What food brands will help with taming a hyper dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

What food brands will help with taming a hyper dog

I have a 10 month old male that is very high drive. He is an absolute terror. I could run him for 8 hours a day and he'd still want more. I knew what I was getting in to with the breed, breeder, and genetics that I chose, but I'm looking for something small to help tame him.

What food brands dont have ingredients that will make my GSD more hyper than he already is? (I know raw is the best way to go for this but I dont want to do it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Crowned Member

Look for products with the least amount of carbs. Not sure what brands that might be as most use some kind to add bulk, rice, potatoes, etc.. Have you tried checking dog food advisor?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 08:48 PM

Um...I guess you could try a calming aid of sorts, but GSDs are high energy. Maybe put your dog in some agility classes where he/she can work off some of that energy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Master Member

There is a Chinese formula that is Hot/cold. You feed cold foods to a Hot Dog to calm them down and Hot foods to a cold dog to energize them more.
A friend first told me about it when she went to a Holistic vet and learned of it.
Basically Hot/cold has nothing to do with the temp. of the food, but with how the Chinese view it.
Lamb and Chicken are Hot foods so if you feed them to a "Hot" dog it will hype them up.
On the other hand Duck is a "cold" food so if you feed that to a "hot " dog it will even out their energy.
At the time my friend was telling me about this, I was having issues with Frank's stools, so I thought I would use it to pick his next food, for the fun of it not because I really believed in it.
She gave me several questions which I answered, and Frank is a "hot" dog. I was really surprised when I did all 3 of my dogs what they turned out to be, and how it made sense with their personalities too.
I found a good dry food with duck only in it and started feeding it to him.
Frank didn't calm down as in giving him a drug, but it was like his brain focoused if that makes sense. His training really started to improve.
I really noticed it when I ran out of his food and fed him the other dogs' food over a weekend. He was a terror and that was the only thing that had changed. Brought his food back home and he went back to normal.
How effective it is on all dogs I don't know, or if it was just a coincidence with Frank.

frank(Rosehall's Duke of Hearts CD, BN, RN) gsd
indy (Indy Bluestorm CD, GN, RN,CGC) BC
king bc mix
Rowdy (MyHearts Red Treasure) Australian Shepherd
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 10:30 PM
Banned

the absolute best food for calming a dog is training and socialization.
you feed your dog training and socializing everyday. then stand back
and watch how he grows.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 10:51 PM
Elite Member

You need to drain his energy mentally. Think training, nose work classes, tracking etc.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 11:04 PM
Banned

don't drain his energy harness his energy and training, nose work,
classes and tracking will accomplish that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capone22 View Post

You need to drain his energy mentally. Think training, nose work classes, tracking etc.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page