WATER,WATER,WATER, and even more WATER - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

WATER,WATER,WATER, and even more WATER

Copper is about 3 1/2 months old and when it rains all he does is lick everything thats wet non stop to the point that im beginning to think he was a camel in his past life. Is there any way to break this habit even when hes on the collar leash hes still has his head down licking the moist sidewalk. Its a problem when we have to take him to the potty pen because hes so distracted he forgets to potty then cries up a storm because he has to go but repeats the aforementioned behavior. he knows leave it and it doesnt work

If hes not licking the floor hes licking the grass and with 4 cars on the property i cant have him running around licking the driveway when its wet out. he gets about 3 16oz waterbottles worth a water aside from his meal water a day and still craves more.

we just got a gentle leader for his other attention problem unrelated to water.

Copper GSD male 13 weeks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2011, 11:55 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
We used to have this problem with Shasta wanting to drink out of every puddle we came across when it rained. Which is frequently in the Seattle area. To finally break her of this habit (in our area, dogs can contract leptospirosis from drinking puddle water), I secreted a spray bottle of vinegar water in my jacket when we went outside. When she strained towards the first puddle, I told her leave it and gave her a quick squirt from the bottle. She never tried to drink puddle water again. It was uncanny, really; I think she knew all along she wasn't supposed to drink from the puddles (we'd told her "leave it" at least a bazillion times), but she just hadn't seen any downside to it at that point. But she was a little older at the time, about eight months.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 12:53 PM

Mine does the same and he is a bit younger than yours every time he is outside after it rains. He is always drinking water with the water bowl always full for him so there is no reason to be so thirsty.

I am going to have to try the spray bottle trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

stupid question you spray the water in its mouth or at the puddle?

Copper GSD male 13 weeks
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 02:09 PM

You have the dog on leash, but it sounds like he is the one with control. Tell him what you want and use the leash. Be the one in control.
If you tell him NO, LEAVE IT and he doesn't, then you need to correct him.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
I directed the spray at her face. It's not something I would normally do, but I was desperate to get her to stop drinking from the puddles. We'd just come off a mysterious fever that required a hospital stay and leptospirosis had been a possibility so I needed it to stop immediately. You can't walk up our driveway without getting near enough to at least one puddle for her to sneak a drink and she was also big enough at that point to drag me.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieDog View Post
You have the dog on leash, but it sounds like he is the one with control. Tell him what you want and use the leash. Be the one in control.
If you tell him NO, LEAVE IT and he doesn't, then you need to correct him.
hes fine on dry days he'll stay by my side its on wet days when hes a problem

Copper GSD male 13 weeks
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 11:23 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to dogdragoness
Puddles? What is that lol, mine play in puddles, but i have never seen them drinking any with Ernest. Grass is more their forte... Sometimes to the point of tossing their cookies :/

Adopting one dog won't change the world, but it will change the world of the one dog you adopt.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2011, 02:34 PM

Our 5-month-old puppy does the exact same thing. She is literally obsessed with water and will try to drink whatever water she can find. She will drink an entire bowl of fresh water and then go outside and lick the water off our deck if it has been raining and try to drink out of puddles. She just LOVES water. It's been getting a little better since we've been working on the "leave it" and "no" commands. It's been pretty rainy and wet here lately and she still occasionally tries to drink out of puddles and other strange places outside, but she'll stop the minute we correct her.

Sasha - GSD - Born 04/09/2011
Tucker - Golden Retriever - Born 07/31/2008
Tyson - Golden Retriever - Born 11/18/2010
*RIP Kodiak - GSD - 05/12/1999 - 04/09/2011*
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2011, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwemt81 View Post
Our 5-month-old puppy does the exact same thing. She is literally obsessed with water and will try to drink whatever water she can find. She will drink an entire bowl of fresh water and then go outside and lick the water off our deck if it has been raining and try to drink out of puddles. She just LOVES water. It's been getting a little better since we've been working on the "leave it" and "no" commands. It's been pretty rainy and wet here lately and she still occasionally tries to drink out of puddles and other strange places outside, but she'll stop the minute we correct her.
leave it is starting to show some results when hes wearing the gentle leader with no leash

Copper GSD male 13 weeks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page