more than 3 hours at one time by himself (other than overnight crating). He was always easily distracted, never spending more than 20 seconds on any of his toys, but he would at least nap during the day, especially after our outside play/training sessions.

Two days ago, our 9 week puppy went full-on maniac. From 0530 until 2200, he doesn't nap anymore. If we put him in his crate, which we've had to do several times now, he will settle down and nap after a few minutes. Otherwise, he's full steam ahead the entire day. I know GSD puppies are landsharks, and a bit more headstrong than most other breeds, but this little guy takes the cake.

Is he high drive or high energy? I can't seem to find any information detailing the difference. Here are the issues:

1) He constantly bites to the point that he is drawing blood. Yelping doesn't work, redirecting to his toys doesn't work, withdrawing for 20 seconds doesn't work. We have a million chew toys. Kongs with peanut butter, puppy rings, Himalayan bones, bones you put in the freezer- you name it, we have it. If you redirect him and put one in his mouth, he chews it for a second and then eats your hand. We've had to crate him at several points because we were bleeding. He isn't vicious, he wags his tail- he surely doesn't know it's wrong, but I can't get him to stop.

2) He no longer settles himself. We bought him a floor bed for when we are in the closed off room with him (otherwise, he gets crated), and he loved sleeping on it for the first few days we had it. Now, he doesn't sleep, so he doesn't even lay on it. He can't seem to find a toy, sit down, and entertain himself for more than a few seconds without going nuts and going back to the biting.

3) He is constantly scratching his ear and chewing his paws, to the point he whines in pain. We've taken him to the vet 2x already, and she has checked his ears and said they are fine. She cleaned them for us, and a minute later he was back to trying to scratch his ear off. He chews his paws incessantly.

4) He whines. A lot. Everywhere, except in his crate, where he only whines for a few minutes before settling in. He whines when he's eating, he whines when he's playing with us, he whines when he's just sitting there, he whines to get out of his play room, and his tail wags through all of it. The vet gave him a good bill of health, twice, much to my objection that something must be wrong.

5) Because of the whining and chewing on himself, it makes it very hard to get his attention and clicker train him. He's incredibly smart, I can tell already, but he doesn't have the focus to do long clicker training sessions (I say long when I mean over 2 minutes straight).

6) He was usually pretty good with housetraining. He's never messed in his crate, and the few accidents in the house were our own fault. However, because his new thing is going to the door and whining regardless of the circumstances, I can't tell if he's whining to go out now or whining because he's a whiner. This has led to two accidents in the past few days when I thought he was generally being his whiny self, but he actually had to pee.

7) He is easily distracted outside, but his recall is great. After he gets busy outside, we let him off the leash and run him around the yard to tire him out, mixed in with some training. His recall is great, but I think it's more to do with his age than anything. However, he will catch something in his eye and get laser-focused on it. A rock, a flower, a piece of mulch...he sees it, and on leash or off leash he's gonna get it or rip his leash off trying. Every time he comes in, he needs to have a trophy (usually a rock), and while he looks so cute with how proud he is when he finds it, it's annoying that it's become a ritual for him now.

He has a ton of great qualities also. He's fearless, he catches on to things quickly, and he loves human interaction. We were nervous to have a party of 15 people at our house recently, but he loved everyone and was never overwhelmed. We want to do our best to raise him properly so that we can enjoy him as a family dog. None of the advice in any of the books I've read works with his issues. I've had GSD's before, but they were female and relatively calm even as puppies. This puppy has made me question my ability and I am worried I am in over my head now. I need to raise a safe and obedient family dog, and I will never use any training methods that are not positive. Does anyone have any advice? Thank you in advance.

Last edited by kl77; 11-09-2014 at 11:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 07:23 AM

first, what are you feeding him? (may be the itchy issue)
I find sometimes with puppies, they are 'itchy' because they are losing puppy fur, and can just be plain itchy. Also could be something / cleaner type allergy used on floors/carpets?

I also find boys can be whiney I ignore.

They also don't call them landsharks for nothing Does he like tug toys? Get him tugging, keeps his jaws on something other than body parts. Get him some big bones/something appropriate that tastes good to gnaw on.

Puppies at this age can be royal pain in the butts, I'd have him outside running around as much as possible (but don't overdue since he's very young)..

Biting is also an attention getter, good or bad, it's attention.

As for 'settling', I think I told you that Masi had a very hard time settling when she was a puppy, it was GO GO GO. Sometimes getting overtired can amp them up even more. Even at 6, Masi still has ALOT of energy that needs burning off on a daily basis.

Any friends with a young/small dog you can burn some of that energy off with?

If he gets 'fixed' on something, that can be prey drive kicking in, Masi is not high in prey but high in 'play' drive.

He sounds like a normal pain in the butt puppy at this point..And hey, if you want to burn off some energy, give me a shout, I have a 20# mini aussie that LOVES to play and I have a fenced yard Or we could meet up ( cross lane firehouse has a great baseball field fenced in)..

And if he gets to much for you, feel free to drop him off at my house! He's a cutie))

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response Diane! I'm sure I'm just being an overprotective parent, but I just want to make sure I am doing right by him, and that he will grow into the kind of dog that is good with a family. I definitely would like you to meet him, I just want him to settle in a bit because he's quite the biter now and I'd feel horribly if he drew blood from you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 12:34 PM
Knighted Member

Sadly, my pup never took a nap unless put in his crate until he was over a year old... bummer because he would (you know!) be tired but he would just start cruising around the room like a hyperactive toddler just messing with things and not even sit or lie down. Crate time. Now, as long as he has gotten to play outside, he settles fairly well.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 01:38 PM
Crowned Member

I used a puppet to play with my high drive puppy. I could 'bite' the puppy with the puppet and refocus him from my face/leg/arm/ back to the puppet. That way I had control of the toy and the puppy at the same time. The puppet was never left out for free play. I only used it when I was sitting on the floor playing. He quickly learned the toy was what he played with. For this dog, I had toys within reach in every single room.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 05:07 PM

no problem, I am used to being bloody)) this mini aussie is a little mouthy with me, or being slammed into, knocked over LOL.. Masi can be brute

I think your doing ok, just run his little butt ragged, find something he likes to gnaw on, even ice cubes! Just gotta get thru the bratty puppy stage..

While you want to stay positive, even tho he's a puppy, don't be afraid to give a little correction, they have to learn what is and isn't acceptable..If he is like Masi, when he's older, a correction can be needed in certain areas, and again if like Masi, he'll take it, it won't kill him, and they will be like "oh ok lets move on"...

Anyhow, give me a shout when you want to meet up, like I said my mini aussie loves other dogs, and she's a tough little squirt, Masi is probably to big and can be real rough on a puppy

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page